lightmap export/import

(ailmanki) #1

I am trying to import the lightmaps into the bsp,

here the steps I do:

first convert the map to quake3 format (works fine, well dunno if it works with q3, but the vrml converter can use it.)
q3map2.x86 -game et -convert -format quake3 maps/goldrush

then import the lightmaps

[***@*** baseq3]$ ./q3map2.x86 -import -v maps/goldrush_c 
threads: 4
Q3Map         - v1.0r (c) 1999 Id Software Inc.
Q3Map (ydnar) - v2.5.17
GtkRadiant    - v1.5.0 Jun 10 2008 18:37:32
Last one turns the lights off
--- InitPaths ---
Searching for "quake" in "./q3map2.x86" (0)...
Searching for "quake" in "-import" (1)...
Searching for "quake" in "maps/goldrush_c" (2)...
VFS Init: /usr/local/games//.q3a/baseq3/
VFS Init: /*/etmaps/class//baseq3/

Loading /*/etmaps/class/baseq3/maps/goldrush_c.bsp
--- ImportLightmaps ---
writing /*/etmaps/class/baseq3/maps/goldrush_c.bsp
Wrote 14.1 MB (14757996 bytes)
        0 seconds elapsed
[***@*** baseq3]$ 

this does not work in any case, interesting is, that if I delete the folder containing the lightmap data, the folder gets created, but its empty.
Also it doesn’t matter if I try it directly on the et version (without converting firstly).

I tried to understand the source code (https://zerowing.idsoftware.com/svn/radiant/GtkRadiant/trunk/tools/quake3/q3map2/lightmaps_ydnar.c) but that did not really help.
From source I would expect more errors, but the above output is all I get…

I searched the forum for “export import”, I also searched with google… but there is none with the problems I got…

It would be beautiful if somebody could tell me how to import the lightmap, cause I suppose then q3bsp would work correctly, and be able to make a almost perfect preview… (http://home.snafu.de/hg/vrml/q3bsp/q3bsp.html)

(kamikazee) #2

Hmmm, never used import but I googled for it.

The explanation of -import on Wikibooks warns that the lightmaps can only be imported in the BSP they were created for. This means that you should probably run the -import phase first and then convert to Q3 format.

Also, why are you talking about the lightmap folder? I thought the whole point of -import was that the files in the lightmap folder are written into the BSP so you don’t need them anymore.

(ailmanki) #3

I tried to import without converting to quake3 bsp type, but that gives the same result.

I mention the creation of the folder, cause I had first the feeling its looking in the wrong path… but since it gets auto created in the correct place (when using -import), I think the paths are correct.

I think it doesn’t matter if the lightmaps are from another bsp, just the lightmap would be very incorrect.

(Huoliuhi) #4

I’m going to bump the tread up.

(yuanfenya) #5

A Smart Housewife. A smart housewife was told that there was a kind of stove which would only consume half of the coal she was burning. She was very excited, and said: "That’ll be terrific! Since one stove can save half of the coal, if I buy two, no coal will be needed!"Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it. (Hellen Keller, American writer)More Games,joke,Lineage 2 adena and famous. Click http://www.ygscn.net You will get more.