How to make Extraction more appealing

(attack) #21

first of all USA has the smallest et community.
if you look at europe you would see that there are still many public servers and yeah maybe after 10 years competition is dead .but 2 or 3 years ago there was still a big community.
but thatsnearly the same with quake and they got a quake con still some thousands viewers.

i choosetd potty not only because of his skill .if you like him oir not you have to admit that he already have done damn much for this game ,he organize cups and drafttournaments.without potty this game would be much less enjoyable!

(RasteRayzeR) #22

[QUOTE=shaftz0r;485706]
should i have formulated a 3 paragraph rebuttal as to why that’s a bad idea instead[/QUOTE]

yes.

[QUOTE=shaftz0r;485706]
that game has been a dead fish for almost 5 years. just because there are 100 people worldwide that still play it “competitively” does not make it alive in any aspect, and we are those people they ask, unfortunately not to the degree that they should be. i can name 4 people from the NA community that used to play ET at its highest level that still contribute to these forums. I have personally played for team USA in 3 nations cups and get asked every season to play. Potty wouldnt even be on the list of people i would ask from euroland[/QUOTE]

But that’s absolutely not the point we are talking about here :

1. What I said is that pro players from here or from other similar games should be consulted because this can help improving the map designs. I never spoke of Potty, though he is used to comp. playing and could certainly have good feedback for SD.

2. ET still has players after 10 years. There are not many games that can claim that award but mostly it’s not about the number of players right now 10 years after, it’s about what made this game so enjoyable all along compared to newer games.

3. Please focus on what I really said : bringing selected players to the table of early design for maps can save money big time and ensure SD has all the elements at hand to make the best maps possible. And that’s worth the shot imo.

(ailmanki) #23

ET is diying cause of cheater problems, not because of the game itself. To be exact, in 2009 Punkbuster etkey system became completely useless. Which made pbbans and other 3 party anticheat communities drop support for ET. Since then several attempts to recreate a anticheat system have been done. So far none is really succesfull; and even Punkbuster itself was really questionable - since at minimum they would have needed to update ET itself.
And Evenbalance also dropped ET support. Its not the game, its the facility around it.

(prophett) #24

I played ET - let me fix the maps! (or at least implement my suggestions for London Bridge) :smiley:

I think the problem is that most maps need a lot of changes that really don’t involve major reworking of the map.It seems like we are taking baby steps, trying to make these maps more enjoyable with as little change/effort/money as possible, rather than implementing the sweeping changes that some of them need.

@Splash Damage - You have acknowledged the the maps are a problem, do you have a MAJOR “map” patch planned to address our concerns and add some new maps/blockouts? If so, where does that fall on your road map?

@Shafty - cool your jets. This isn’t et-center.com :confused:

(shaftz0r) #25

[QUOTE=ailmanki;485712]ET is diying cause of cheater problems, not because of the game itself. To be exact, in 2009 Punkbuster etkey system became completely useless. Which made pbbans and other 3 party anticheat communities drop support for ET. Since then several attempts to recreate a anticheat system have been done. So far none is really succesfull; and even Punkbuster itself was really questionable - since at minimum they would have needed to update ET itself.
And Evenbalance also dropped ET support. Its not the game, its the facility around it.[/QUOTE]

you’re 100% correct. even the extreme amount of player tracking that sponge went through at TWL didnt really help that much. you also have to remember how bad lag was with pb enabled. tzac was a good attempt at a fix, except that the person that coded it, also sold cheats…

(potty200) #26

Shall we just rename this topic to “Lets talk about Potty”?

On the flip side, I don’t think experience in other games is needed. Look at that awesome “PRO” Cooller over on the Russians side of things… He made a REAL impact for the best over there! Haha.

Either way, I feel putting ideas forward about maps would be nice. Instead of spending hours on something that will not work/won’t be enjoyable.

Also guys, chill out for a bit. You guys are just going backwards and forwards trying to get your point across. Make your point and be done with it.

(onYn) #27

Can you guys pls stop talking about the size of your and others onlinegenitals in my thread? Even tho I am interested in how good you think x,y or yourself are, it´s not the right place here.
Also I am well aware, of what I can expect, and what not, However, giving feedback and telling my thoughts about certain things is my good right and I will take use of it.

Even tho I also have experienced some updates myself, I don´t feel like there is put a lot of effort in improving the game. Not only imrpvoing it like the “feedbackers” would like it to have, but also not in any other way. People are away for months from this game, expecting a major update, and if it comes, it´s not that “major” at all. It feels like the biggest amount of work, at least since I am in the alpha, is being put into making mercs. Also, I can´t understand it, how a gamedeveloping company, can do such decissions as they have been made here. Especially how can you put a fast paced game, with up to 16 players, into small tube maps? That´s just going to end up in a sausage fest bigger then any physics students party.

(Rex) #28

I’m not sure if you are aware that the first 3 maps were made in an early stage without the gameplay being established as we know it today. Though let’s see with what changes they come up for the new maps, because those matter.

(BomBaKlaK) #29

Mouhahahaha ! Medicine student party is much better !

(onYn) #30

Oh yeah, I haven´t known that one. Thy :wink:

(acQu) #31

In the beginning of the alpha the movement speed was actually slower, and probably even better that slow (looking at it from perspective of the maps which have to be made in synch with movement speed). EDIT i mean look at the Russian version of xT: it may have been their thought also that the movement is too fast compared to map design and thus slowed it down … or they simply toned down movement speed because they liked it, or for no reason at all lol, etc.

I think at some point SD even listened to us (although there was miscommunication i think, because the demand, as far as i remember, was to increase movement speed, but it was actually the sidewards sprint and sprint while shoot and the slowdowns actually making xT feel so slow at that point, but the demand nevertheless was increasing the movement speed) and made the movement speed a tid bit faster (just as requested). But this was just a bad compromise and imo a wrong “fix” (if you can call it fix) of an actual other problem or general feeling the community had with the flow of the game. Compared to movement flow of (example) W:ET, xT is no where near the fast-paceness i used to know. It seems there have been a redefinition (or a fix of my definition) of the term “fast-paced”. xT currently feels fast-paced (to me) solely because of the fast clashes and short amount of times to reach the battlefield, because of the tube design of most maps. In earlier (W:ET, Quake) days a game, to me, felt “fast-paced”, because of the movement system and (very important) the infight fastness, the infight battles, which were limited by stamina bar.

So what we have with the “fast-paceness” right now seems pretty much exactly the “wishi washi” you mentioned earlier in another context ^^

(Dragonji) #32

Is Locki still involved in this project? Just curious as he didn’t show up on the forums for months. To me it looks like Xt went into an unexpected direction when he stopped to be active here.

(Rex) #33

That’s a good question.

(DarkangelUK) #34

Tbh I’m just getting bored of it now. If someone is stupid enough to take a single quote from a nub who had access to the alpha for a month as something of a ‘promise’ from the devs of the direction the game was going to take then they are complete morons… I have absolutely no pity for them if they thought it was going to be a carbon copy of ET from that quote, I hope their dreams have been crushed into dust so I can sprinkle their remains over my cereal for breakfast.

(onYn) #35

Don´t know right now if you are realy that mad or just massive troll. However, it doesn´t matter what you or someone else is saying. It´s just that it was quoted. When something like that is being quoted, and made public even tho there is this NDA and stuffs, it delivers a message. In this case the message was, that this game will be somehow like ET, not exactly like it, but with some of it´s strengths.

(acQu) #36

He is mad AND a massive troll :smiley: He made a really good quote, attractive marketing-wise. And it was a great bait :smiley:

P.S. was among the first to warn that this can backfire, as the game was, to me, clearly not designed in the old W:ET or ET:QW fashion (mainly with perspective of the slow downs and the MMS theme/touch of it). But i was put in my corner i guess haha :smiley:

(DarkangelUK) #37

It is somehow like ET though, so there you go, job done.

I am a massive troll though, and I like cereal.

(BomBaKlaK) #38

[QUOTE=DarkangelUK;485731]It is somehow like ET though, so there you go, job done.

I am a massive troll though, and I like cereal.[/QUOTE]

I though you were a wizard.
I don’t care about ET I want some Magic !

(rookie1) #39

[QUOTE=BomBaKlaK;485732]…
I don’t care about ET I want some Magic ![/QUOTE] :stroggbanana::smiley:

(Glottis-3D) #40

The game is not catchy, yep. Mostly because of maps(layout AND objects) and performance. SOme other things are quikly adjustable.