Mercs Balanced ? Who Beats Who?

(MrMaiketh) #1

I was in a comp match last night and we had a player on our team ask “What’s the counter to a good Rhino?”. I answered “Headshots/Recon” without giving it much thought. Now that I think about it more I went ahead and started looking for the "right " answer. There must be well established counters to each merc right ? So I challenge all you veteran players and know it alls to give me an example of Who Beats Who? or of effective counters to each Merc. I think this would be a great reference and help newer players like myself to know how to beat each merc.

Steam-Ra[G]e

(Your worst knifemare.) #2

Can’t really say anyone beats anyone on DB like tf2 or Overwatch but i’ll try a few.

• Engineers and Aura can be countered by a good Phantom
  • Rifle mercs can easily counter close range mercs like Proxy or Rhino on open spaces.
  • Recons can still spot a cloaked Phantom
  • Explosive mercs are good against groups of people.

Then theres Thunder. Only Thunder can beat him.

(KangaJoo) #3

For your rhino example, he’s usually only used properly when he’s playing at a chokepoint and on a healing station, so usually the best way to deal with him is to blow up/disable the healing station and spam him with explosives to force him into a more open position where his minigun can’t out damage everything in the game. Sniping only works if the rhino is way out of position and has no medic with them.

As other people have mentioned there aren’t super cookie cutter direct counters in the game. Most of the time, good set ups that are hard to deal with involve multiple mercs using their abilities, weapons, and positioning together, and countering them requires a similar level of coordination. The only cheesy cookie cutter tactic I can think of actually is the “healing station + tank” tactic and that’s countered by using aoe abilities effectively.

(AlbinMatt) #4

@Lord_Coctus already gave some giid tups, here’s a few more.

Stoker’s mollies can be countered by explosives, but most efficiently, with Redeye’s smokes.

Fragger’s frags can be mitigated by a good Phoenix or Aura. Nader’s salvo can only be countered by running for your life.

Snipers can be countered by other snipers, but Sparks can doll out similar one hit kill Damage, and has way more utility.

(Eox) #5

There’s no real counter system in DB. It’s not like in Overwatch or Paladins where each characters has its own counters. Countering mostly depends of situation and your personal skills. For exemple, Rhino is countered by staying at range, people on Aura’s station are countered by explosives, and Fragger can be countered by… mostly being more skilled.

(ostmustis) #6

snipers and thunder counter everything else

(_milla) #7

I think rhino is the best merc at close distance he can beat group of people.

(Syd_Barrett) #8

[quote=“Lord_Coctus;c-227086”]Can’t really say anyone beats anyone on DB like tf2 or Overwatch but i’ll try a few.

• Engineers and Aura can be countered by a good Phantom
  • Rifle mercs can easily counter close range mercs like Proxy or Rhino on open spaces.
  • Recons can still spot a cloaked Phantom
  • Explosive mercs are good against groups of people.

Then theres Thunder. Only Thunder can beat him.[/quote]

I totally agree with you.