Is Phantom poping headshots out of nowhere, a fair counterplay?

(GatoCommodore) #21

@XSheepieX said:
It’s just that nobody cares about nooby Phantoms in pub games. (Or at least I don’t) The main problem is that Phantom isn’t that great if you are good at him.

phantom bunny hopping with high ping is more scary than proxy tho.

(CyberVonCyberus) #22

@GatoCommodore said:

@XSheepieX said:
It’s just that nobody cares about nooby Phantoms in pub games. (Or at least I don’t) The main problem is that Phantom isn’t that great if you are good at him.

hah, just wait untill you see high ping kirakatanas

(GatoCommodore) #23

@CyberVonCyberus said:

@GatoCommodore said:

@XSheepieX said:

hah, just wait untill you see high ping kirakatanas

yea but its rare to see newbie using kira

hell, its rare to see any merc that has ability requirements of having a half brain

fletcher? “nah i cant aim”
kira? “nah i cant put down the laser”
sparks? “nah i dont know how to shoot the reviver”

(Rokon2) #24

@TheStrangerous said:
This started to bug me…
Since you can’t see a crouched Phantom in his cloak, well hidden. You get random headshot from a good Phantom. TF2 Spy needs to either be uncloacked or diguised to pop an Ambassador headshot.
Whenever I do the ambush headshot, I feel really cheap. Almost like I trolled them and not played fair…

Can any comp players give it a thought?

There is no counter. You just accept it. It’s by design that a Phantom charging at me down a hallway, all the while getting three-bursted several times only for him to be able to one shot you with Katana.

Entirely by design.

(XSheepieX) #25

That should never ever happen. I know the tricks Phantom’s pull and so I can always hunt them down if they try to sneak on me and if they rush, I gun them down before they even have chance to get close.

There is definitely a counter to Phantom and its just sticking with the group and looking for signs. You can hear and sometimes see a Phantom nearby. Every time you die by a Phantom, you need to learn from that death. Sometimes just watching your team’s back is enough to defend against a Phantom.

If you three-burst headshot a charging Phantom several times I’m pretty sure they will die. Even with body shots they probably will even cloaked.

(Rokon2) #26

@XSheepieX said:
That should never ever happen. I know the tricks Phantom’s pull and so I can always hunt them down if they try to sneak on me and if they rush, I gun them down before they even have chance to get close.

There is definitely a counter to Phantom and its just sticking with the group and looking for signs. You can hear and sometimes see a Phantom nearby. Every time you die by a Phantom, you need to learn from that death. Sometimes just watching your team’s back is enough to defend against a Phantom.

If you three-burst headshot a charging Phantom several times I’m pretty sure they will die. Even with body shots they probably will even cloaked.

Being more aware is not a counter play. That’s common sense that applies to literally everyone.

(XSheepieX) #27

It is counterplay. Phantom’s ability is a double edged sword. He is less visable but much more audiable. This is something introduced only by the cloak. It isn’t the same as just hearing him because the cloak actively makes it easier to hear him, giving his ability counterplay. The same goes for deployables which give his position away.

Counterplay is being able to predict what might happen when somebody uses their ability and actually being able to do something about it. For example, with rhino you can hear his minigun when it is charged so you know not to go that way and he can’t fire before the gun is ready. With Nader the grenades have an arc and don’t explode instantly so you have time to see them and run away. With Thunder you can see the concussion grenade and turn to reduce the effect of the grenade. And with Phantom you can hear him coming from two miles away and additionally he disables deployables when he’s really close.

(JJMAJR) #28

So, the argument here is that phantom’s cloak is garbage and provides literally nothing useful except against people who are flat out deaf?

Ahem.

(Rokon2) #29

I sure do love hearing Phantom walk around with all these explosions and gunfire going off. Man, maybe he should take off the metal plates under his boots, he’s so loud.

(XSheepieX) #30

“Omg what is that noise!? Is that a chainsaw!? I can’t hear all the gunfire over this noise what is it!?” Aura station gets deactivated “Oh… It’s just Phantom”.