Including the 2.60b patch in the downloads section

(Lagger) #21

Why? 2.60 and 2.60b clients and servers are interoperable, that’s why it’s 2.60b and not 2.61

Read Lekdevil post on what the problem actually is.

(kamikazee) #22

They aren’t interopable from within the game if you’re an ETPro player.

(Chruker) #23

Also pb will kick you for wrong et.exe version

(SCDS_reyalP) #24

Not true. PB doesn’t care which et.exe you use. “integrity failure” without a PB message is an etpro error. Some servers md5 check et.exe, but you can get around this by renaming the file. md5 checks operate strictly on filename, so you can run a completely different exe.

They aren’t interopable from within the game if you’re an ETPro player.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: YES THEY ARE. ETPro doesn’t care what .exe you use for the server. It only cares about what etpro version you use with which client version. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

(McSteve) #25

Ghostworks have updated their servers now, and to make things easier for our members (many are only casual players) I have made an installer to automate the update process.

All this does is copy the .exe files into the relevant directory (user can specify). Obviously it is NOT AN OFFICIAL RELEASE but since I thought it may help others I thought I might as well do some links. I made one to revert back to 2.60 too, just for the hell of it.

www.bogeylicker.co.uk/et/ET-2.60b-installer.exe

www.bogeylicker.co.uk/et/ET-2.60-revert.exe

WINDOWS ONLY!

Regards

GhosT:McSteve

(Chruker) #26

Chruker wrote:
Also pb will kick you for wrong et.exe version

Not true. PB doesn’t care which et.exe you use. “integrity failure” without a PB message is an etpro error. Some servers md5 check et.exe, but you can get around this by renaming the file. md5 checks operate strictly on filename, so you can run a completely different exe.

I just remembered seeing people getting kicked for the wrong et.exe

Anyway, regarding this 2.60b, I think it was a strange way they release it. I found no mention of it on any of the official site, so I was very hessitant (?) to download it. But I needed to to connect to my favorite server :slight_smile:

(McSteve) #27

Someone correctly pointed out that firewalls etc often block .exe downloads. I’ve stuck both in a zip to help get around this.

www.bogeylicker.co.uk/et/ET2_60b_installer.zip

(aquapancakes) #28

Or just go install Linux and the native Linux port of ET and don’t worry about stupid crap like this…

(Chruker) #29

Or just go install Linux and the native Linux port of ET and don’t worry about stupid crap like this…

Yes, turn this into yet another Windows flame thread… jeezzz

(ouroboro) #30

Agreed.

I love how Steam does it: they give you no choice. You don’t see an “unpatched” presence in Valve’s games (at least not since the Steam era).

As of this post there are 391 “unpatched” (2.55/2.56) W:ET servers. That should read: “unplayable”. Sure, I could downgrade with a patch selector, but why? There are no benefits to the older versions. They serve only to confuse and divide.

On a humorous note, there are more W:ET 2.55 servers (312) than all RtCW servers combined (204). :bump:

(kamikazee) #31

To my defense: a server will mostly not run in-game. It just runs in a console.
And if it did, (non-dedicated) the executable would be an issue again.

My point was that you could pick an ETPro server in the master browser list and get kicked, yet you could pick another one and be playing like normal. So, they aren’t interopable for players (again, this means clients) as one version will get you kicked while another doesn’t. Of course, a simple look at the mod_version could fix this, but most of the servers in my list are 3.2.5 if I sort on ping.

If I’m spreading more false claims, please tell me. But I did know that 2.60b runs flawlessly on any server, it’s just a matter of how you read my post.

(ouroboro) #32

Filter > New >

1 if mod_version != "3.2.6" remove

> ASE is your friend.

(SCDS_reyalP) #33

This depends on etpro version not on the server .exe

If I’m spreading more false claims, please tell me. But I did know that 2.60b runs flawlessly on any server, it’s just a matter of how you read my post.

The way I read your post (and mortis’s), it implied that the choice of 2.60 or 2.60b on the server had any impact on etpro. It doesn’t.

The suggestion of filtering all but 2.60b servers out of the master wouldn’t help anything (as lagger correctly pointed out). The problem is etpro and it’s dependence on a particular client .exe. It has nothing to do with what’s on the server.

Given how much confusion there already is, I find it very frustrating that people who should really know better continue to add to it with statements like this.

(mortis) #34

Yes, it is confusing. I meant that it is completely silly for server admins not to upgrade, as the server version has no bearing on which clients can connect.

I still think a mandatory across the board upgrade to say version 2.61 would be helpful.

Server operators should be upgrading to 2.60b regardless of what clients choose to do.

(SCDS_reyalP) #35

I agree completely. I guess what confused me is that most of the rest of the thread is about peoples problems with etpro and the client .exe.