High frametimes when moving mouse

(belstgut) #1

Ok, since the forum just denied me to publish my post, here again the short version:

• Updated GPU from GTX 560 Ti to GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
  • Extremly high frametimes on the game tread (over 200ms and higher) even on lowest settings when moving mouse/changing scenes
  • Probably something to do with texture streaming. The game is not on my ssd
  • Could preload all the textures into vram (11GB), no need to stream

Ideas?

Current ShooterEngine.ini: https://dpaste.de/eZfS

(belstgut) #2

:frowning:

(belstgut) #3

well, I hoped this would be fixed in the new update. nope. frametimes still spike to over 100ms when I move my mouse/position

(belstgut) #4

ok, figured out it is only happening when moving the mouse. Video is currently uploading

(belstgut) #5

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMdUVq3nwk4

(rotermax1) #6

@belstgut said:
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMdUVq3nwk4

This seems really weird. You maybe want to contact DB support on that one.

(CaRe) #7

Try updating/re-installing its drivers. If it has a configuration program, look for a polling rate setting. Potentially, your CPU is weak and your polling rate is very high.

Does your CPU usage drastically increase when you move the mouse when not playing a game? If yes, then a very high polling rate might cause your issues.

Also, check your DB configuration’s one frame thread lag setting.

If that doesn’t help, maybe try updating your USB drivers.

(belstgut) #8

I have 1000Hz polling rate. DB is the only game where this happens.

I can play CSGO, dota, ET, Overwatch, Elex, Skyrim and so on without problems. Every game that has a raw input mode has it enabled.

My CPU load doesnt increase at all when moving the mouse. Not even when Im ingame. (harder to see, but overall doesnt look different than when not moving the mouse)

I lowered the polling rate to 250 Hz and it seems to fix the problem in dirtybomb. I would like to have it back at 1000Hz though. And as I said, I think the problem is somewhere with DB because it is literally the only game where this happens.

(CaRe) #9

@belstgut said:
I have 1000Hz polling rate. DB is the only game where this happens.

I can play CSGO, dota, ET, Overwatch, Elex, Skyrim and so on without problems. Every game that has a raw input mode has it enabled.

My CPU load doesnt increase at all when moving the mouse. Not even when Im ingame. (harder to see, but overall doesnt look different than when not moving the mouse)

I lowered the polling rate to 250 Hz and it seems to fix the problem in dirtybomb. I would like to have it back at 1000Hz though. And as I said, I think the problem is somewhere with DB because it is literally the only game where this happens.

DB is more CPU hungry than the other ones. But that does not mean that DB might inefficiently react to mouse movements or something else causing CPU usage spikes based on that input.
I was able to freeze StarCraft II’s UI via mouse movements during its older UI iterations, a game that basically only uses a single CPU core. Each movement update seemed to have caused a redraw of the entire UI and my CPU was too slow to update it faster than the polling rate created new tasks.

But the insanely huge increase is weird. The game thread duration increase I experience when moving the mouse on an empty, local map is a third of the game’s baseline: 1.6ms jumps to 2.1ms due to mouse movement at 1000hz polling rate. So, for you in that video, the additional time should be less than 2ms. Instead, you go into the hundreds, so something is going wrong somewhere.

Your game’s log does not happen to contain a billion of error outputs when you move your mouse that could explain where all of that additional CPU workload comes from? :smiley:

(K1X455) #10

What mouse exactly are you using?

(belstgut) #11

I am using a Steelseries sensei raw