Linux user guide?

(VolumetricSteve) #1

I’ve googled around…and it seems like everyone was able to sort this out except for me…but how do you run q3map2 from the Terminal in linux?

(Linux Mint 8 / Xfce to be specific, which is a Debian based distro if that helps)

I have the q3map_2.5.16_linux_x86.tar.gz file, which I’ve decompressed and started trying to run in different ways, but I’m greeted by the following error:

./q3map2.x86

./q3map2.x86: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried to install a bunch of development c++ type stuff but no dice. What am I missing? Thanks

****************edit

Extra credit:

who knows where I can download GTKRadiant 1.4 for linux?
…or any Radiant for linux?

(Nail) #2

https://zerowing.idsoftware.com/svn/radiant/GtkRadiant/branches/1.5/COMPILING

(VolumetricSteve) #3

That’s 1.5, I’m looking for 1.4, I know it exists somewhere out there…I just haven’t been able to find it yet…but if it comes down to using 1.5 or just not mapping in linux, I’d rather not map in linux. Or waiting for 1.6…whenever they decide to let us have at that…

(merlin1991) #4

[quote=VolumetricSteve;224841]./q3map2.x86: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried to install a bunch of development c++ type stuff but no dice. What am I missing? Thanks[/quote]

you are missing libstdc++.so.5 :wink:

they removed that one on debian some time ago

but you can create a symlink to the libstdc6

use something like

sudo ln -s /usr/libstdc++.so.6  /usr/libstdc++.so.5

(VolumetricSteve) #5

Merlin, I tried putting that code in, it seemed to execute just fine, but when I tried to run q3map2 again, I got the same error as before?

Maybe there’s a more hands-on approach to fixing this?

Maybe…Running an older version of linux? (not super psyched about that option)

thanks again

(merlin1991) #6

well running an old enough version will fix the problem for sure, but as you said, not the best option :smiley:

technically if you’re running a 32bit debian based linux that command should have fixed it for you

in case you’re running the 64bit version you need to use something slightly different

sudo ln -s /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.6  /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.5

but the thing is, I have no experience with mint at all, that information is right for debian though

maybe you can somehow install the libstdc++5 package

I can’t check that because for some reason the package list on the mint webpage is broken atm :confused: