My doom 3 "Stargate" WIP

(Elmar Nieser) #1

I just started mapping for doom3 and gave a try at the gateroom of the tv series Stargate-SG1. Needed some time to figure out how to work with renderbump and scripting. Still needs a lot of work though, like the symbols in the gate ring. Not sure if ill do them in bumpmap or geometry. still got 60 fps with my P4 3000 and radeon 9600 at med q 1024x768

movie http://resein.phpwebhosting.com/elmar/misc/anim_01.avi (Xvid)

Model render from max so you can see what is geometry and what is bumpmapped in doom3.

Well, still got a lot of moddeling, scripting and texuring to do but crits and comments are welcome!

(Mr_Tickles) #2

Wow, love those graphics and looks just like the series… can’t wait to get my hands on D3 :slight_smile:

(D3C0Y) #3

very nice :clap:

(Zombie13) #4

hrmmm you could really abuse doom3 and make actaull planets to teleport to as a nice SP pack, looks top notch :slight_smile:

Z

(Zombie13) #5

have you experimented with the particles yet to recreate the effect of the portal opening?

(MrLego) #6

Are the chevrons animated as well?

Can you stop the wheel and reverse it once they lock in place?

This is the best looking gate yet, very nice work!

(Elmar Nieser) #7

I can do that, but i want to wait with scripting till i got the geometry and texturing finished :slight_smile: ill keep you up to date.

(TwentySeven) #8

I was fairly certain there was a gap in the walkway on the show to allow the iris to close.
Looks excellent btw!

(Elmar Nieser) #9

It’s kinda funny actually. In the show when the iris is closed there is a gap. But when te gate is open. (with the event horizon) whithout iris there is that little roster.

(No1_sonuk) #10

There is a gap, but I think they cover it when it’s not required.
When I visited the set last year (Gatecon auctioned studio tours), they had the iris on. When they’re going to have it on for a long time, they have a real, physical iris that they put in the hole, so they don’t need to mess around with CGI just for a static iris in every shot. As this iris is circular, it means that there has to be a gap in the ramp.

This is me :stuck_out_tongue:

(Loffy) #11

Elmar Nieser, nice model!
First: the “Model render from max”, how is it humanly possible to be that good? I cannot comprehend how you make such awesome models!
Second: Look at No1_sonuk’s photo above - the model is incredible accurate when compared to that photo. Impressive!
On a side-note: I’m going thru the doom3 singleplayer levels atm. What a cool game! Hats off to id-software!
// Loffy

(Elmar Nieser) #12

Thanks, i will keep you up to date on my gateroom progress, ill put some info about the map on my website when i have the time. Http://elmar.nieser.net