My hopes for DB, and therein lies the problem...

(BomBaKlaK) #21

Yep this is absolutely needed ! Private matches won’t change this feeling at all …
Let the community decide how they want to play on the server they rent is a must have. (Friendly fire, map rotation, min levels requirement, number of players, etc …) Give us something to build a community around your game, or let it die like every F2P who won’t let this happen …

(_milla) #22

the biggest problem I seen in loadout cards.

(KeMoN) #23

This is really sad news! The lack of a community is one of the points why I left Warface (F2P by Crytek). I don’t like playing in anonymity, if I wanted to do that I would be playing a singleplayer only game.

(spookify) #24

[QUOTE=BomBaKlaK;538442]Yep this is absolutely needed ! Private matches won’t change this feeling at all …
Let the community decide how they want to play on the server they rent is a must have. (Friendly fire, map rotation, min levels requirement, number of players, etc …) Give us something to build a community around your game, or let it die like every F2P who won’t let this happen …[/QUOTE]

It will be abused and split the community…

Pubs are not boring or emptying because we dont have community servers…

There is zero reason to have a community server. SD has given us or will give us the tools we need in pub servers. They have already given us dedicated servers and we can basically use that as our go to server.

The only thing Community servers will do if put a person in charge of a server with the ability to kick and ban whomever they please. This will create a community server bubble almost like a cult that is not inviting especially if you are better then anyone or have a different view. The Community server owners will mold the server they way they see fit and with the people they want in the server. wow the more I think about it the more cult like it is…

(MoonOnAStick) #25

Confirmed lack of server rentals is sad news indeed, it simply kills the small communities.
You can make a website; rent a voip server; and create an email list but if you can’t hire the local town hall your scout troop is going to suck.

(KeMoN) #26

[QUOTE=spookify;538450]
The only thing Community servers will do if put a person in charge of a server with the ability to kick and ban whomever they please. This will create a community server bubble almost like a cult that is not inviting especially if you are better then anyone or have a different view. The Community server owners will mold the server they way they see fit and with the people they want in the server. wow the more I think about it the more cult like it is…[/QUOTE]

I’d like to disagree on that. The sole purpose of having community servers is that server owners can shape (or mold) the server like they want to. Like-minded players will come together and play the way they see fit. Unwanted players/trolls are always kicked from the server. That is the sole purpose of having that feature! If you don’t fit into the play style, search a different server. There will be one for your style of gaming. This has nothing to do with being a cult.

W:ET used that system from the beginning and it is still active after 12 years! 12 years!! Granted it is declining, but the games that survive such an amount of time can be count on one hand.

I don’t know of any tools in pub servers. Every server is exactly the same and the only difference is the amount of players they hold.

(spookify) #27

[QUOTE=KeMoN;538452]I’d like to disagree on that. The sole purpose of having community servers is that server owners can shape (or mold) the server like they want to. Like-minded players will come together and play the way they see fit. Unwanted players/trolls are always kicked from the server. That is the sole purpose of having that feature! If you don’t fit into the play style, search a different server. There will be one for your style of gaming. This has nothing to do with being a cult.
[/QUOTE]

Kick whomever you see fit sounds awesome. Im better then you so Im kicked… There are only like 2 different play styles right now OBJ and SW with Execution mode coming. There are no modes or really anything other then Objective and Maps to split the pub community. If people start introducing modes then those will probably be off the Dirty Bomb stat grid, credit grid and have their own XP grid. SD seems to be listening to us by creating a Min Level 10 server which is great. Change the name to KeMoN’ No Noobs Min Level 10 East and you have a community server with no abuse admins. This game is not ET and there’s real money (credits) on the line. I can think of tons of different ways to abuse a server and get skins for my community members faster and stack credits faster.

*Actually communities in DB might be twice as bad as ET due to the credits and stats on the line for a win. The admins are going to constantly kick good players and or stack teams to rack in Credits and abuse the system.

[QUOTE=KeMoN;538452]W:ET used that system from the beginning and it is still active after 12 years! 12 years!! Granted it is declining, but the games that survive such an amount of time can be count on one hand.
[/QUOTE]
Yes it did and it also had 3 modes to deal with on top of that. All in all over my 5 years only playing ET I was limited to 3 or 4 total server I could play on. Either do to Mod’s or being banned from these crappy noob communities because they thought I was haxing. Same goes for BF3. I was basically only allowed to play in 3 servers because I was banned from 90%+ percent of USA servers…

I said or will give us the tools we need in pub servers.

(Loki.) #28

[QUOTE=spookify;538450]It will be abused and split the community…

There is zero reason to have a community server. SD has given us or will give us the tools we need in pub servers. They have already given us dedicated servers and we can basically use that as our go to server.

The only thing Community servers will do if put a person in charge of a server with the ability to kick and ban whomever they please. This will create a community server bubble almost like a cult that is not inviting especially if you are better then anyone or have a different view. The Community server owners will mold the server they way they see fit and with the people they want in the server. wow the more I think about it the more cult like it is…[/QUOTE]

wow…

just wow…

So, don’t agree with anything you just said…

RTCW has been doing it since 2001, its a Proven formula… :wink:

(spookify) #29

[QUOTE=Loki.;538457]wow…

just wow…

So, don’t agree with anything you just said…
[/QUOTE]

Why???

(Beermachine) #30

[QUOTE=spookify;538450]It will be abused and split the community…

Please, that’s going to the extreme. If a community server is a cult then clans, steam groups, sports clubs and nearly every group on this planet designed for people who share a similar interest to interact within can be described as a cult and exclusive to people who don’t share those interests…

It’s not a new thing, clan / group run servers have been around for decades. Sure, like anything there are servers with dicks for admins, but also ones with good admins, which are the ones that then usually become popular and always full with like minded players.

Newbie friendly, newbie unfriendly, options to suit different peoples tastes and the kind of game experience they are looking for immediately (the whole point of a favourites tab in any server browser!), without having to go through the hoops of setting up a private match.

(KeMoN) #31

If a server admin keeps kicking everyone who is better than him, this server will not survive and will shut down quite soon. A legit reason for kicking is in my opinion simply trolling.
By play style I don’t mean game type, I mean the style of your playing. I just came from a 8vs8 public server on chapel. I was the only engi (proxy) and we only had one medic (sparks). This is the kind of server I would normally avoid, because I prefer to use teamplay. There would be servers for pros, for noobs, for players with a more settled style of gaming (teamplay + meter per meter), for whatever you like.

(Loki.) #32

Well as others just pointed out…

No clan or private server will survive if its ran by a$$hats, period…

Majority of Clan Ran servers, consist of like minded members/players. Objective, team-based players.

People with similar play styles flock to such servers…

Yes, not every server or player(s) are like this. Some, if not many will or already are using servers to increase their in game currency. So, what… Before it was XP (for leader boards) now its credits… Nothing you can do to stop it, plus it has no impact on you. So, they got a cobalt looking merc, pfff,who cares… doesn’t effect the match…

You find a few servers, with like minded players. you add it to your favorites.
Half of the OP’s ‘I hope …’ have been answered :slight_smile:
And at the same time, communities are formed prolonging the life of said game…

(spookify) #33

This all seems very limiting…

Its like I must play in specific servers…

I have seen some amazing Community Servers in COD:MW2, ET, RTCW and BF3. They gave away T-Shirts and tons of things. I did not like that they basically made you sign up on their stupid web-site to win things or Ban first appeal later.

Those servers might have been one map only or extended time severs. I do not see servers being allowed to deviate from the set path SD has laided out to protect and balance their credit system.

And again "You find a few servers, with like minded players. you add it to your favorites. " sounds like a cult… You are all around the same you must play together because there is no one better then you. You are sun shine and purple rainbows now give me $5 to keep this server running!

You can have clans and communities just not in the traditional sense where they basically owned a server and run it.

I think non community servers would actually be better for this game. People are already doing it in DB pugs and it seems to be working great. People can always congregate in a TS and take over an empty server or create a pug/private match or do a 5 man ranked MM.

All I am saying is even if you get community servers there will probably be very limited things you can do to it in-order to maintain balance. Probably just re-name the server and have the ability to kick. I doubt a community server admit should have the ability to ban.

I see some pro’s to community servers but most are cons.

(montheponies) #34

Community based servers allow an easy way for players to join a game on a server with settings that they prefer, be that a single map or FF On. You also become familiar with the regulars on the server and get the benefit of an admin that should enforce the kind of rules you would like, be that no blatant cheating through to banning for racial slurs. If that isnt your cup of tea, fair enough, you can continue to play random pubs, ranked MM, organised pugs or clan scrims/matches.

Back in the day I played every type;

• Clan matches and scrims (including cups/leagues) on private clan servers.
  • Dedicated public servers (Pappa’s Tram) for relaxing games with folk I ‘knew’ (used Shrub)
  • Jolt3 for public ‘comp’ style play (used OSP)

That meant that no matter what I was looking for I could readily get a game I ‘hoped’ for without the current lottery that DB has imposed.

(alphabeta) #35

Perhaps English is not your first language as you seem to misinterpret “cult” Spookify:

a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

Clans are not cults.

(Kendle) #36

I don’t see any real argument against privately run servers. Yes, they could be admin’ed by dicks, but no admins = any dick can play there, you can’t have it both ways, and I know which I’d prefer.

There would have to be a balance, any server settings that could be construed as manipulating the ranking system would have to be restricted, but at a minimum a privately run public server would need:-

1. A name - so you can identify it
  2. Reserved slots - so the owner can get on when it’s full
  3. Admin rights to kick people - if it’s my server I should be able to say who plays there
  4. Ability to set at least a specific map rotation

I’m sure there are many other things that could be done without breaking the ranking system, but a server needs minimum features to enable it to establish an identity. And no-one is saying (at least not me) that server binaries have to be available to any old game server provider who wants them, all servers could be hosted by Nexon for all I care, but knowing there’s usually a good game to be had at “Kendle’s Krazy Klub” rather than hoping that “EU SW #23” isn’t full of dicks tonight makes it much more likely the game will retain players in the longer term.

(Loki.) #37

again… Wow…

Obviously you have had some Bad experiences on Private servers…

Guessing, based on the ‘tone’ of your response’s, some may be warranted, but am willing to bet, others were self-induced…

Bottom line, game wants to survive longer then a year, it needs Community Ran Servers…

(MoonOnAStick) #38

It’s interesting you bring up dirtycups/dbn because this is the only group who have had the ability to admin servers with (most of) the properties people here are asking for. It certainly seems like their pugs are going well, more power to them. Without being immodest, I would be a drag on any pug team ever but would still like to find a regular server full of objective-minded players (who perhaps enjoy a beverage of a Friday evening.)

Not even TAW?

(spookify) #39

[QUOTE=alphabeta;538471]Perhaps English is not your first language as you seem to misinterpret “cult” Spookify:

a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

Clans are not cults.[/QUOTE]

You cant just copy and paste the parts of a defination you want… WIKI
In the sociological classifications of religious movements in English, a cult is a religious or social group with socially deviant or novel beliefs and practices.

Or Social Group…

(spookify) #40

[QUOTE=Kendle;538472]I don’t see any real argument against privately run servers. Yes, they could be admin’ed by dicks, but no admins = any dick can play there, you can’t have it both ways, and I know which I’d prefer.

There would have to be a balance, any server settings that could be construed as manipulating the ranking system would have to be restricted, but at a minimum a privately run public server would need:-

1. A name - so you can identify it
  2. Reserved slots - so the owner can get on when it’s full
  3. Admin rights to kick people - if it’s my server I should be able to say who plays there
  4. Ability to set at least a specific map rotation

I’m sure there are many other things that could be done without breaking the ranking system, but a server needs minimum features to enable it to establish an identity. And no-one is saying (at least not me) that server binaries have to be available to any old game server provider who wants them, all servers could be hosted by Nexon for all I care, but knowing there’s usually a good game to be had at “Kendle’s Krazy Klub” rather than hoping that “EU SW #23” isn’t full of dicks tonight makes it much more likely the game will retain players in the longer term.[/QUOTE]

If that is all that is done go for it. I dont like them having he ability to kick but I will give them that as long as there nothing fundamentally changing to the game.