Making Execution more Interesting, Competitive Worthy Mode Now?

(solace_) #1

Hey Everyone,

(TLDR at bottom)

Edit No.2: I have been thinking about this more and essentially what I am going for is a feature which allows the teams to struggle more over a “balance of power” and whatever you can do to get a competitive edge (in a competitive game) could potentially help you win the match.

Or maybe there should just be the “team augments” I mentioned. A much less complicated system of the winning team getting an additional augment.

Edit: Someone pointed out that these changes would only serve to make an unbalanced game mode even more unbalanced. The emphasis here is on a competitive environment where hopefully the match is balanced. Currently in pubs this would likely not work, but the devs have mentioned the future implementation of matchmaking, meaning this could be a possibility for pubs. just something to keep in mind.

First of all I will just say that I do in fact like execution, however I have seen a lot of people talking about competitive execution lately and how it could use something to make it more interesting.

The idea I had is something that is similar to CSGO. In DB you there isn’t much you can do with buying weapons and eco, etc, so I though maybe it could have something to do with augments.

Example of the System:

The way it would work would be after each kill, you get an upgrade to your augments and when you die, this clears. What I mean by this is that say you kill one person, you would gain one rank on your first augment. Then if you kill one more and then another, you get one rank on your second and third augments. Perhaps at this point your team has won the round and you move into the second round.

Now, you are starting with a fully upgraded set of augments. Perhaps if you get another three kills throughout the course of this match you would then gain the second ranks on each of your augments.

But wait, in the third round, you get one kill beginning the upgrading process (taking you to rank three) but then you die. At this point you could either lose all of your ranks and be forced to start at 0 again, or maybe you just lose three ranks, taking you down a significant notch.

Obviously there is a lot of leeway with this system. Assists or revives might gain you half a rank or being downed might lose you one rank.

For the purpose of this thread I have gone with max three ranks per augment but this could easily be changed to five or more.

What would these ranks look like? (warning!!! arbitrary numbers inbound!!)

Drilled base–20% Faster Reload
Drilled Rank 1–30% faster reload
Drilled Rank 2–40% faster reload
Drilled Rank 3–50% faster reload

Looter Base-- Enemy medics drop small health, enemy fire support drops ammo
Looter Rank 1-- Any (non-medic/FS) enemy can now drop health/ammo
Looter Rank 2–Chance for anything dropped to be one size up
Looter Rank 3-- Anything dropped is now guaranteed to be either large ammo box or large health pack

Potent Packs Base-- 20% Increase to healing power
Potent Packs Rank 1-- 25% Increase
Potent Packs Rank 2-- 30% Increase
Potent Packs Rank 3-- 40% increase

Unshakeable Base- 20% Reduction to explosives damage taken
Unshakeable Rank 1- 25% Reduction
Unshakeable Rank 2-30% Reduction
Unshakeable Rank 3- 40% reduction

I think you get the idea.

Other Ramblings about the system:

This system would heavily emphasise the need for team play and staying alive. No it might be better to throw the round and stay alive than die and lose your upgrade augments because as you can see, when you get to the third rank you could potentially be quite a bit more powerful than a rank one player. If half or quarter ranks are given for things like reviving and giving ammo (probably there would have to be a cap for this to prevent rank farming), perhaps smaller upgrades over more ranks could be better. The point is, the more ranks you gain the more momentum your team will have, but if you die the other team will catch up and the struggle continues.

Another possibility is that if your team wins a round there could be “team augments” that are awarded, but ranks would be lost if you lose a round. Or perhaps winning a round could just contribute one rank to each individuals augments.

What if you get into a game without a card that has all three augments? Oh NO!!! My idea is foiled. JK, pretty simple actually, the game could just award you a random augment. This really isn’t an issue though becuase the chances of somebody playing competitive without augmented cards is low.

For the purposes of competitive there could be 24 rounds instead of 12 to make for a more tug-of-war style game. And yes, I realize people will likely say “this is too similar to CSGO”, “This isn’t Dirty Bomb”, well nothing is original and if you are going to copy something (or at lease base it off of something else) you might as well base it off something which has proven to be extremely successful in a competitive environment and is fun to play.

Edit No.2: Another thing I was thinking about with this twist on execution was that is (in a comp game) things got into a stale mate situation during a round, eventually, (as more players are downed and then revived and ammo given out) you would end up with two greatly augmented teams. I think this would be a really interesting and cool situation to get into because at this point, the urgency to kill the other team, plant the bomb, or save your augments would be really high thus creating a really tense match. I will point out again though that even when augments reach their HIGHEST rank, the advantage gained would be DECENT but obviously not overpowered.

The ranks are meant to highlight the strengths of your character, but also the weaknesses. So pick your augments carefully! Perhaps the devs could add in alternate ability for augments which might be seen as not as useful as many other augments. Like pineapple juggler for instance, ranking it up could increase the effective area of your melee weapon to both hit enemies and things they throw at you. Another rank could allow you to hit certain deployables such as mines, motion sensors, stickies that are placed and this would give you control of the deployable -(–)/- . Who knows right?

!!!Remember!!! Many of the things I outlined here are Arbitrary and subject to change! Nothing is set in stone.

Leave your thoughts and suggestions below, do you like the sound of something like this? Could it be improved?

(solace_) #2

sorry for all the text btw.

(solace_) #3

TL;DR you get rewarded with upgraded augments for getting kills and winning rounds but lose ranks when you die or lose a round.

(Matuno) #4

Call me conservative, but nay.

The game is fairly unbalanced as it is. Having mechanics that skewer the balance in favour of the winning team even more, would be very painful to play for the losing team. You’re essentially creating a snowballing effect.

Worse yet, is that this system would punish you for rushing/leading the assault/playing a squishy merc. Only survivors win, so people are going to hug corners and play heavier classes.

It’s not the kind of game Dirty Bomb should be, at least not in my not-so-humble opinion.

(solace_) #5

[quote=“Matuno;169479”]Call me conservative, but nay.

The game is fairly unbalanced as it is. Having mechanics that skewer the balance in favour of the winning team even more, would be very painful to play for the losing team. You’re essentially creating a snowballing effect.

Worse yet, is that this system would punish you for rushing/leading the assault/playing a squishy merc. Only survivors win, so people are going to hug corners and play heavier classes.

It’s not the kind of game Dirty Bomb should be, at least not in my not-so-humble opinion.[/quote]

Sorry but did you read the title? Competitive mode. Where matches should be balanced to within an uncertainty. It emphasizes teamwork and careful play; and while you are rewarded for getting kills and winning, the rewards would be far from overpowered. Anyways its kind of the point, that there is some kind of “balance of power” and hopefully, in a comp game, the teams would be evenly matched so a snowball effect would not really happen. Its meant to give an advantage, not create an unstoppable force.

Rushing may pay off, but if you get caught as a lone wolf in a cross fire, you shouldn’t get away scot free. Just as in stopwatch mode, if you rush in alone you will most likely get killed and put your team at a disadvantage. This implements a similar mechanic.

I don’t know man, just pointing some things out.

(solace_) #6

[quote=“Matuno;169479”]Call me conservative, but nay.

It’s not the kind of game Dirty Bomb should be, at least not in my not-so-humble opinion.[/quote]

Thanks for pointing this out btw, I put an edit on the main post.

(RedBeard) #7

I dont think people look at the forums.

(solace_) #8

haha yeah. I guess not. Oh well, eventually some people will see it.

(solace_) #9

I have been thinking about this more and essentially what I am going for is a feature which allows the teams to struggle more over a “balance of power” and whatever you can do to get a competitive edge (in a competitive game) could potentially help you win the match.

Or maybe there should just be the “team augments” I mentioned. A much less complicated system of the winning team getting an additional augment.