Merc ranking

(Theatrum) #1

Rank Mercs from most useful/ competitive to worst.

I am by no means good enough at this game to know but to start:

1. Aura
  2. Sawbonez
  3. Turtle
  4. Bushwhacker
  5. Nader
  6. Javalin
  7. Stoker
  8. Phoenix
  9. Sparks
  10. Kira
  11. Fletcher
  12. Arty
  13. Redeye
  14. Skyhammer
  15. Thunder
  16. Proxy
  17. Fragger
  18. Vasili
  19. Aimmee
  20. Guardian
  21. Rhino
  22. Phantom

(Sefuh_FR) #2

It’s nearly impossible to assign every merc in a numbered ranking.
The effectiveness of each merc depends of the composition of the ennemy and allied team, and on the map played.
That’s why i prefer S/A/B/C rankings :
S tier = Best tier
A = Top tier
B = Mid tier
C = Low tier
You can add some little variations within tiers with +/- …
Here is my ranking :

S tier : Aura , Sawbonez , Turtle , Fragger
A+ tier : Nader , Stoker , Javelin , Sky
A tier : Sparks , Kira , Fletcher , Thunder , Redeye , Arty , Phoenix , Guardian
A- tier : Bushwhacker , Rhino , Vassili , Proxy
B tier : Aimee , Phantom

We share the same opinion on the best and lower tier, but what is doing Fragger at the 17th position???

I think 5v5 mode encourage to play solid mercs with a high killing potential ability ( that’s why Fragger and Javelin are so high in my tier-list.
Kira and Arty are too situational mercs, being effective only in open areas, that’s why Nader/Javelin/Stoker/Sky are favored.
Guardian is quite bad as a medic but is amazingly strong when paired with Aura or Turtle.

I’ll give my opinions on this soon when I have more time to post. Might be a tiny bit outdated because I haven’t put in a lot of game time since the balance patch.

(Da_Mummy) #4

Turtle is way too high his shield might be strong once its placed and in combination with a Team that knows how to properly cover but in reality… meh
how dare you place sawbonez at number 2 and Fragger at number 17 shall the wrath of the community be upon you (I am not a big fan of them as well but you know… These Forums right)
Redeye at number 13 and People Keep telling me he is op yeah sure.
But as for the rest sadly you are kinda right with Phoenix at number 8 and Thunder at 15.
In the end though I don´t think that any of the mercs are truly bad but I´m afraid some are better in a lot of Things than others…

(Szakalot) #5

Fragger wasn’t last, I’m almost surprised!

Okay, I guess I’ll give this a go. These threads rarely amount to anything because everyone gets all worked up and nobody can come to a consensus. In no particular order within each tier:

S: Aura, Fragger, Fletcher, Sawbones, Arty

A: Phoenix, Kira, Bushwhacker, Nader, Javelin, Redeye

B: Skyhammer, Turtle, Stoker, Sparks, Vassili, Thunder, Proxy

C: Phantom, Guardian, Aimee, Rhino

This may as well be a pre-patch ranking, though. I don’t have enough experience after the changes to give a definitive answer, although from what I have seen, the patch didn’t shake up too much. Aura could have dropped a tier as well as Arty due to burst changes, arguments could be made that Fragger isn’t top tier and Redeye is too high after Grandeur nerfs and Dreiss tweaks, etc. I think this ranking is fairly accurate. About 2500 hours played.

(Wulie) #7

May I ask why you rank Turtle that high? I thought his shield was to squishy to be of any use. Do I miss something here? :slight_smile:

(LifeupOmega) #8

@Wulie said:
May I ask why you rank Turtle that high? I thought his shield was to squishy to be of any use. Do I miss something here? :slight_smile:

Blocking 600 damage flat out for free defuses or fights is ridiculously potent and yet because it’s so defensive no one realises how broken he really is.

(Theatrum) #9

@Wulie said:

@Da_Mummy said:
Turtle is way too high his shield might be strong once its placed and in combination with a Team that knows how to properly cover but in reality… meh
how dare you place sawbonez at number 2 and Fragger at number 17 shall the wrath of the community be upon you (I am not a big fan of them as well but you know… These Forums right)
Redeye at number 13 and People Keep telling me he is op yeah sure.
But as for the rest sadly you are kinda right with Phoenix at number 8 and Thunder at 15.
In the end though I don´t think that any of the mercs are truly bad but I´m afraid some are better in a lot of Things than others…

It’s based on my own experiences with the game and how I’ve found them to be. Turtle’s shield might go down fairly quickly but people won’t waste their bullets on it if they don’t have to, especially if they’re being shot at. It can be used to lock down an area for a fairly long time because of this, as well as cover objectives but most often it allows your team to get the upper hand in contesting choke points. Choke points are extremely important as I’m sure you know. It’s because of this not just being useful but how often you’ll be able to make use of it. There’s always a good place for a turtle shield. That’s why he’s so high. Though it is easily countered with an Arty or a Stoker.

People seem to to really like Fragger, his ability is good. All mercs are actually pretty good so being lower on the list doesn’t mean he’s bad. But I find his ability is too easily avoided/ opportunities are too easily missed and although you can get some really good results they depend on things like people crowding around a aura station or turtle shield which is too situational. Or having a wall to cook a grenade in safety but not knowing what the enemy is doing. I also don’t like his unique weapon so at that point I find I’d rather just take Stoker or Nader instead. I acknowledge I might jut be bad with fragger and thus haven’t seen him fully realised.