New Dev Video: Improved Quick Join

(Chris Mullins) #1

Hey all!

Quick Join is getting some upgrades, but that means…

Unofficial PUG Discord: https://discord.gg/ThrWFvP
Community Spotlight: ‘Dirty Bomb - King Of Melee - Stream Highlights’ by Pug of Wallstreet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIGcl3aGN9w

Follow us on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/DirtyBomb
Subscribe to us on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/dirtybombgame/videos
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DirtyBombGame/
Follow us on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/DirtyBomb

Enjoy!
shoe.

(kopyright) #2

Well, that’s… underwhelming at best? As much as I welcome the return of min/max servers I don’t really see how not being able to queue up with my clan mates will improve our experience.

(Unrivaled) #3

There’s something I’ll never understand. Why can’t we have CMM and the Server Browser at the same time?

I quit the game almost a year ago and haven’t played ever since, because you removed the Server Browser, which was the only thing that made me enjoy DB. You forced me to use CMM, which I didn’t like, by removing the Server Browser. I actually played on Russian servers for a while, before being too sick of lagging to keep playing the game. I was not against CMM, it was just not for me and I didn’t like how serious the games were, how little control I had over what I was going to play.

It’s needless to say that I like these changes a lot, and I might actually come back to the game. But what about all those that liked CMM? What about all those that only play with friends? They’re just gonna quit.

Don’t get me wrong, now that the game is almost entirely dead, I do understand why you remove CMM, obviously it’s very hard to balance games with such a small playerbase. But when the game was still alive, you had the chance to implement both properly into the game. Instead you killed the game for me and all those that didn’t like CMM (or should I say, those that didn’t like being forced into CMM).

Too late, you killed your game SD, and even though this update seems awesome for me, you might be killing the game even more with it.

I won’t even mention Ranked, I don’t know if it’s a good thing that this parody of a competitive mode goes away, or if it’s just sad because it means that the game is sinking deeper into this category of random casual games no one cares about.

I guess nostalgia is the only reason to play the game nowadays.

(B_Montiel) #4

@kopyright said:
Well, that’s… underwhelming at best? As much as I welcome the return of min/max servers I don’t really see how not being able to queue up with my clan mates will improve our experience.

For some people it will definitely lower their experience to say the least. But queuing with your teammates as a full 5 man bunch is like a proper denial of any possible balance.

This said, try to move a step sideways : join community servers where we generally try to keep team fair when possible, try yourselves on pugs or private matches, that’s what you should do when you’re grouping up with friends.

(GatoCommodore) #5
                                                   no more ranked                                                                     

finally im released from this mortal coil

(Mc1412013) #6

So um hmmm whats the conversion rates for ranked points to rads i know it wont be 1-1

(JonBongNoJovi) #7

Ah well ,will check back next week to see if it’s worth loading up game.

(bgyoshi) #8

So… reverting back to how the game was on beta release

Which didn’t work

Can’t queue with friends anymore, again

Which didn’t work

Bringing back min and max servers

Which should never have left

Objective goes back to server browser and stopwatch goes back to quick join

• Which means players will stick to objective mode servers and ignore Quick Join altogether
  • Because objective mode is fast and Stopwatch is too slow for casual
  • Which is what happened on beta release
  • Which didn’t work out in the end
  • Because you couldn’t play with friends

I dunno about anyone else but this update makes me think the devs feel completely defeated from all the aggressively obnoxious players that whine about imbalanced games. They’re just reverting the game back to it’s original state and hoping things change when 1.0 comes out. But I can assure you, new players are going to come in, want to play on a team with their friends, and not want to have to go through the infinite hoop jumping required to join up PUG servers, find matches, find times to play, find open servers, blah blah blah. And with no way to play with their friends, they’ll never break their Overwatch days or their CS: GO days or any of those games that they already play with their friends, and DB will once again fall under their radar.

I guess we’ll just have to see, but I can’t see how this move will be anything but immediately damaging to what’s left of the casual community. The people that hated CMM don’t get anything, since they played server browser anyway. The players that only played for Ranked don’t gain anything, as they only played PUG’s anyway. The players that queued with friends no longer get to, and will probably just change games.

While balance algorithms and what have you are changing, people don’t leave games because they’re imbalanced; they leave games because they aren’t winning and can’t change teams. I’ve been in complete stomps with both teams at basically equal player level, and I’ve been in complete stomps where the team with a vastly lower average rank is stomping. I’ve been in perfectly balanced games with a strong back and forth that are suddenly losing because one player leaves, and when they become losing games, the rest of the losing team quits too. It’s honestly very rare that I ever play a game that starts with a full server and ends with a full server of the same players. 90% of the time, more than half the players at the end of the round are not the same players that started the round.

Instead of being 100% negative though, let’s be fair.

• In a game with a very low population, optimizing it for solo queuing is ideal
  • Ranked is gone, but with playing competitively being touted as the core of DB, I suspect this means the devs have some plans for making it something good. Going back to the drawing board, growing the PUG and casual tournament community, cherry picking ideas from the communities, then implementing a bigger and better Ranked
  • There’s no more mode disparity: 6v6 and/or 7v7 are going to be the dominating modes. I just pray we see more 6v6 in the PUG communities, and a complete abandoning of 5v5 altogether
  • As mentioned, while this is a step back to a time that didn’t work out in DB’s favor, it looks more like a step back to redesign, and not a step back to give up

So there’s hope I suppose. I hope. I hope there’s hope. I’m hopeful!

(B_Montiel) #9

@bgyoshi Stopwatch will still be available through server browser. They just mentioned they’ll remove ranked for a stopwatch quick join.

(_milla) #10

removing ranked ? why?

(ThePigVomit) #11

No ranked = /wrists

I lived for ranked, even if I did suck at it.

I have a REAL need to know what the conversion rate will be.

Will it follow the current pricing in the ranked store? I’ve got 6000 ranked points that i DO NOT want to fritter away.

Please give guidance @stayfreshshoe

(bgyoshi) #12

@B_Montiel said:
@bgyoshi Stopwatch will still be available through server browser. They just mentioned they’ll remove ranked for a stopwatch quick join.

Yes I know, but hardly anyone played it in the server browser, and few people used Quick Join because it’s just automated server browsing. Now it’ll find an open server with some parameters filtering it’s choice… but it’s still just automated server browsing. Everyone played Obj Mode server browser, that’s what they’ll do again.

(kopyright) #13

@B_Montiel said:

@kopyright said:

For some people it will definitely lower their experience to say the least. But queuing with your teammates as a full 5 man bunch is like a proper denial of any possible balance.

This said, try to move a step sideways : join community servers where we generally try to keep team fair when possible, try yourselves on pugs or private matches, that’s what you should do when you’re grouping up with friends.

We rarely get a full team of five people together, but chatting with my friends is definitely more entertaining than playing with faceless teammates. I see how this will improve my experience when playing solo, but as a clan game it’s getting way less interesting now.

(B_Montiel) #14

Delete post

(Mc1412013) #15

@_milla said:
removing ranked ? why?

Same reason they said there happy with phantom cuz they dont wanna deal wirh it any more

First execution then ranked. Whats next stopwatch because some one complained it takes to long to complete or remove obj because its too short and the other team doesnt get to try to blow shit up.

Also does the removal of ranked mean there less interested in calling this a competitve game?

(Begin2018) #16

Is this real or a late April’s fool joke? If it’s real, that’s the best news we got since YEARS.

If something is broken, it’s better to remove it than keeping it broken. And when (if) you’ll have a working Ranked, you’ll still can push it when ready.

Looking at shop prices, I think Ranked points to Rads conversion ratio will be around 1:1, maybe 1:1.1 or 1:1.2.

(StIwY) #17

Are you serious ? Removing ranked ? Was working fine, just the algorithm needed some tweaks…like not pairing bronze with golds or high silvers…but no you want to get rid of it ? Time to uninstall i guess.

(Mc1412013) #18

How long before we get the execution speech for ranked…
Just like execution ranked will make a comeback for rentable servers that will be ready for db 2.0 in 3 yrs.

(Szakalot) #19

Seems okay except removing ranked, really.

As a temporary fix, sure, but ranked should be back at some point. Maybe as 6v6 or 8v8 lol

(Xenithos) #20

@Begin2018 said:
If something is broken, it’s better to remove it than keeping it broken. And when (if) you’ll have a working Ranked, you’ll still can push it when ready.

That’s a very interesting look at life you got there. Musta had great siblings and parents and fellow companions in school.

I have a REAL need to know what the conversion rate will be.

Will it follow the current pricing in the ranked store? I’ve got 6000 ranked points that i DO NOT want to fritter away.
A number of 8 rads per ranked point has been floating around. I’d let all of those ranked points get converted.> @ThePigVomit said: