Is this game seriously region locked?

(zivs) #21

[QUOTE=Sheza;500566]1. Nexon doesn’t divide players because they live in the ‘wrong territory of Europe’. Nexon doesn’t proclaim the division, the Russian publisher does. They negotiate the contract with Splash Damage. They’ve decided in this case to run the game not only in Russia but also Lithuania, Ukraine and so on. That’s how licencing works, it’s business 101.[/QUOTE] I’m quite sure that this is how business runs only for Nexon related products - I’m afraid I haven’t seen so imbacile model for any other company/publisher (if only dividing release dates and versions in different continents or different game alterations to obey local laws (like removing visual effects as swasticas, gore and so on)). Even Wargaming, which have RU/EU/US and what not else game clients (and servers for that), doesn’t really block me from downloading and playing in desired region as Nexon does with Dirty Bomb. Where’s the logic?

[QUOTE=Sheza;500566]2. Can you provide a source for the claim that Dirty Bomb won’t have region locks? [/QUOTE] I believe that was discussed somewhere here on forums and I’m quite sure it wasn’t mentioned by some random person, randomly posting stuff. Ahh, here it is: http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/37723-Dear-Nexon-Am-I-allowed-to-play-this-game?p=470035&viewfull=1#post470035 (posted on 13th Sep 2013. Just to point out that nothing is being done of what’s promised). Next thing they will tell us that there will never be Pay-2-Win elements, just “as may have been the case with Nexon’s past titles”?

[QUOTE=Sheza;500566]3. Steam is much bigger than Nexon or Splash Damage. In addition, Steam doesn’t publish other people’s Free 2 Play games for them, they stick to their own. Therefore it’s not possible to expect Steam to publish Splash Damage, nor expect Nexon to provide the same level of international support as Valve.[/QUOTE] I see plenty of F2P games there which aren’t any way related to Valve and still they run perfectly fine and earn money just about as perfectly fine (I don’t see how Stronghold Kingdoms, Warframe, or even out of top100 popular Steam games - Blacklight: Retribution or any other non-Valve game could possibly complain about … well, anything at all). But then, oh, wait … maybe Splash Damage got this super great deal just because Nexon offers their game servers for them, which happen to be region blocked no matter what and no matter why?

[QUOTE=Sheza;500566]I feel as though I didn’t explain myself correctly earlier. Nexon were the first partners for Dirty Bomb, securing the largest licence. But the decision to make it a licensable Free 2 Play game was likely a Splash Damage one. Sure, it might have been influenced by Nexon, but in the end Splash Damage decided they couldn’t really publish the game on Warchest themselves, and that they needed help. Dividing the contracts across areas is a business strategy.[/QUOTE] And yet, Steam most probably offers all what Nexon does, besides small extras as server support (which i find the only reason why should anyone parter up with Nexon, which leads to a depressing thought that there won’t be any dedicated servers, no custom content, no nothing) and … drumroll… region blocking.

(Runeforce) #22

Region blocking sucks! But publishers want it! Moar monai 'dat way! (surprise)

**** ethics, developers (coersed by their publishers) need beds :mad:

(Sheza) #23

[QUOTE=zivs;500615]I’m quite sure that this is how business runs only for Nexon related products - I’m afraid I haven’t seen so imbacile model for any other company/publisher (if only dividing release dates and versions in different continents or different game alterations to obey local laws (like removing visual effects as swasticas, gore and so on)). Even Wargaming, which have RU/EU/US and what not else game clients (and servers for that), doesn’t really block me from downloading and playing in desired region as Nexon does with Dirty Bomb. Where’s the logic?

I believe that was discussed somewhere here on forums and I’m quite sure it wasn’t mentioned by some random person, randomly posting stuff. Ahh, here it is: http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/37723-Dear-Nexon-Am-I-allowed-to-play-this-game?p=470035&viewfull=1#post470035 (posted on 13th Sep 2013. Just to point out that nothing is being done of what’s promised). Next thing they will tell us that there will never be Pay-2-Win elements, just “as may have been the case with Nexon’s past titles”?

I see plenty of F2P games there which aren’t any way related to Valve and still they run perfectly fine and earn money just about as perfectly fine (I don’t see how Stronghold Kingdoms, Warframe, or even out of top100 popular Steam games - Blacklight: Retribution or any other non-Valve game could possibly complain about … well, anything at all). But then, oh, wait … maybe Splash Damage got this super great deal just because Nexon offers their game servers for them, which happen to be region blocked no matter what and no matter why?

And yet, Steam most probably offers all what Nexon does, besides small extras as server support (which i find the only reason why should anyone parter up with Nexon, which leads to a depressing thought that there won’t be any dedicated servers, no custom content, no nothing) and … drumroll… region blocking.[/QUOTE]

1. Again, Wargaming develop AND publish their game. Just like League of Legends. This is NOT the same. Splash Damage were going to publish Dirty Bomb on their own platform, Warchest, but they chose not to. Why? I don’t know, but it is NOT uncommon. Some publishers choose to publish their own games but many don’t. Operation 7, Crossfire, Luvinia, War Rock. These are examples of games that follow the typical licencing model of having different versions tailored to different countries.

2. Well that’s fair enough. What badman said is not true in that post.

3. We don’t know the particulars of the deal, but the servers for Dirty Bomb are dedicated, unlike those in the titles that you mentioned. They need significant investment from the publisher. and in this case Nexon decided it didn’t want to provide support for other regions, and would instead let other publishers purchase the rights from Splash Damage, it seems logical to me.

4. You’re utterly wrong in this part. Steam is a mere advertising platform for Free 2 Play games. They don’t offer customer support, they don’t host servers themselves, they don’t offer community events. ALL of that still has to be handled by the developer / publisher of the game. All Steam does is allow the game clients to be downloaded via Steam, and they take a cut of the micro-transactions that users make through Steam.

Private servers are still possible in the form of rented servers (from within the client / via Nexon) or restricted servers (Offered by Multiplay etc but with restrictions to ensure premium content is not blocked), given that there’s a server browser. People won’t be able to create their own skins or other custom content outside of what the game offers (i.e. they can’t modify files) but for a free to play game this is absolutely fine and absolutely the norm. There’s still a chance people will make custom maps and things that will be incorporated into the game by Splash Damage in game updates. But you’ve got to understand, this isn’t open source ET. This is a money making micro-transaction game.

You’re just denying them the ability to make money, which is what a business does. Do I believe Nexon will keep their promise of not offering OP weapons for cash? No. But it will not only be Nexon’s decision to do this.

(badman) #24

Actually, that post is still accurate. There is no region-locking within the various territories operated by Nexon, which is precisely what the thread linked above asked about.

You’ve been doing a fine job laying out the business situation we’re finding ourselves in otherwise. :slight_smile: Region-locking is a byproduct of us licensing the game to different operators around the world, which is why we’re able to develop Dirty Bomb on our own terms (including being able to spend a long time in Closed Alpha/Beta to get it right).

(Sheza) #25

[QUOTE=badman;500970]Actually, that post is still accurate. There is no region-locking within the various territories operated by Nexon, which is precisely what the thread linked above asked about.

You’ve been doing a fine job laying out the business situation we’re finding ourselves in otherwise. :slight_smile: Region-locking is a byproduct of us licensing the game to different operators around the world, which is why we’re able to develop Dirty Bomb on our own terms (including being able to spend a long time in Closed Alpha/Beta to get it right).[/QUOTE]

Fair point, it’s been a long day :wink:

(zivs) #26

[QUOTE=badman;500970]Actually, that post is still accurate. There is no region-locking within the various territories operated by Nexon, which is precisely what the thread linked above asked about.[/QUOTE] That sounds almost like “There are no invisible walls between towns in your country!”, doesn’t it?

So, in the end there will be invisible walls and your post back in 2003. was deceptive.

(DB Genome editor) #27

Yes, overall between the regions covered by different publishers, but not within the regions supported by Nexon, which was the original question badman was answering.

Only if you read it out of context and make a generalization out of it. Pretty much any statement can become deceptive when that happens…

(badman) #28

[QUOTE=zivs;501027]That sounds almost like “There are no invisible walls between towns in your country!”, doesn’t it?

So, in the end there will be invisible walls and your post back in 2003. was deceptive.[/QUOTE]
In the past, Nexon games have had invisible walls between Europe and North America. Dirty Bomb doesn’t, hence the post.

(zivs) #29

[QUOTE=badman;501201]In the past, Nexon games have had invisible walls between Europe and North America. Dirty Bomb doesn’t, hence the post.[/QUOTE]And this is why, living in Europe, I can’t connect (or download, or launch the EU game client) to European servers. Well Played with no invisible walls, Nexon Damage!

Is this nonsense going to be also after Closed Beta stage?

(Nail) #30

geez, you ex russians are testy

(Kl3ppy) #31

It’s not about being ex russian (Latvia is almost 100 years independent from Russia). Latvia is part of Europe and therefor service should be provided by Nexon and not destiny.

(Mustang) #32

(Dragonji) #33

Ex-Russians LOL :smiley:

Half of the Europe can be called ex-Russians…

(Bangtastic) #34

It is not about historical or geographical borders (cause from that point of view russia is also part of europe :P)
From a language point of view it makes sense that latvia country or ukraine is going to play with the russian client.

Its about DRM, and licensing issues in countries which are not mentioned in the nexon regions. In the past nexon had more countries in one region, but they had to change it some years ago. Maybe in latvia local or russian publishers have special rights towards other foreign companies… idk…

Service Regions:
Albania, Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Ireland, Israel, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Norway, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland, Serbia, Slovenia, Sweden, Turkey, USA, UK, Vatican City.

Still I find it quite peculiar to find some countries mentioned above.

Usually Companies who used Region Lock, got some poor excuses that it would be due to technical issues (high ping) or cultural difference… in contrast which is here obviously the case when you got australia n co, NA, Mexico, western european states and israel in one region lol.

only reason that NA and Europe is interconnected because european players can show NA how to play :P.

For me its sure that im going to play the destiny version as well, even if it means proxy :frowning:

(Nail) #35

Latvia gained independence form Russia in 1991, a little less than 100 years

(zivs) #36

[QUOTE=Tast1c;501313]From a language point of view it makes sense that latvia country or ukraine is going to play with the russian client.[/QUOTE]We have nothing in common with Russian language (or Cyrillic alphabet in general). http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/b0/06/62/b0066254c3eb824d1375548a1ec054a4.jpg and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latvian_language#Classification (a bit off-topic, but anyway).

[QUOTE=Nail;501405]Latvia gained independence form Russia in 1991, a little less than 100 years[/QUOTE]And we’re more than 10 years now in European Union. And this is what we get from Nexon Damage - “no invisible walls”.

And the question remains - will Splash Damage do something about this ridiculous EU dividing or will just leave it as it is (not allowing to join RU servers from EU/NA servers, not allowing some EU countries to play on EU servers, etc)?

(Runeforce) #37

[QUOTE=zivs;501422]
And the question remains - will Splash Damage do something about this ridiculous EU dividing or will just leave it as it is (not allowing to join RU servers from EU/NA servers, not allowing some EU countries to play on EU servers, etc)?[/QUOTE]

I think they would if they could. I have the feeling that they see it the same way as you. But the publishers have the power over this kind of matter.

As Tastic hinted, VPN is a solution.

(zivs) #38

[QUOTE=Runeforce;501430]As Tastic hinted, VPN is a solution.[/QUOTE]This is what I do to just bypass launcher - for now the servers work fine without proxy (which now will change I guess, since immigrants like … Europeans in Europe, join illegal Europe servers where specific Europeans cannot join (which happens to be no discrimination, just Nexon politics)).

At this point I just really want to see how they’ve imagined this game go competitive … Free proxy servers for everyone? :smiley:

(Decaptor) #39

We can thank this nonsense to the great decision to make this F2P.

No dedicated servers for a fps? That’s a fucking bad idea. I still play Enemy Territory to this day because of the community. There would be no community if this was the case back in the day.

I’d rather pay 60 bucks to play this if there were dedicated servers and I could play wherever the hell I want. Now I’m stuck on a ****ty provider thanks to a you-can-say-it’s-not-but-kinda-looks-like-it DRM policy.

Welp, back to ET.

(Nail) #40

as we’ve been playing on dedicated servers for almost 2 years, your statements puzzle me