Keybinds resetting

(Ghosthree3) #1

Thought I’d give this game a go again, but it seems like at some point since I last played they added a bug which resets your keybindings every time the game starts or the map ends. I tried three times to set the binds to be what I actually need them to be, I also deleted my entire settings folder in case of corrupted or read only configs. Unfortunately, no matter what I did, the binds would be back to what they were when I tried reopening the game.

I simply cannot play with the default binds (eg. Control for crouch) so I guess I just can’t play. If anyone knows how to fix the problem please help me out.

(edxot) #2

Not sure if it’s a bug or some kind of on-line trolling. I used to have that problem in ETQW a long time ago.

I fixed it this way:
Renamed my “autoexec.cfg” to “aaa.cfg” so I could execute it faster during game.
To me, it didn’t happen in start/end of maps, it was more like in critical situations (right after a plant on salvage, for instance).
With practice it would take me less than 2 seconds to get everything working (opening console and typing “exec aaa”).

NOTE 1:
After I started doing this, it stopped happening. This is why I believe it was trolling and not a bug.

NOTE 2:
When this stopped happening, a new kind of trolling started. It looks like a computer crash, nothing works (CTRL+ALT+END, ALT+ENTER, etc …)
To bypass this one, you have to press the windows key on the keyboard, keep this note for future reference.

NOTE 3:
I usually do version control of my cfgs. So after aaa, I got bbb, ccc, and so on.
At some point I had to decide if I was going to use kkk.
It felt stupid to skip that letter, nobody counts from 665 to 667 right ?
Well, cutting long story short, I would not be surprised if some of my red starts were because of that decision.

NOTE 4:
Recently, a series of events, driven some of the almost non existing etqw players to stop playing. Servers used to be almost empty, but now, it has gotten much worse.
Many of the trolls there had to switch to other games, I guess. So, expect more stuff like this in the future.
Don’t bother trying to catch them, in ETQW we had a very small player number, and it was very easy to spot who was getting advantage in this way. But still, more than 5 years have passed and nobody got accused/banned/exposed, etc …
In fact, the events I mentioned included me exposing some of the retards.
Guess I was too pissed because I was quitting smoking, and decided that just switching to the trolls team (like I used to do previously) was not enough any more.

(Nail) #3

post is about Dirty Bomb not ETQW, different engine

you don’t play DB so stay away from the forum

(edxot) #4

[QUOTE=Nail;574064]post is about Dirty Bomb not ETQW, different engine

you don’t play DB so stay away from the forum[/QUOTE]

and “bug” is equal !
so, its a troll ?
is that what you are saying ?

(Nail) #5

afaik, binds have to be set in game, tutorial should work. Mine seem to hold

(edxot) #6

[QUOTE=Ghosthree3;574052]Thought I’d give this game a go again, but it seems like at some point since I last played they added a bug which resets your keybindings every time the game starts or the map ends. I tried three times to set the binds to be what I actually need them to be, I also deleted my entire settings folder in case of corrupted or read only configs. Unfortunately, no matter what I did, the binds would be back to what they were when I tried reopening the game.

I simply cannot play with the default binds (eg. Control for crouch) so I guess I just can’t play. If anyone knows how to fix the problem please help me out.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if it’s a bug or some kind of on-line trolling. I used to have that problem in ETQW a long time ago.

I fixed it this way:
Renamed my “autoexec.cfg” to “aaa.cfg” so I could execute it faster during game.
To me, it didn’t happen in start/end of maps, it was more like in critical situations (right after a plant on salvage, for instance).
With practice it would take me less than 2 seconds to get everything working (opening console and typing “exec aaa”).

NOTE 1:
After I started doing this, it stopped happening. This is why I believe it was trolling and not a bug.

NOTE 2:
When this stopped happening, a new kind of trolling started. It looks like a computer crash, nothing works (CTRL+ALT+END, ALT+ENTER, etc …)
To bypass this one, you have to press the windows key on the keyboard, keep this note for future reference.

NOTE 3:
I usually do version control of my cfgs. So after aaa, I got bbb, ccc, and so on.
Well, cutting long story short, I would not be surprised if some of my red starts were because of that decision.

NOTE 4:
Recently, a series of events, driven some of the almost non existing etqw players to stop playing. Servers used to be almost empty, but now, it has gotten much worse.
Many of the trolls there had to switch to other games, I guess. So, expect more stuff like this in the future.
Don’t bother trying to catch them, in ETQW we had a very small player number, and it was very easy to spot who was getting advantage in this way. But still, more than 5 years have passed and nobody got accused/banned/exposed, etc …
Guess I was too pissed because I was quitting smoking, and decided that just switching to the trolls team (like I used to do previously) was not enough any more.

(edxot) #7

I fixed it this way:

NOTE 1:

NOTE 2:

NOTE 3:

NOTE 4: