[Guide] Who are the unreleased Mercs?!

(solt.) #1

Hey guys, if you’re like me you joined the DB community as a result of the move to Steam. As such, I had (still have) no experience with the vast majority of Mercs.

As such I thought I’d see what I could find out and compile that info here. Hopefully this will help you participate or at least have context in conversations referencing these Mercs.

Keep in mind none of these Mercs are guaranteed to make a comeback, and if they do their kits and abilities may change significantly.

If you’re a veteran player willing to add info to these descriptions please post below!

Aimee
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/dirtybomb/images/3/30/AimeeIdle.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width/80?cb=20150119212915
“Aimee is a sniper with the semi-auto as her primary and her original ability was the third eye cam, which allowed you to see the surroundings of where it was thrown, and could be detonated as a bomb. She is a light merc comparable to aura.” -Solid Stache

Kira
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/dirtybomb/images/b/b8/KiraIdle.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width/80?cb=20150119210516
Kira’s primary ability seems to be Orbital Laser Strike. She also has an Ammo Station as her secondary, this leads me to believe she fulfills a similar role to Arty & Skyhammer.

Phantom

“Phantom is a melee merc where his special ability is to turn invisible for a short period of time, and his katana allowed him to lunge at people. His movement speed is comparable to sky hammer and other similar mercs.” -Solid Stache

Phoenix
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/dirtybomb/images/4/42/PhoenixIdle.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width/80?cb=20150113195157&format=webp
A medic who heals using an aura around him. Has the ability to self-revive.

Redeye

A sniper specialized in closer-combat. Primary ability is a smoke grenade, which is complemented by his secondary ability which gives him infrared vision.

Rhino

Very high health, low speeds, his primary ability gives him a minigun.

Sparks

“Sparks is a medic that is able to revive at long range and have small medkits that heal a flat amount. She is a light merc comparable to aura.” -Solid Stache

Stoker
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/dirtybomb/images/a/a7/StokerIdle.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width/80?cb=20150113195929&format=webp
Uses molotov cocktails as his primary ability for sustained area control. Also capable of providing ammo to himself and teammates.

Thunder

His primary ability throws a concussive grenade which disables anyone hit by it.

Turtle

“Turtle is an Engineer character who has the ability to put up a defensive wall. No public testing has been done with him yet, and from what I’ve read his signature weapon is the Blishlok, but I am not confident about that.” -Solid Stache

Javelin
i[/i]
“Another Merc Splash Damage has discussed is Javelin, dunno if that’s the name but it’s a soldier character with a rocket launcher. The weapon has the added ability to remote control the rockets. Only his rough model has been shown thus far.” -Solid Stache

Notes

• The mercs with hexagonal portraits do not have portraits on these forums, read into that what you wish.

This information was compiled from the (under development) DB wiki: http://dirtybomb.wikia.com/
Big ups to those putting work into it.

(Eox) #2

Thanks for the information. :slight_smile:

(Solid Stache ~NaC) #3

Sparks is a medic that is able to revive at long range and have small medkits that heal a flat amount. She is a light merc comparable to aura.

Aimee is a sniper with the semi-auto as her primary and her original ability was the third eye cam, which allowed you to see the surroundings of where it was thrown, and could be detonated as a bomb. She is a light merc comparable to aura.

Phantom is a melee merc where his special ability is to turn invisible for a short period of time, and his katana allowed him to lunge at people. His movement speed is comparable to sky hammer and other similar mercs.

The unknown character is Turtle, an engineer type character who has the ability to put up a defensive wall. No public testing has been done with him yet, and from what i read his signature weapon is the blishnok(sp?), but I am not confident about that.

All of this will probably be changed since this was during the alpha/closed beta testing periods from approximately a year ago.

(solt.) #4

Updated with thumbnails for visual reference, and a few notes.

(Gaspoline) #5

if the closed beta build from before kira/sparks is no longer nda’d, I’ll post some of my pix/inforrmation

(Solid Stache ~NaC) #6

Updated my post to include Turtle, however, no public testing has been done yet so take the info with a grain of salt.

Another Merc Splash Damage has discussed is Javelin, dunno if that’s the name but it’s a soldier character with a rocket launcher. The weapon has the added ability to remote control the rockets. Only his rough model has been shown thus far.

(MissMurder) #7

Looking forward to give you guys more background info on these Mercs down the road :slight_smile:

(charmingMist) #8

Thank you very much, I watched some youtube videos from previous betas but there was still some mercs I had no idea about !

(cosmopolitanSponge) #9

oh so fletcher was the guy who said ‘a gift for you!’ in one of the trailers, cool

(TitaniumTeddyBear) #10

Awesome! There is going to be soooo much tactical depth to this game when it’s ready, both in terms of individual play and team composition.

I can’t wait.

(cosmopolitanSponge) #11

@TitaniumTeddyBear the hype is real with this one

(deerYear) #12

sooo… i dont get it. there were like 20 mercs released and with the swap to steam they took out like 15 mercs again? why delete 3/4 of the mercs completely? I mean i can understand if they giveme the opportunity to buy them. but why take them out completey? dont see the logic

///EDIT

oh okay… those mercs got taken out because of bugs, etc? Or do they want to tweak thing about the balance?

(Szakalot) #13

[quote=“deerYear;19562”]
oh okay… those mercs got taken out because of bugs, etc? Or do they want to tweak thing about the balance?[/quote]

Both: some mercs (at least 4 I know off) where put off for a while until re-worked more to SD’s liking.

So far, every merc re-released has been altered in some way, compared to how they handled back in January.

Also, mercs themselves were tested plenty, so I imagine they are testing how does their release system cater to the F2P market. (basically: is it too easy to grind out the 50k before the new merc comes?)