Max_Gamestate_Chars_Exceeded

(APOY) #1

Hey, Im strictly an EtPlayer and am lost when it comes to map design etc… Which is why I come here, hopefully someone will know where to direct me:

Our server (etPub, 64 plyr) has a problem with “Max_Gamestate_Chars_Exceeded”… this happens on certain maps and we are forced to remove them from the campaign…

here’s a list of some of the maps we never are able to host due to the issue above:
Fueldump
Venice
Mlb Egypt
Super Goldrush
MLB Daybreak

which, someone pointed out, all have movable Tanks in them, yet we run other maps with movable tanks (goldrush) with no problem at all…

I wonder if anyone has some resources or information about this hated “Max Gamestate chars” issue…

Thanks, |>B<|APOY

(sodsm live) #2

hey APOY, this is sod from the Evil Smurfs. i can’t remember if this has something to do with too many pk3s loaded by the server or too many mods. until someone has a real answer you could maybe remove any extra crap like maps or mods you’re not using anymore. or maybe take off half a dozen or so player slots. what things have you already tried to fix this?

(APOY) #3

I couldn’t tell you everything they’ve tried… Alls I know is that the number of slots wont be reduced as long as most maps work… I just really miss Daybreak and Venice, but hey, I can play them elsewhere…

Just throwing it out there in case someone has the “magic fix” =P

Thanks sod, see you pubside =)

(@NDY) #4

Do you have ammopack, healthpack and binoc dropping when a player is killed ? you could soon get this error with 64 players with this turned on if there is a large amount left lying around.

(=PoW= Kernel 2.6.5) #5

By any chance are you running the No Quarter mod?

(Elite) #6

Too many entities. The number needs to be reduced any way you like.

(Ragnar_40k) #7

You should either choose maps with less breakable objects (windows, doors etc.), reduce the number of med/ammopacks or weapons dropped (if any) or reduce the number of players (a full 64 player server usually causes lag anyway).

(Jecoliah) #8

As a friend pointed out to me Darji2 starts with 933 entities but it does not have a problem with this error.

You can get the entity count by typing /entitylist in console.

The error mainly comes from ConfigStrings sent to Client.

16000 is the limit.

What i noticed is that all the maps that cause the error have a movable Tank on it. (Apoy was quoting me on that)

Tank scripts cause a lot of ConfigStrings apparently and so this makes these maps more vulnerable to the error.

It would be nice if somebody actually had a Real Fix for this as the maps effected are sorely missed.

Jec

(Diego) #9

Do VO commands contribute to this error?

I’ve been getting this one a lot on my map when we have more than 6 or 7 players lately. We had 18 playing my map yesterday and it ran great up until the newer group of objectives. It usually gets the error when the Tank blows something up or a dynamite obj goes off near the end of the map. I figured it could as easily be the number of particle effects called when something blows up. But It’s kind of wierd that my original objectives don’t “gamestate” the map and they are actually calling many more effects than the last ones that I set up.

I’ve been making great strides to reduce my entity count and I removed 3 constructable objectives from the map to compensate for the 3 destructable ones that I added.

I do have a very detailed voice command setup. So my script can be running several things at once when an objective is blown (setting things invisible, alerting effects entities, and running voice and text announcements.) Would it be helpful to add wait statements in the script to control how many of these events are triggered at one time? Or does this just come down to total entity count?

(ailmanki) #10

afaik the name length of a entitie is also affecting the gamestate char…
not sure, but I did examine csdumps and it had lots of names from entities, so if its possible to shorten them, well it gets unreadable but saves space…
e.g. e1, e2, e3… lol

(SCDS_reyalP) #11

The easiest config strings for server admins to affect involve sets cvars and things like the server motd. The number of .pk3 files, and the length of their names is also a factor.