"New" forums rant

(Nerwitz) #1

So what is this a#$ thing you actually chose to go with, looks out of any proportion (windows), the sidebar on the homepage takes half the screen space… on-screen reply boxes, some texts look way too small and in the wrong colour (grey on black?) and to that, you disabled overriding the skin to shove s–t down our throats? Finally, square-designed avatars are gone; not even mentioning anything about that. Excellent work!

Older forum version worked well across multiple browsers on the PC, despite flawed (of that I hated the bots coming every now and then), now its worse - bots are gone, but you can’t browse any page without being confused.

Once personalization, now a goofed up something. I appreciate a bit of choice, guys.

(ronboy) #2

Hello, N3rwitZ. I was first surprised at how different the forums look now versus the old design, however I’ve gotten used to it. The old design was outdated, to be honest, and there was also the problem with bots. The addition of the Discord smilies is a nice touch too. :muscle:

However, this new design isn’t perfect either. For example, the feature to see who’s online and who’s offline seems to have been removed, unless it’s hidden here somewhere.

(Nerwitz) #3

Eh, you’re, I suppose, right. Whatever the case, certain elements doesn’t work good/at all for specific browsers.

(Xenithos) #4

I LOVE YOU SAYING SMILIES. THATS WHAT I CALL THEM. Have a :cookie:

What skin did you select on the old forums and what was your reasoning for selecting it?

If you have any accessibility requirements, then we might be able to make some accommodations, e.g. a “high contrast mode” etc.

Also, mind if I ask what browser you’re using? We’ve tested on the latest versions of Chrome and Firefox.

(Mustang) #6

I have astigmatism and dyslexia, both have been shown that a white/cream/yellow background aids the afflicted, a “light” theme would be appreciated.

(Xenithos) #7

Go use Dyslexie. Font for dyslexic people, made by a dyslexic doctor I believe.

Nice find!

It’s also been suggested that Comic Sans is good for people with dyslexia and others who are either learning to read or suffering legibility issues. But given the stigma associated with Comic Sans, Comic Neue is probably a more appealing modern option.

(Nerwitz) #9

You got that wrong, meaning behind was I could use the old design instead the update in a single click (something like reddit’s design switching mechanism). As opposed to the old design, these were the bare bones of an easily accessible forum and perfectly fit for any resolution, at the moment you have some uselessly big text, mostly on the message board homepage. A lightweight “skin” on the looks would make more sense.

I can pull a lot of reasons, one most sensible being I can’t stand mess on my screen, and I ain’t having 4K desktop; I love my 1080p config but because sunlight here becomes a killer for the eye, I am running a real low 1024x768 resolution. Then I got used to that for a lot of things I do on the PC (also graphical design), don’t blame me for staying cool!

Browsing Firefox 59.0 right now, occasionally using Pale Moon - I don’t favor Cheaprome.

(BrightIs) #10

I am away from this forum for only a few years and look what’s been done to the place :roll_eyes:

Preferred the old style.

Hi there!

Unfortunately, the “old style” forums were running an outdated version of vBulletin, and were longer receiving security or bug fixes. Therefore, a decision was made last year to migrate everything on to a much more up to date platform.

We’d rather continue to be able to provide a modern community experience, rather than having to permanently shut down services because they’re no longer being supported.

If you have any constructive criticism that helps us understand what you liked more about the old forums, then we’d love to hear it.

Thanks!

(BrightIs) #12

Thanks for the information. Sounds a reasonable choice to make.

The only suggestion I can offer is that the main forum page with all the sub forums be more condensed so one can see more on the screen without having to scroll down.

(ronboy) #13

Welcome back! Personally, it took me a while to get used to this new forum design, but I got used to it after some time. I’ve been here since 2010, so for a while I too was missing the old design. :sweat_smile: