New Feature: Casual Matchmaking

(nanuger) #21

@Pinflux said:
Casual matchmaking provides us with the tools to better balance matches, and gives you the ability to** (finally) play with your friends in a party**.
but thanks to the removal of 8v8 and the removal of serverbrowser, we cant play with our friends/clan on the same server anymore.
“adding some features later on”, when is it good to remove features when not having replacements ready. seems like my clan has to look into other games till privatservers/rentent servers or anything alike thats lets us play with 7 or more players at once will be possible in dirtybomb. we dont play ranked because its 5v5. was it neccessary to remove every highpopulationserver?

Having said this, Casual won’t require the same level of commitment as Ranked, and players who drop out can be replaced mid-match.

Casual Mode is 6v6, the new standard Dirty Bomb match size. We’ve been moving towards 6v6 and 5v5 with our map design philosophy since our initial launch, which allows for more strategic play and makes your role in matches more important.
reading as: lets remove tactical classes and gameplay by shrinking teams, thereby removing dedicated roles in dirtybomb.
reading as: lets remove the roles in dirtybomb by removing the playerspots to switch creativ gameplay. less players per team = less divers teamsetups.

Making true on one of the most requested features we’ve had since launching, Casual matchmaking gives you the ability to party up with 1 to 5 of your Steam friends and hone your teamplay in a casual setting. Splash Damage was founded by friends meeting through clan play, so this is the next step in our vision of forging long-lasting friendships in the game itself.
reading as: lets change a multiplayergame into coop with playerlimit of 1 per match.
i like to play with my friends, i like to play against my friends. now i can just play with 5 friends, 2 less then preupdate and against 0 friends, 8 less the preupdate.
so your vision of friendship is that we tbag every ENEMY we encounter.
how our friendship developed, by introducing new players to games, by being nice to enemys, therefore growing our gamingcommunity.

But please stick with us; These are the foundations for a bright future that we’re finally able to start laying for the game. We’re 100% focused on improving the experience, and adding new and exciting features that are impossible with Quick Join (like matching players by preferred playing style).

Any feedback on ways we can improve matchmaking is, as always, more than welcome.
DO NOT remove features of your game, when you dont have replacemence ready.

(nanuger) #22

dont remove gamefeatures without having replacements ready.
great now we can teamup as group of 6, my gameingcommunity is based around with each other.
lets see what the new update gives us:
i can play with 5 of my clanmates, 2 less then preupdate.
i can play against 0 of my clanmates, 8 less then preupdate.
lets see if thats an error in the matchmaking/serverbrowser, no its not forumposts confirm it as INTENDED. wtf.
so ranked players that dont there full team up can now enjoy playing casual, and all the old casual players that didnt play ranked, because of the limiting ranked ruleset, cant even play public anymore. some publics might be encouraged to play ranked now with a more similar ruleset. but did you have to srew over everyone else in publics?
there woud be 0 harm in leaving server in serverbrowsers with larger teams. but you have to activly discourage teamplay

(ImSploosh) #23

CMM has so many problems, the UI has some issues, and the RNG involved with the paid Javelin content is terrible. Dome also isn’t very good, the first Obj at least.

The update showed a lot of potential, but it didn’t follow through on that potential in my opinion. I love Javelin though, she’s a nice addition, although maybe a bit too strong. I think my only gripe is that the rocket travels too fast.

(kopyright) #24

The only thing I would change about the team introduction screen is not playing the same merc’s voice line several times in a row when two players have the same merc in their roster.

As for CMM I had two matches yesterday, both of which were more or less balanced (1 win, 1 loss). So far I am willing to remain optimistic about it.

(Xenithos) #25

@Unrivaled said:

@Xenithos said:

@Unrivaled said:

@ImSploosh said:
I don’t like hearing that there won’t be any objective servers in the server browser. I don’t like Stopwatch much because it requires a long stay to finish the match most of the time. I’m also worried about getting stuck in matches with tryhards 24/7. If I wanted that, I’d play ranked. There’s some people that play Dirty Bomb as hard as they can every match. It’s like they’re not even trying to have fun. D:

Exactly my thoughts. I doubt I’ll stick to DB after that, and if I do I probably won’t play anything else than Ranked. If I wanna have fun, I’ll just play other games I guess.

What you said and what he’s worried about are different. You’re just flat out like “this sucks,” he’s like, “I’ll try this but I’m honestly concerned.”

You seem to have a really poor understanding of people’s opinions.

Just the fact that my post starts with “I doubt”, ends with “I guess” and has “probably” in the middle and that you still concluded that I was “just flat out like this sucks” means you’re probably not the smartest person around anyway.
Oh really? Well let’s look at this together sir.
I doubt I’ll stick to DB after that, and if I do I probably won’t play anything else than Ranked. If I wanna have fun, I’ll just play other games I guess.
You doubt you’ll stick, SIMPLY based on those changes, and IF YOU DO (meaning it’s a low chance ALREADY, sounds like you ALREADY GAVE UP) You won’t play anything BUT the over serious gamemode, which is OPPOSITE Sploosh’s point, that he doesn’t enjoy being stuck in matches 24/7 with tryhards. Mr. “If I want to have fun” IF YOU ARENT HAVING FUN, SAY THAT, NO NEED TO ADD SOME OTHER GAME.

If I’m wrong and assuming, whatever, but YOU need to work on your wording more. NOT the other way around. I’m not going to sit here and call you “not the smartest person around” either, as THAT is abuse. Learn the forum rules, and learn to talk without this I’ve already given up anti-dirty bomb sound to your “opinions.” Because otherwise, it looks like your post is like the bajillion I’ve already seen and don’t care about.
–Which is CERTAINLY not a constructive one.

(Xenithos) #26

Alright, Feedback time!

Bug report(ish) about a resolution and rendering issue:

! There’s some sort of auto-resolution scaling bug in-game that’s incredibly annoying. It was turned on RANDOMLY as in I didn’t personally enable it, and it had been bugging me for a week… turns out there’s this slider that even AFTER I disabled it, and it FELT like it sorta worked, kept the game at 50% rendered or something. It was terrible. I’ll be posting a bug report the moment I see the bug form with additional details.

Thoughts on Dome Redux

! Dome’s first objective is definitely MUCH more hectic and “Dirty Bomb feeling,” however it’s kinda hard for attackers/unco-ordinated attackers at least. The third one seems the same. I think all in all a small look at some graphs of where the movement is being stopped, or maybe it was just team balance in Dome… (that first objective seems only SLIGHTLY in favor of defenders… unlike vault which is hugely in favor of defenders) will be very useful in the time to come.

CMM and "highlights:"

! CMM is still in need of work, those “highlights” especially. You highlighted someone on my team for being the best turtle that played turtle for like 14 seconds… he put down one shield. I’m guessing your filter goes by exp/class/time… in which case you should probably add a minimum time, or just change how that is chosen as a highlight. CMM as itself, I’ve actually only had two STOMPS out of the 10 roughly games I’ve played tonight. Which has been awesome! Not everyone’s been getting those results though. Furthermore, the party creating thing was kind of hard to get my head around with ZERO explanation, as in you make a party before launching ANY gamemode now. But, that’s kinda of a nitpick I guess.

Some small tutorial feedback that I just feel is necessary:

! I went through the tutorial just to see how it felt, and honestly, there’s a ton you guys DONT say that should still be said. Mainly: Charging Defibs, holding ‘z’ to see teammates and their health as ALL characters more clearly, giving ammo to other players (isn’t really stressed enough) AND healing characters taking time… ALSO, that medics are more aggressive than in other games.

Server Browser and Stopwatch Feedback

! I also played some stopwatch and for some reason the huge amount of servers were filling up really fast and it was awesome. I’m guessing the removal of all of the excessive execution servers allowed there to be an abundance of servers to actually enjoy, and you could even start an empty one and have it fill in a minute or so! (US EAST EXPERIENCE HERE…) Sad to see those maps go to waste though, still holding out for a different gamemode or those to be incorporated when you allow rentable servers… GREAT PINGS on almost EVERY match I played today, really it was wonderful! Despite the first few matches having that rendering bug… gosh that was annoying, took me an hour to fix… BUT, I got 4-6 quality hours of playtime in today to test everything! :slight_smile:

Feedback on weapon balance changes

! Shotguns: I’m actually dying to shotguns a lot less, so either whatever you did WORKED, or it was done too well… OR maybe I was just running into plebs with them, as I didn’t even touch a shotgun today. I DID run into Sagan on roids, was nice seeing him, but he didn’t even TOUCH a shotgun more than once today, and I don’t recall him living very long with it as his team was kinda crap.
! Snipers: They seem to be slightly weaker… as intended. However, the amount of bullets it takes to kill people is still a joke, except for grandeur. Grandeur feels like it’s in a good spot now. PDP is still a pain to go against, and any good sniper is still a threat, so over-all I’d say the changes were OKAY. Nothing to really talk about in all honesty. The sniper players are sniper players still :slight_smile:
! Burst weapons: Lol - You can barely tell anything changed, they BARELY feel weaker. The one I was seriously using was the br-16, but honestly, they DO feel more in line, just… not by much. Does that make any sense? Like… I dunno. I’m still killing people with the BR-16 pretty well. I did find myself whipping out my pistol a tiny bit more though… Again, too early to really be able to tell.
! Revolvers - Honestly didn’t touch them, but wasn’t dying too much to pistols and junk like that anyway, changes seemed to have small effect? Good or bad still not sure. The deagle still feels clunky to me, wasn’t happy to have that on Javelin in all honesty. Speaking of Javelin…

Javelin:

The new Gun (tl:dr heavy blish, it’s balanced well I think.) -

! Her gun is just weird, takes some getting used to, but it FEELS balanced… Kinda like the assault rifle equivalent of the blishlock. Slightly weaker than Machine Guns and I honestly prefer the Crotzni or the Br-16. The dreiss on her isn’t my style, but it was being used effectively by many other players today. The sound is nice, but a little oomph lacking, wish it had a litte bit more of a crack to it. Again, kinda like a heavier blish - Balanced
Abilities TL:DR - (rockets and ammo - a bit much? - she’s only “OP” when there’s more than one of her imo. Her ammo giving DOES have a weakness, currently it’s her only real one.)
! Her rocket launcher and ammo ability on the other hand… not so much. She feels easy, like, not the 50k price-point EASY. Always full ammo (unless you’re firing an absolute ton of lead) and her rocket launcher is a little bit more spammy Or damagey than it really probably needs. I think if there were a merc cap (which I am NOT a fan of) she’d be a perfectly balanced unit. BUT, on her own when you can run several of her, she just kinda… wipes teams. Like they’re a joke. She’s a really sweet ammo support unit to have if you don’t feel like running an assault merc. Her ammo ability does seem like a solid upgrade, but it DOES have a weakness that becomes more apparent when there are few of her. Her biggest weakness, which isn’t MUCH of one (SO FAR as most matches have 2+ of her), is having to run to her to get ammo, or having to run to stupid teammates across streets to give ammo. It IS annoying when you have to do that as her radius is rather small.

My general opinion about Javelin…
Basically, she feels like the Phoenix of the Fire supports… she’s the best one there, the most dangerous/useful one in the right hands. But when you have more than one, it’s just a bit much. Constantly on the front-lines and constantly an annoyance. She’s not great at destroying EVs, but her damage potential is very solid in co-ordinated teams. Her guided missiles take a LOT of practice. And her RPG killing people instantly WITH gib might be a bit much. But… compared to laser of death, or constant arty spam from good arties, I’d say she’s actually balanced. Barely “better.” And again, her main problem is when you can run 3-4 of her. Even having two means there’s no point to have other ammo givers, and her ability puts her on point of half an assault unit.

What would I do to balance her IF she IS going through balancing?

! If you just nerfed her hp to 110, she would be better balanced. Just like how Phoenix has slightly less hp than Sawbonez, she should have less hp. If you make her slightly weaker IN THIS WAY then you enable people to better kill her as she’s charging a direct rocket or even a guided one. AND it makes it harder for her to survive without a good team and smarter play. This move would increase the skill component of playing with AND fighting against her. AND this still enables her to pack a nice punch in team fights. Maybe even increase her rocket cool down by 3 or so seconds, OR increasing her time to fire it by another half second or so. Again, she’s REALLY close to balance, and currently I don’t like her when there’s MULTIPLES of her. This same complaint is against several different mercs anyway, proxies, vassilis (slightly different reason :D), and auras, rhinos, etc) Which just also happens to be really common right now. She is NOT like Phantom or Thunder when they were first added, she’s actually close to balanced and I can see that you guys TRIED to balance her WITH her role and character in mind.

Truly, it’s rather early to give a full opinion about ANY of these changes, but I think after my ~6 hours this is pretty close to accurate. So far this update IS a move forward for SD and DB. Javelin’s in a slightly powerful position, but with a small change to her, and maybe to Dome, and probably MORE changes to CMM this updates additions will really shine… I’ll be making a video over this update after I get some sleep, tonight’s been fun SD

(Frogteam) #27

I’m really enjoying the update, put in a bunch of hours today. Bought the Javelin bundle but haven’t played her yet, too busy playing Rhino to get a feel for Shotgun and Revolver nerfs. Definitely felt the changes, shotgun is a little more consistent and less devastating, which I like, and Revolvers really need headshots now to take enemies down, still not sure if the revolver change was necessary.

Playing against Javelin has felt good so far, but the rocket might need a priming sound, or a longer delay to make it more obvious that it’s going to be fired. Pineapple Juggler worked well, took a while to get used to fighting her, but I got some good deflections in, and even killed a Javelin with her rocket. Bounced Sniff’s rocket and knifed him down, so that was a cool experience.

Ran into the Resolution scaling bug at the beginning of a stopwatch match and couldn’t figure out how to fix it, had to restart afterwards to fix it. And I never ended up in Dome so I can’t speak to those changes.

EDIT: Oh, and the Resolution bug happened after I went into Video then Game settings to check my Crosshair.
~~ ~~
This is a real Signature.

(videoboy4000) #28

I was never interested in CMM. Now you removed min level servers from server browser, the only servers that i enjoyed.

My last 160 levels i played exclusively there. Now i lost all the fun i had in this game. Will check from time to time if min level servers are back.

(Sgt_Engee) #29

I would like 8 v 8 objective mode to come back please.

(Unrivaled) #30

@Xenithos said:

@Unrivaled said:

@Xenithos said:

@Unrivaled said:

@ImSploosh said:
I don’t like hearing that there won’t be any objective servers in the server browser. I don’t like Stopwatch much because it requires a long stay to finish the match most of the time. I’m also worried about getting stuck in matches with tryhards 24/7. If I wanted that, I’d play ranked. There’s some people that play Dirty Bomb as hard as they can every match. It’s like they’re not even trying to have fun. D:

Exactly my thoughts. I doubt I’ll stick to DB after that, and if I do I probably won’t play anything else than Ranked. If I wanna have fun, I’ll just play other games I guess.

What you said and what he’s worried about are different. You’re just flat out like “this sucks,” he’s like, “I’ll try this but I’m honestly concerned.”

Just the fact that my post starts with “I doubt”, ends with “I guess” and has “probably” in the middle and that you still concluded that I was “just flat out like this sucks” means you’re probably not the smartest person around anyway.
I doubt I’ll stick to DB after that, and if I do I probably won’t play anything else than Ranked. If I wanna have fun, I’ll just play other games I guess.
You doubt you’ll stick, SIMPLY based on those changes, and IF YOU DO (meaning it’s a low chance ALREADY, sounds like you ALREADY GAVE UP) You won’t play anything BUT the over serious gamemode, which is OPPOSITE Sploosh’s point, that he doesn’t enjoy being stuck in matches 24/7 with tryhards. Mr. “If I want to have fun” IF YOU ARENT HAVING FUN, SAY THAT, NO NEED TO ADD SOME OTHER GAME.

If I’m wrong and assuming, whatever, but YOU need to work on your wording more. NOT the other way around. I’m not going to sit here and call you “not the smartest person around” either, as THAT is abuse. Learn the forum rules, and learn to talk without this I’ve already given up anti-dirty bomb sound to your “opinions.” Because otherwise, it looks like your post is like the bajillion I’ve already seen and don’t care about.

Don’t you have anything else to do in your life other than trying to analyse a sentence on a forum?

@Xenithos said:
You won’t play anything BUT the over serious gamemode

“If I wanna have fun, I’ll just play other games I guess.” But you still concluded I wouldn’t play anything but the over serious game mode?

@Xenithos said:
which is OPPOSITE Sploosh’s point, that he doesn’t enjoy being stuck in matches 24/7 with tryhards.

My opinion and Sploosh’s are exactly the same, not the opposite… Do I really need to explain this? When I play Ranked, obviously I expect more serious games than when I play pub, and that’s why I’ll maybe keep playing Ranked… But let’s say 80% of my gaming time is for fun, then in these 80% of my time, “I don’t like Stopwatch much because it requires a long stay to finish the match most of the time. I’m also worried about getting stuck in matches with tryhards 24/7. If I wanted that, I’d play ranked. There’s some people that play Dirty Bomb as hard as they can every match. It’s like they’re not even trying to have fun. D:”

If I can’t have fun on Dirty Bomb anymore, then I’ll go have fun on other games.

@Xenithos said:
IF YOU ARENT HAVING FUN, SAY THAT, NO NEED TO ADD SOME OTHER GAME.

Don’t tell me what to do. I write things however I want, and if I wanna talk about other games, or in this case just about the fact I’ll play them, I’ll do it.

@Xenithos said:
but YOU need to work on your wording more

Pretty ironic when looking at your post.

(ImSploosh) #31

@Sgt_Engee said:
I would like 8 v 8 objective mode to come back please.

Agreed. They claim they want to shrink the size of the matches, “tighten” the gameplay, and shrink the maps, but Dirty Bomb just isn’t designed in such a way. We have a fast-paced game with enormous abilities, yet they’re trying to shrink everything else? Fast-paced games have fairly large maps, that’s just how it is because if they didn’t, we’d be crossing the map in seconds and everything turns into a clusterfook. The new Dome is a good example of this problem. Especially that first objective. Vault is also another good example for the most part.

6v6 is okay, but not nearly as fun as 7v7 or 8v8- especially in Pubs. The more players you have in Pubs, the better chance you have for balance, like when someone leaves the match.

Anyways, CMM just has too many issues and I can’t play it much. Just my opinion I guess. CMM wasn’t really needed and it sucks that so many people wanted it (apparently). It has a lot of things that need to be fixed. To be honest, if it was switched to Stopwatch rather than Obj, that would be much better. Or if we could at least have some Obj servers in the server browser…

I’m pretty much done with DB at this point. I’ve played almost everyday for 2 years, but looks like that’s coming to an end. I’ll keep coming back weekly to check it out, play a couple matches, see if the issues get sorted out, but I’ve lost hope. The direction it’s going in just isn’t the right direction to me.

(bgyoshi) #32

7v7 and 8v8 have no place in DB. I still don’t understand why the formats exist in the first place, both of them are too crowded and spammy and don’t reflect the game play the game was built for. We’ve gotten used to it over the years, but for the first 6 months or so after release, everyone hated anything above 6v6. Then they killed 6v6 servers and the people that enjoyed 6v6 either played Ranked, quit, or just stuck with 7v7 and 8v8 begrudgingly.

This game is finally developing in the right direction, the devs are finally listening to us and pumping out the content we want. Albeit, the content is a bit broken, but SD devs have never been top notch. But it’ll get fixed.

Guys, CMM is an excellent idea that just needs tweaking:

1. Why did you remove Objective from the server browser? Here’s how CMM needs to work:
  • While searching for other players or games, put players in a temporary pub/server browser objective mode server with enough open slots to fit all the players. That way they can play while they wait for a match
  • When a queue is found, remove the players from the game and give exp/credit for the temporary play
  • Keep Obj in the server browser for everyone else. They’ll just have to play with the understanding that some of the players in their game might not be there the entire match due to being CMM queuers
  1. In the future when there are more players, the option to select Stopwatch/Obj mode
  2. Prioritize games in progress for solo/duo queuers. Put them into existing CMM games that people bailed on first
  3. Get the damn AFK kick timer working in CMM games
  4. Rematch option at the end of the round. Instead of forcing players back into the queue, let them choose to rematch or not. If they choose yes, they stay. If they choose no, they leave, and their slot can be filled in with other queuing CMM players.
  5. Show the casual mode skill rank. Whatever skill system you’re using, I imagine it’s being boiled down into some number that the game code uses to match people. Show that number to us in our profile.
  6. Give us that CMM end of game screen in all modes. It’s everything I’ve ever wanted to see at the end of a match and it should be at the end of ALL matches, not just CMM or Ranked.
  7. In the pre-game intro screen, the mercs should stand side by side like in the end game screen, with their cards laid out in front of them, instead of fanned out. It’s almost impossible to see any card but the first one. You should also add this screen to the end game screen so we can flip through it on our own. Just add a sidebar button for it like you have currently.

Keep the updates coming, these are all amazing updates!

(TitaniumRapture) #33

Wondering why they did remove that number of revives stat from CMM. It was even in test version of CMM. It is one of the best stats for medic (together with healing done which isnt shown either anyways :confused: ). :frowning:

(Deleius) #34

@bgyoshi said:
7v7 and 8v8 have no place in DB. I still don’t understand why the formats exist in the first place, both of them are too crowded and spammy and don’t reflect the game play the game was built for. We’ve gotten used to it over the years, but for the first 6 months or so after release, **everyone **hated anything above 6v6. Then they killed 6v6 servers and the people that enjoyed 6v6 either played Ranked, quit, or just stuck with 7v7 and 8v8 begrudgingly.

Speak for yourself. There are enough people who want to play 7v7 or 8v8.

Those servers could work like the Arcade-Mode in Overwatch and keep the players around who are not interested in ranked (and now CMM) and want that “crowded and spammy” chaos of 7v7 or 8v8. It is fun for a lot of people.

And why were the 8v8 servers always full and those 6v6 (Min20) servers empty? Because noone cared about 6v6. Don’t use “everyone”, because it clearly isn’t true.

(Xenithos) #35

@Unrivaled said:

@Xenithos said:

@Unrivaled said:

@Xenithos said:

@Unrivaled said:

@ImSploosh said:

Don’t you have anything else to do in your life other than trying to analyse a sentence on a forum?

Sigh, you’re either a hypocrite or a troll, and I’m done caring. If you want fun, I simply assure you that casual is pretty fun, NOT just locked to try-hardness. Anywho, adios.

(Sgt_Engee) #36

Whelp, shoe confirmed the servers are gone for good.

Shoe addressed it today the weekly video on the YouTube channel. At the 2:38 mark:

“Objective mode will continue to only be playable in NA and EU regions via causal matchmaking”.