Limited edition obsidian cash-only is bullshit

(Melinder) #21

@Meerkats said:

@Melinder said:
cough Thunder cough Snipers cough Shotguns cough
As much as I think this is also an important topic, let’s please talk about Splash Damage’s shady ass, high pressure sales bullshit, constantly trying to hustle us with overpriced skins when they could just have a normal store / market with reasonably priced stuff year round.

The inevitable derail of SD related threads.

(Szakalot) #22

‘take advantage of our anxieties’, wait, what??

(GatoCommodore) #23

@Szakalot its like what the japanese did with gunpla where they stamp limited edition and then they just re-release it a year/2 later

the price is also lower since its not a limited edition anymore

also happens to card games

but these two are on different rarity.

the first one is secret rare the second one is ultra rare
do you need the limited edition? no not really.

it preys on people who cant control their faith and wallet

(brian770) #24

supply and demand, if you flood the market with everything then some of the incentive to get it is lost.
most players/customers dont have a problem with the concept.
if you have a playerbase of 2000 and 100 are dissatisfied then its not really viable to change everything just to appease the small minority, as doing so might upset the vast majority. so while to you it may seem super obvious that something may indeed “suck” , without 25-30% of the playerbase behind you nothing is going to happen.
personally i have no problem with dropping $12-20 a month for limited stuff. ya i wish i could buy the cards that came and gone long before i started playing, but thats life, same for the trinkets. Why should they change it and the exclusivity of what i have bought takes a dump, that would p**s me off. you views are your own and shared with a few others, they are important and you have every right to share them here, but not all agree with you or with me. the Devs need to listen to the playerbase, but that means all of the playerbase, not just the minority, and unfortunately the minority is usually the loudest as the majority is usually happy with the way things are and has no reason to be heard. belittling others for their opinions just proves ignorance, we all have a right to be heard weather you have 1 post or 5000 post. its all a numbers game the fine ballence of price per item vs ammount sold, sometimes it needs adjusting but only a timed study can tell you that, if they change things right away every month there really is no baseline to go from, usually needs a good 4-5 months to play out. then gradual changes to tweek things in right direction. maybe next month it will only be $10 a card? as i agree with you on a few points ( 3 for $20 makes no sense…should be 3 for $25 or any 2 for $20) and i would love to see a “second hand store” where players could buy and sell or trade trinkets or cards for credits with a small % going back to the “house”.

(Guziol) #25

All i can see here is somebody getting his panties in a bunch over a non-issue and getting upset when people point it out.

(imLegal) #26

OP I get it you’re in your feelings about SD’s business decisions but it is what it is. Perhaps what’s inconvenient to you is convenient to someone else. Personally, i’m 100% behind their business decision. Sure the prices are a little steep, but for the promise of exclusivity that justifies it for me. You can call it scummy, make a petition and harass Shoe all day on Discord about it, make forum threads whining about it, make yourself seem like a victim of systemic abuse and make a long ass journal about how much of an emotional trauma and psychological wrecking the journey of living through limited time only sales has been - but at the end of the day it is what it is.

Now whether or not SD should release more skins, or general content overall, that isn’t limited only should be an actual discussion to have. But to cry “muh Anxieties” because SD is selling limited edition content, which isn’t anything new since that’s been their business model for a while now, isn’t the right way to start one imo.

(kittz0r) #27

@imLegal said:
OP I get it you’re in your feelings about SD’s business decisions but it is what it is. Perhaps what’s inconvenient to you is convenient to someone else. Personally, i’m 100% behind their business decision. Sure the prices are a little steep, but for the promise of exclusivity that justifies it for me. You can call it scummy, make a petition and harass Shoe all day on Discord about it, make forum threads whining about it, make yourself seem like a victim of systemic abuse and make a long ass journal about how much of an emotional trauma and psychological wrecking the journey of living through limited time only sales has been - but at the end of the day it is what it is.

Now whether or not SD should release more skins, or general content overall, that isn’t limited only should be an actual discussion to have. But to cry “muh Anxieties” because SD is selling limited edition content, which isn’t anything new since that’s been their business model for a while now, isn’t the right way to start one imo.

exclusive like the Containment Wars Skins? please…

(imLegal) #28

@kittz0r said:
exclusive like the Containment Wars Skins? please…

Lmao to be fair, the skins were different and the event made sense considering CW skins was for the beginning of Execution and FA skins for the ending of it.

In this case we’re talking about exclusive limited Obsidian skins obtainable only through money (as it should be), not limited event skins (which are still exclusive limited skins obtainable by other means than just purchasing them directly, as it should be).

(Meerkats) #29

@imLegal said:
Sure the prices are a little steep, but for the promise of exclusivity that justifies it for me.
See, this is an interesting argument, and peeps have mentioned it before. That because it is exclusive, it has extra value. But here’s the thing… the skins have zero value because there’s no trading. It’s like Overwatch cosmetics. Nobody ever talks about how valuable Overwatch cosmetics are because they’re locked to your account so it’s a moot point. Unless you trade or sell your entire account, you couldn’t even get a McDonald’s happy meal out of your collection. These are non-liquid assets.

Therefore Dirty Bomb loadouts, no matter how shiny, until implementation of trading, are worth less than single ply toilet paper.

Using this notion of preserving value by maintaining exclusivity to justify scummy activity just shows how much you’ve drank the Kool-Aid. They can still have limited edition skins. Event skins as limited editions? Fine. What I am saying is that all these obsidians Splash Damage is shitting out like a bad case of Taco Bell? The LE Javelin where the only difference is the hair colour? This LE Phoenix where the only difference is a helmet and a baby carrier in front? Just make a store, and sell them there instead of trying to hustle players.

@GatoCommodore said:
@Szakalot its like what the japanese did with gunpla where they stamp limited edition and then they just re-release it a year/2 later

the price is also lower since its not a limited edition anymore
Somebody who gets it. Amazing. Accepting all this limited edition stuff is just opening yourself up to further abuse like this.

This is the same as gaming pre-order culture. The publishers secure extra pre-order sales by dropping “crazy” limited editions, then when the game hits shelves, maybe 80% of the peeps who bought in end up regretting their decisions but they drank the Kool-Aid and gg no re. This is why the boycott pre-orders movement exists ( Horizon: Zero Dawn pre-order though? The $120 one? Totes worth it. Wish I got the NIER: Automata one too ).

And this is even worse. Again, we’re buying skins. The loadout is moot cause we can get those for credits. Once we’ve bought the skin, why do we have to buy it a second time? It’s like clothes. If your hypothetical sister wants to borrow your hypothetical skirt, and you agree to let her borrow said hypothetical skirt, does she have to pay? No. Except in this case, she somehow does in a way that makes even less sense. Actual clothes requires actual materials. There are cases when you will have to buy new clothes. Skins are piles of pixels on a computer. They can replicated at will for no cost.

From what I’ve heard, TotalBiscuit is doing a video about Dirty Bomb soon, and I’m hoping he reams the devs on this cause I know he likes this shit as little as I do. Probably gonna be a bit damaging to Dirty Bomb, but, eh, it’s probably worth it.

(Guziol) #30

TotalCasket has not been relevant for a while, other than his hate on trap memes.
It’s goddamn cosmetics. Nobody forces you to buy anything. Again.

(binderr) #31

yes yes, a separate store for limited/obsidian skin should be implemented, I approve! B)

(watsyurdeal) #32

What blows my mind, is that it’s only 20 bucks. How broke are you that you can’t throw 20 bucks down if you’re willing to get this passionate and upset about it.

I can understand if it’s gameplay affecting content, but it’s SKIIIIINS. For pete’s sake grow up and understand that if they just gave it away constantly it would lose it’s value, that and there’s a strong chance that they could always suprise us with a once a year buy it while you can, and bring back old cards.

(neverplayseriou) #33

Idk how people can even argue that these skins hold any value, SD throws out ‘exclusive’ cough CW cards cough skins every fucking month nowadays, the feeling of them being special dissapeared ages ago.

And only 20 bucks (13 for 1 card)? that’s 1/3rd of a new AAA title, I’ve never played a game before in which a cosmetic that changed so little about a character’s appearance has such an insanely high pricetag.

Least SD could do is make it a card of choice and make several different helmets/body parts/shoes/gloves etc. and let people create their own character’s appearance from that for such a ridiculous price, atleast that way the cards would be somewhat special.

(Szakalot) #34

thank goodness the appearance doesn’t change much. At least the obsidian version is still easily identifiable as a specific class.

(Meerkats) #35

@watsyurdeal said:
What blows my mind, is that it’s only 20 bucks. How broke are you that you can’t throw 20 bucks down if you’re willing to get this passionate and upset about it.

I can understand if it’s gameplay affecting content, but it’s SKIIIIINS. For pete’s sake grow up and understand that if they just gave it away constantly it would lose it’s value, that and there’s a strong chance that they could always suprise us with a once a year buy it while you can, and bring back old cards.
@neverplayseriou pretty much shut you down, but:

This is after the last Steam sale AND the Turtle AND Javelin packs.

And again, why are we paying an additional $13 for a second skin when the second skin is a duplicate?

If you think non-liquid assets like Dirty Bomb skins have any value at all, congrats, you just drank the Kool-aid.

(watsyurdeal) #36

They have whatever value you attach to them, I just bought cause it reminds me of Doomguy.

But my point is you don’t have to buy them, and you’re arguing how you disagree with SD’s business decisions. They’re basically only there to generate income for the upcoming updates. That’s basically it.

(brian770) #37

the thing is its ok to drink the kool-aid…cant really jump on the guy for voicing his opinion, its just as valid as yours is.

what cracks me up is players that hate on a game so much but then continue to play it. I spent 3 years defending warface to belligerent players in the forum with their non-stop complaining only to see them playing it all the time, when the game became so bad for me , rather than waste time complaining about it i just 100% quit playing it. vote with your wallet.
in that 3 years i spent just under $3000.00 USD, and had a ton of fun doing it. plan on doing the same thing here. If it ever gets that bad here i will just go find another game to play. cause if the game is that bad then why continue playing it???

(Meerkats) #38

@watsyurdeal said:
They have whatever value you attach to them, I just bought cause it reminds me of Doomguy.

But my point is you don’t have to buy them, and you’re arguing how you disagree with SD’s business decisions. They’re basically only there to generate income for the upcoming updates. That’s basically it.
…so… make believe value…

Right. If you’re going to talk about money, at least sound like you know what you’re talking about. But tell me again about how I’m too poor to afford some skins.

After PSN hacks and weird ass glitch during Steam Christmas Sale where people were logging into other people’s accounts, I stopped storing credit card information with online retailers as much as possible. I’m sure I could find triple that amount if I dug around and looked in a different drawer.

You know how Splash Damage can make money?

(GatoCommodore) #39

@Meerkats
keep in mind that this game is free to play while overwatch is pay to play.

if people decide that virtual skins is worth money to them, then its up to them to use their faith, brain and wallet.

yes, i know gaming community needs to be vigilant but this specific problem youre talking about is like smoking. Smoking can accelerate cancer cells and smokes has carcinogen

yes, its bad. People know it. Its like throwing money at monitor, if you are look at it from logical perspective it doesnt make any sense.

but these people who wanted to buy these skins are in some way trying to relieve their stress in real world by these “skins”. Games like DB in nature, are made to master bait your Ego

these are feelings we are talking about, sometimes you cant rationalize feelings. The feeling buying something to be paraded about has been around since forever. Even in modern military in this time of big countries on peace, they still made/buy new tanks and new technology for their national prestige.

i would jump on the inquisition wagon the minute SD going to apply something scummy
but until then people like you and me are to stand and watch.

(Guziol) #40

You also seem to be forgetting you are playing a f2p title.