I'm going to say a lot of things that may or may not improve your aim

(watsyurdeal) #1

A common thing you’ll see on here and other games, is being called a hacker is considered the ultimate compliment. Why? Well if this stuff helps out, and you get called one, you’ll know the feel bro.

1. Understanding spread

If you’ve played first person shooter before, you might have heard on the concept of spread. Simply put, spread is a dynamic value that determines the angle at which the bullets exit the gun. Keep in mind this IS a hit scan game, so this is pretty crucial to know cause it determines how the gun will behave.

First of all, when you fire the gun, it will bloom, when you stop firing, the bloom will reset to the initial starting accuracy. So, STOP SPRAYING, fire in controlled taps at the enemy’s head, preferably just above and or to the left of their head. Reason why is because hit models typically move ahead of the rendered models, it’s one of those weird things with multiplayer, get used to it.

So, to refresh, fire in bursts or tap out your shots, aim slightly to the left of the forehead, and you’ll do fine.

1. Strafing is key

Regardless of how you aim, one helpful tip is to learn how to strafe properly while keeping your cross hair lined up vertically with the enemy’s head. You might have heard the terminology “head level”. this is basically the same, if you drew a line from left to right, you crosshair would line up with the enemy’s head perfectly, meaning all you have to do is mash your a and d (or s and f) keys a so you can stay on the move while consecutively squeezing out shots. Done right you’ll land headshots constantly while being difficult to hit.

It also helps to mirror your enemy’s strafe, most people are right handed, so they’ll commonly go to the left on your screen, so, stay ahead of them slightly and you’ll nail them.

(watsyurdeal) #2
  1. Prefire

Counter Strike players know all about this, and it really is just a matter of timing and prediction. Prefiring is simply where you start shooting before the enemy comes around the corner, or you fire immediately upon coming around a corner, using game sense to predict where the enemy will be.

Some people, outside looking in, think you’re walling, but really you are making a guess. It’s a 50/50 shot that someone will be on the roof of underground or at the edge of stairs on Terminal, you just use your experience playing on a map to predict where the enemy will be.

There’s no real way to get better at this except for practicing, go around a corner, fire a single shot, get into that habit and start checking corners this way. You hear a ding you keep tapping till they go down.

1. Angles

Another Counter Strike term but it really does apply to any shooter that doesn’t play like Quake, ie, super fast with bunny hops and rocket jumps out the wazoo. Basically the idea behind an angle is to show as little of your body is possible, while still being able to cover a large number of sightlines. A good example is the roof on underground, you can cover the left hallway, the right, the lower secondary objective near the ammo box, and the elevator with a quick look to your right. By doing this you can cover a large portion of the map without having to move at all, just stay put, back off when you need to restore health and ammo, and play smart.

This is primarily what you do on defense, but on offense it can also be useful. For example, you’re pushing up the L stair steps on terminal to the first objective. You can peek into their spawn, then at the objective, then if it’s clear push up, if not, fall back a bit and kill anyone who is aggro and tries to come around the corner. This is where your prefiring comes in, time it, you know it takes say, a quarter of a second to come to the steps from the main objective point, so, just before the come around either get them with a nade or start firing with the M4.

This is also where aiming down your sights with the right click really helps, remember, you’re just peeking, trying to expose as little of yourself as possible. And ads will ensure your shots are pixel point accurate as it prevents any bloom from occurring.

(watsyurdeal) #3
  1. Spawn Waves and Pushing

So you may have noticed next to the game time, a secondary timer. This is your spawn wave timer, this tells you when the next spawn wave will be, as well as when the enemy’s is as well as it is typically offset by 10-5 seconds. So if it’s 10 seconds before your next wave, typically that means the enemy wave has just spawned, so expect to be outnumbered.

The best way to approach pushing is to time it so when you go out, you force the enemy to wait a full 20 seconds before spawning, allowing you plenty of time to kill the rest of the team, then plant the bomb.

This does require a lot of coordination but in my exprience on pubs, here’s the best way to utilize the spawn timer.

1. Skyhammer Airstrikes, time it so that the enemy team just walks right into a full blown wipe, giving your team the territory to control.

2. Multi Kills with Fragger Nades, big one, especially if you get a Sparks, Aura, Sawbonez, or Phoenix, a full wipe is pretty much guaranteed as there will be nobody to revive them.

3. Planting a bomb only when the enemy has a full spawn timer, this puts a lot pressure on the enemy team as if they are without an Engineer it will be damn near impossible to defuse the bomb.

4. Killing yourself to respawn with a different merc instantly, or respawn with full ammo and health. Your streaks don’t mean anything.

It’s also important to understand what the higher priority targets are, when the bomb is not planted, kill and gib Medics first, when it is, kill and gib engineers. When it’s an EV map, kill their Support mercs so you can push the EV without a hassle.

1. Changing your sensitivity

One of the biggest things that’s helped me is lowering my sensitivity, the reason why is simple. With a high sensitivity, you are mostly using your wrist, compared to a low sensitivity where you use your whole arm, your wrist is for micro corrections to your aim while your arm is used for swipes. This gives you a wider range of control and precision, as it’s more difficult to make slight adjustments to your aim or do consistent movements when you are using just your wrist and finger tips to move the mouse. For some games this works well, like an RTS or Moba, but for FPS a lower sens generally means more consistency.

So, how do you do this? Well, first off all you need to know that lowering your sens is like adding weights to a workout, it’ll require more effort overtime the lower you go, but once you do a higher sens or lighter weight, will feel like nothing, you’ll overcompensate and adjust and it just won’t feel right. My best advice is to figure out where you are now, by going to MouseSensitvity.com, and putting in all the information, your dpi, current sens, etc, and pay attention to the measurement per 360 number. You want that number higher, higher cm per 360 = a lower sensitivity, because you have to move your mouse more, whereas a higher sens means you move your mouse less.

The best way to get used to lower sens is to gradually lower it by 2 cm, lower it by 2, play with it for a few days till it feels too fast, you’ll know when it does, it’ll feel like you’re overcompensating your shots by a lot. Just keep going till it feels like you’re nailing every shot without fail.

Another good method I’ve found, is to get a large or medium sized mouse pad, like a Pure Trak Talent, a Artisan Hien SOFT L, or Steel Series QCK Large, then take the width of your mouse in mm, and subtract it from the width of your mouse pad. In my case, my Mionix Naos is about 85 mm wide, and my Pure Trak Talent is 483 wide, that gives me 398 mm, or 39.8 cm. Then, measure the width of your hand, your hand should be flat palm on the desk with no space between your fingers, just bring it as close together as possible. Then measure that with some measuring tape, mine was about 10 cm long, aka 100 mm. Then subtract that from the length of your mouse pad, I got 383, so my range for my sensitivity is 38.3-39.8 cm, and I got to basically fiddle around with that range till it’s perfect.

The reason this works is because the sensor is in the middle of the mouse, you don’t want the exact width of your mouse pad for your sens cause you literally have to have the sensor at the very edge of your mouse pad to do a 360, that’s not going to happen in practice. You generally are going to do a swipe to the left or right for a quick 180, then pick up the mouse and set it down in the center of the pad, you’ll do smaller swipes for quick 90 degree turns. The goal here is your are trying to get consistency, this is complete control of your sense of touch. You should feel the edge of your mouse pad, the amount of force you need to get it there, and it should all be one constant repetition of movements. Over time you WILL notice a difference in your aim, and you will get a higher K:D ratio assuming you do the other things I mentioned.

Now also keep in mind none of this guarantees success, you always face better enemies, so you need in turn to challenge yourself to keep improving. Constantly try to push your limits to their maximum to improve, that’s the only way you get better at anything. With that, I wish you luck.

(XavienX) #4

Nioce nioce.

Also, crouching when shooting long distances could concentrate the spread a little bit more but it’s not always effective FYI.

(CCP115) #5

Firstly, when should people be bursting? I’ve never found use for it, even though in my head I always try to figure out when to use it.

Secondly, how’s the Mionix? I kind of want one.

(TheVulpesFox) #6

A lot lf reading but probably worth it. Thanks for putting the effort into it.

(watsyurdeal) #7

[quote=“CCP115;132937”]Firstly, when should people be bursting? I’ve never found use for it, even though in my head I always try to figure out when to use it.

Secondly, how’s the Mionix? I kind of want one.[/quote]

@CCP115

Typically I do it at long range so I can get headshots or land more shots consistently while keeping my movement, if you stop to aim down sights you are a pretty easy target.

And as far as I’m concerned, Mionix makes damn good mice. Don’t know if they’re as good as Zowie but def better than Razer or Steelseries. Which one you should get is based on grip.

Avior 7000 - Claw
Castor - Fingertip
Naos 7000 - Palm

(torsoreaper) #8

Really good guide, it should probably get reposted in the new players section where it might get seen by more people. Not sure if it’s against the rules but I wish everyone new to FPS games would read this so whatever would help that.

The only thing I disagree with is using a meat paw grip and moving your whole arm vs using a fingertip grip. You get faster movement and precision using fingertip grip.

Similar to how you don’t hold a pencil with your whole hand and move your arm to write, it doesn’t make sense to palm a mouse and move your whole hand to move the cursor.

(watsyurdeal) #9

[quote=“torsoreaper;137793”]Really good guide, it should probably get reposted in the new players section where it might get seen by more people. Not sure if it’s against the rules but I wish everyone new to FPS games would read this so whatever would help that.

The only thing I disagree with is using a meat paw grip and moving your whole arm vs using a fingertip grip. You get faster movement and precision using fingertip grip.

Similar to how you don’t hold a pencil with your whole hand and move your arm to write, it doesn’t make sense to palm a mouse and move your whole hand to move the cursor.[/quote]

That’s all purely preference based, whatever works for you.

Because otherwise you’ll have to explain why a good majority of CS GO pros use a palm grip.

(Private_Falcon) #10

Just use the M4. It has laser accuracy.

(Private_Falcon) #11

Talkin to you @divineArea :slight_smile:

(rhythmGecko) #12

Thanks for the help man pre fire is something i really dont do often enough, I was really wondering if its better to have extra clip to help with pre fire around corners