How are displayed player names computed?

(RectalTerror) #1

So there was a guy headshotting a little too well, and shortly after there were debates about reporting him, he changed his clan tag in the scoreboard. That alone already looked suspicious. Then I leave the server to join another, and not to enter the same one again, I check the player list. And in the same server, with everyone else, he wasn’t listed. I join again, he’s still there.

So

1. why is it even allowed to change your displayed name mid-game, even if it’s “just” the clan tag [which, when you have a generic “player123456” name appended, is the only way to name you]?

2. how are some players named “player123456”, meaning we’re not even seeing their real name during the game? [and what could be the reason to do this? Reminding you that we suspected the guy from botting, to start with]

3. why is only the server list displaying their real name?

Even if he wasn’t botting, it’s a bit dodgy to do this mid-game, and it sucks that the game allows it.

(Begin2018) #2

When your name begins with some unicode character then you get a generic PlayerXXX in scoreboard. Probably because this part of the code isn’t unicode compliant. For example, if you rename your Steam account ♂RectalTerror.

(Press E) #3

Changing your clantag isn’t unusual considering it’s literally the only time you can change it last I checked, didn’t work in the lobby. It’s also a fun way to mess with people, copy their clantag or make a parody of it, etc. But who cares anyways, even if they could change their entire name… what is that actually accomplishing?

Also as @Begin2018 said DB bugs out when you have unicode characters in your name. But that doesn’t really matter since you can still easily click on their name in the leaderboard and go directly to their profile