Is Rhino competitive?

(GatoCommodore) #1

Compared to other mercs in general used by “Decent Players” and not "People with no awareness"
is Rhino Competitive? How should i play rhino to make it more competitive or “Better?”

(x3onn) #2

Yes, in smaller or medium size maps. Position well and try to get in your opponent’s face. Avoid long range engagements. If possible, have a medic close by. Jump around corners while preparing your minigun in the air, but remember that you have a shotgun as well. You’re more mobile with a shotgun and it’s equal or even better option than the minigun in most situations.

Rhino is 10% aim and 90% positioning.

(GatoCommodore) #3

i hate it when perfect positioning is not viable enough when enemies have great medics
i wish the the minigun has headshot multiplier

(Xenithos) #4

Rhino is actually a very effective attacker and defender at certain choke points and different levels on the maps. If you can get a rhino in the garage with a heal station on chapel, or at different areas of each of the maps, he’s a powerhouse. No other merc has quite the same level of spawn wave camping that Rhino actually has if he simply has a medic and GREAT positioning.

Absolute best merc for being rewarded almost strictly for positioning. It’s kind of like having three bushwhacker turrets set up in the perfect unsuspecting spot.

Learn to tap-fire. Play him as a super-powerful scout and suppressor (spam it tappy wise at enemies as you back away into better positioning when you already have the minigun out). Abuse the crap out of the EV and corners, and use aerial jumping down and jumping around corners while charging the minigun up to your advantage.

If you’d like some gameplay examples I could probably provide a fair few. Overall, if your team is co-ordinated Rhino currently is not in a bad state.

(Ptiloui) #5

Unpopular opinion incoming :
Add proper Aimpuch to the game and you’ll see great positioning more rewarding :wink:

([ *O.C.B.* ] Wildcard) #6

@GatoCommodore Yeah the only other thing you can do to be more competitively viable with him is to get really good at using revolvers and getting Headshots with them consistently. I can usually get 2-3 kills off the S&W before having to reload it if I’m forced into a medium-range engagement when I’m not having an off-day. His Minigun gameplay is indeed mostly a matter of positioning, however you’d do well to master the rest of his arsenal if you plan to make any real use of him outside the typical pub match.

In short, yes he is technically competitively viable but he suffers the same issues as Proxy; you have to already outplay the enemy, in more than a few ways, to the point where you’d be superior using any other alternative pick. He does have a slightly easier time of it though compared to her with a proper medic and usage of his guns, to compensate for his range limitations with the Minigun, due to his larger Health Pool; he is still in a bit of an odd position viability-wise though.

P.S. This was not meant to be condescending or insulting by the by, I merely am trying to point out that he’s definitely in a situation somewhat similar to Proxy when outside his preferred engagement range; you’ll need to be extremely accurate and efficient with your sidearm and primary, not just the Minigun, to get much done against a team that communicates and focus-fires you.

(LifeupOmega) #7

Does he need to be? He’s already bad for the game by his very design, and SD’s mistake was trying to make him as picked as Fragger in the first place instead of filling out a niche. Not like it’s hard to jump-rev or hold angles where you can kill people without even needing to shoot them in the head anyway, just more boring, stale design that burdens this game.

(B_Montiel) #8

Does he need to be? He’s already bad for the game by his very design, and SD’s mistake was trying to make him as picked as Fragger in the first place instead of filling out a niche. Not like it’s hard to jump-rev or hold angles where you can kill people without even needing to shoot them in the head anyway, just more boring, stale design that burdens this game.

Nerfing both fragger and thunder health pool definitely did not help that either. As for fragger, I don’t think keeping his 1 grenade 2 kills ability was a good idea in this respect. I definitely would have prefered to see him stay at 160hp with significant reductions on his frag grenade. The ability to land an explosive pretty much where you point it is still powerful enough.

Niche filling could be a thing, but the all-rounder merc of choice in every class should have enough drawbacks to never become the best pick at any given moment. And that’s a real issue in DB balance to me…

(henki000) #9

I think Rhino isn’t competetive enough. In my opinion he should have minigun buff, so it would be more mobile to use. Then if it makes him too great, health should be nerfed slightly. One reason why Rhino isn’t that good, is because shotguns arent viable in most situations. And that is making Rhino more defensive aura station/shield synergy pick. He is good in chokepoints, but the problem is speed and map design. He doesnt have enough time to capture chokepoints first.

(HadronZodiac) #10

I don’t think hes really competitive, just really annoying. The main reason is how the minigun works and the gameplay it forces. He’s slow so theres no real reason to move if it affects your minigun (which already multiples spread by 9 every second). This makes people just sit in corners and decimate everyone till someone goes nader and decimates his ass.

Imo he should get 180 hp, +10 speed, slightly more damage fall-off on minigun and +10% accuracy, 92.5% movement speed when minigun comes out, -7.5% heat capacity.

This would make rhino a more mobile burst damage dealer, he can actually hit his targets but “sniping” with it would be punished. Hes forced to go aggressive or on defense patrol an area.

Although he is way better in closed quarters he still doesnt feel as viable as other mercs such as nader or even fragger

(GatoCommodore) #11

more damage fall off to minigun

it already deals 1 damage per bullet
you want 0.5 or 0.9 damage?

would that make him better tho? maybe @LifeupOmega is right, maybe he doesnt really need to be competitive.
Currently how i use rhino is pretty restricted and compared to Thunder, hes a mile behind since his main is a shotgun and i use the anhuld exclusively because longer range than average shotguns

(HadronZodiac) #12

Pretty sure it does 5 damage…

(RectalTerror) #13

Rhino is hilariously bad alone, and stupidly overpowered coupled with Aura. But that’s nice, that makes teamwork a requirement.

I had a problem with this before Jav came in, because Jav can easily (well, less now that she has to hit the rhino directly) take down a Rhino sitting next to a healing station. In the past, that was pretty hard (Fragger maybe).