Lighting trouble - getting skewed and uneven lighting.

(Black Dog) #1

This has me stumped. I have a normal light with X,Y and Z radii of 96 placed near a wall, which I expect would give simple, even lighting. What I get is this strange skewing:

If I try a light with a displaced center further from the wall I still get the skewing, although it’s not as noticeable (excuse the horrible contrast):

I’ve compared the lighting in d3dm4.map to see how I should be doing things, and I’m damned if I can see why that light doesn’t produce symmetrical lighting. Any ideas?

(ordo) #2

I know, i know, i have the same problem. Like – wtf?

(Black Dog) #3

If you find the solution somewhere else, please post it here or PM me. I’ll do the same.

(ordo) #4

roger that

(rgoer) #5

Have you moved the center out?

Is your light volume overlapping any walls it is supposed to illuminate? If faces of a light volume are coincident with brush faces you want it to light up, you’ll get wonky unpredictable lighting. They can even z-fight. You want to give your lights a healthy overlap (the amount depends on how bright you want your walls/whatever to be) to avoid problems.

Is your light textured with a funky light shader? One that has some goofy rotation or something? Hit F6 to turn on animation, see if your light moves around.

Does this happen if you hit escape to deselect everything, then right click and create a blank “light” entity? The default light entity, created with nothing selected, should be totally plain-jane and have an equilateral radius of 300 units. Replace your problem light with one of these, and see what’s going on.

(rgoer) #6

Can you take a screenshot of the editor, with that light selected?

(Black Dog) #7

Screenie coming right up.

The light in that first screen is just a vanilla light, produced by right click-> light. All I did was change the radii to 96 - no texture, no animation, nothing. I didn’t specify a center, and the light volume extends well beyond the walls.

(Black Dog) #8

Typical. I go to load up the map again and now everything is perfect.

I also checked out a few other test maps I made which were suffering from the same problem, and one which had some wierd patch fugliness going on. They all look fine now.

head explodes