Need an absolutely Potato config.

(Xyfurion) #1

As the title states, I need a config that can let Dirty Bomb run on the worst machines. I’ve had many requests for a config as such and would like to implement it into HUDEdit.

Thank You :smile:

(doxjq) #2

Just make one? I just put everything on absolutely minimum and then chuck texturepoolsize 1 on.

Can you even go more potato? I don’t really need to but I’m curious to know what other cmds there are.

(Dagasawr) #3

the only decent config i know of is sick6 Newb’s other than that im no help xD

(Thai-San) #4

I’m glad the potato times are over…

yaiks…

(Dagasawr) #5

[quote=“ThaiSan;206268”]I’m glad the potato times are over…

yaiks…[/quote]

i wish i knew about that before they removed them, it looks like my quake config :smiley:

(doxjq) #6

[quote=“Daga;206269”][quote=“ThaiSan;206268”]I’m glad the potato times are over…

yaiks…[/quote]

i wish i knew about that before they removed them, it looks like my quake config :smiley:
[/quote]

Haha likewise. Picmip ftw.

Yes! Sick6 newb’s config is a decent choice.
There are two more things you can try out to boost your FPS.

First of all, open the console by pressing ~ and type in texturepoolsize 1.
Do that in the main game menu to have it take effect the next match you play.

Furthermore you can lower the ScreenPercentage number in the ShooterEngine file.

[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/lbGOxEg.jpg[/spoiler]

To make it look like the above screenshot, change it to 50.000000
You can even go lower but I do not recommend that.

There is also the possibility to create an autoexec file that loads every time you start Dirty Bomb.
The user hypnotoad explained it in this thread.

http://forums.dirtybomb.nexon.net/discussion/29380/make-colorgrading-2-and-fogdensity-0-permanent-options#latest

Good luck! :slight_smile:

(Amerika) #8

[quote=“Daga;206269”][quote=“ThaiSan;206268”]I’m glad the potato times are over…

yaiks…[/quote]

[/quote]

Screenshots always came out brighter than my game actually was.

(Thai-San) #9

@Amerika

(RazielWarmonic) #10

[quote=“ThaiSan;206321”]@Amerika

I’m glad someone posted this, because I was about to.

(Herr_Hanz) #11

[quote=“Amerika;206298”][quote=“Daga;206269”][quote=“ThaiSan;206268”]I’m glad the potato times are over…

yaiks…[/quote]

[/quote]

Screenshots always came out brighter than my game actually was.

[/quote]

makes me think of tier 2 the sarge fight arena in quake 3 arena. (thats the only quake i played, fav char was anarky/major)

(Mc1412013) #12

[quote=“ThaiSan;206268”]I’m glad the potato times are over…

yaiks…[/quote]

I miss those days of gamming on a pc when even the crapies of vid cards still worked decent

(Thai-San) #13

That’s true. But that being possible is unfair to people with better PCs because an enemy in front of an untextured wall is easier to spot then an enemy in front of a old and overgrown stonebrick wall.

That’s the reason why SD changed it and I totally agree with that.

(Amerika) #14

That’s true. But that being possible is unfair to people with better PCs because an enemy in front of an untextured wall is easier to spot then an enemy in front of a old and overgrown stonebrick wall.

That’s the reason why SD changed it and I totally agree with that.[/quote]

The person with the better PC has the same option to remove those textures. I originally had to run with those graphics in the beginning so that I could get the 125FPS constant that the Q3 engine needed (at the time) to do particular jumps. But due to me playing like that for so long I kept the look even as I upgraded PC’s.

I do miss all of those customization options because it guaranteed that almost everyone, regardless of PC, were as close to even as possible when it came to frame rates we all saw. I do understand why companies/devs lock down their settings though. Some settings could provide an unfair advantage to somebody who doesn’t know about them or refuses to use them (like when you could remove trees/foliage in DB). Also, there is dev pride in regards to them making an experience and they want people to play it the way it was designed. And today there is the added issue of how the game is viewed by others due to Twitch, Youtube and other services. If tons of people constantly upload/stream videos of super low resolution gameplay then a lot of people who is searching for a video on that game might see it and immediately write it off as ugly without understanding that the person changed the graphics. This sounds dumb but it’s extremely common.

So I prefer having customization options but I understand why some devs make the choices they do. Personally I’d prefer companies to go with the old school iD Q3 approach in making sure that all variables that can’t be abused are freely open and expose them to players if they choose. It doesn’t take a long time to make a giant list of options and click yes/no/value. Hide it under and Advanced option and create some solid pre-sets. I’m not sure why this isn’t more common other than a ton of devs went so far into console development work that they forget that this could not only be a good thing for their player-base but an advertising bullet point.

(ImSploosh) #15

I prefer playing with higher graphics if possible. Lately, regardless of setup, I get FPS drops/stutters which are really annoying. I could never get into potato configs, it’s like playing on the beginnings of a Unity game, a blank canvas. The graphics of a game tend to give me more of an experience.

However, I’ve played games with pretty shitty graphics and absolutely loved them. It was almost like playing on a potato config. (like when I played Kuma Wars- RIP that game).

(Dawnlazy) #16

Game has an issue with frametime consistency so even when your FPS counter says 150, your screen can still show clear stutter. I have semipotatofied my game and it still feels janky even when it’s at 200FPS. God, that optimization pass update can’t possibly come fast enough.

(doxjq) #17

Game has an issue with frametime consistency so even when your FPS counter says 150, your screen can still show clear stutter. I have semipotatofied my game and it still feels janky even when it’s at 200FPS. God, that optimization pass update can’t possibly come fast enough.[/quote]

Same here.

Getting a stable 200-220fps now with everything on minimal and texturepoolsize 1 but I still get there weird jams/mini freezes and stutters for no apparent reason from time to time.

It just doesn’t look crisp. Overwatch and Paladins etc run at half the frame rate for me but they look smooth as ever. Dirty Bomb even at 200fps looks like I’m running an old 60hz screen again or something.

(X-aited) #18

How long will it take for you to release your HUD-Edit? I am really curious about it :smile:

(Xyfurion) #19

From now, hopefully very soon.

I have finished declaring the images in code. Now I just need to actually add them onto my window, which will take around 1-2 hours. Then I have to do some bug fixing, which god knows how long it will take. Then some tweaking, then I’ll send a prerelease version to 15 testers that I have chosen. After I get answers and bug reports, I will fix those and release the full version.

Best part, you won’t have to keep coming back here to download new versions! You’ll get told when a new version comes out. This is so that you don’t have to keep coming back here when a new game update is pushed out. You can check the software.