I give up. I need a coder's help.

(DiaZ) #1

I’ll try to explain it well… some of you might have seen that MGS2 Liner map of mine, I’ve stated in the q3map2 support forum that I am revamping it, and one of the new things I’m trying to add is convincing rain impact splashes on surfaces. You might have seen in the map that the rain is made by putting a simple layer on the players view (CG_DrawPic) and then applying complex shaders on that layer. I think that adding nice water splashes on the floor would give more “depth” to the effect. I’ve tried everything I can, but I am no programmer, and my knowledge seems to be insufficient for this. Basically, the code would make a trace from random XY positions and a fixed Z position above the player, to a position below the player that is in the same XY coordinates. Then, a sprite (not an impact mark á la blood mark / bullet mark, just a vertically placed square sprite with the splash shader on it ) would be drawn in the position where the trace hits a plane. This would happen randomly on a small area around the player (doing it on the whole map is worthless and a waste of resources, obviously).

So after all, yeah, I am “recruiting” a programmer for this “mini-mod”, to do just this small job. If anyone wants to help, reply here or mail me at levelmasta@hotmail.com. You’ll have full credit once the map gets re-released.

PS. I need this…

(DiaZ) #2

By the way, just in case you want to se what you’d be helping with, here’s a small screen of the in-progress revamping work.

(DiaZ) #3

Well, I wasn’t exactly getting insane amounts of help, but anyways, I’ve finally done it myself. The code is at times kinda nasty (lots of lines simply because a “for” or “while” loop will lock up the game) but it works well and the performance hit is not huge.

(MuffinMan) #4

hey diaz, sorry nobody could help you. now as you did it yourself when are we going to see the finished map? the beta was cool!

(DiaZ) #5

The map I released was not a beta, it was a final version, but since I wasn’t happy with it I started revamping it… or should I say rebuild almost from scratch. Anyways, it’ll be 3 stealth based maps now. I should have made something more original this time, I know, but for some reason, I wanted to make this :smiley: I guess i’m an inconformist.

(Twey) #6

It looks kind of similar to the main base in MGS… If it is based on that, I should say that it’s probably against copyright law…

(DiaZ) #7

Yes, which is why it might not be released, the point is that i’m having fun myself making it and learning lots of new things, specially about Photoshop and coding. I plan, however, on making something original with all the effects I’ve coded once I am done.

(Hewster) #8

Glad you got your problem solved Diaz, Its always nice when you fix a
problem yourself :slight_smile:

If you need a Linux compile, just e-mail me & I’ll be glad to do that
again for you.

Hewster

(DiaZ) #9

Just not to create another thread, I’ll post it here.
Since I aim for realism on this mod (yeah, it’s becoming a mod, several maps, new gun and skins and sounds…) it’d be nice to have motion blur, which adds a lot more realism specially at 60 fps. Does anyone know if this can be implemented internally or externally? i mean, it’s a frame effect, wouldn’t it be possible to write a external program that would handle this? (basically making frames last a bit longer, with progressive transparency, then blend them all) If there’s one already or if it’s possible let me know, then I’ll start looking for info and help (there are several motion blur demos around but not a standard “filter” for opengl / d3d.) I’ll be asking at other forums too but I ask here first since it might be possible to implement using the source (though I doubt it).

(ronboy) #10

Tatiana has uploaded a playthrough for MGS2 Liner! You can watch it on my website here: https://goo.gl/WIOYqW

(Nerwitz) #11

\o/ MGS gives horror feels.

(William Faure) #12

MGS is one of my most favorite video-game series. It’s one of the best sagas of all-time.
I must say that this map and the work that was put into it is truly amazing! feeling nostalgic

(vicpas) #13

Pity that the author did a single level.
Because this topic could be a great episode.

(ronboy) #14

[QUOTE=vicpas;558461]Pity that the author did a single level.
Because this topic could be a great episode.[/QUOTE]

I agree; it’s a shame indeed. :frowning:

DiaZ clearly had some talent as a mapper.

(William Faure) #15

[QUOTE=vicpas;558461]Pity that the author did a single level.
Because this topic could be a great episode.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ronboy;558472]I agree; it’s a shame indeed. :frowning:
DiaZ clearly had some talent as a mapper.[/QUOTE]
I can’t agree more.

(ronboy) #16

Yo$hik has uploaded a playthrough for MGS2 Liner in “extreme quality”! You can watch it on my website here: https://goo.gl/BuK4jl