GtkRadiant, Q3Map2, Frontend compilers and Windows 7

(Infernis) #1

Hello,

I have some serious problems when trying to compile maps under Windows 7 64 Bits.

My setup:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bits
GtkRadiant 1.4.0
Q3Map2 Toolz 0.6.015
Q3Map2Build
Manual Batchfiles
Q3map2 2.5.16

GtkRadiant would not allow me to save new maps or saved updated ones. Everything Quake 3 related is on a seperate drive without restrictions. I fixed this by doing the following:

Go to edit > preferences. In the ‘Layout’ section, untick ‘Use win32 file load dialogue’. You should now be able to save, save as and save selected as normal. Be sure however to add the .map extension when saving.

Now it doesn’t matter how, with what map or which program I compile. I either get this error:

Failure run batch file: Invalide procedure call or argument

Or it does compile but Quake 3 can’t find the .bsp file. I checked all the paths and they are correct. Recompiling gives me the failure error again. So I have to manually remove the .bsp before I can compile again.

I’m not sure anymore where it goes wrong.

To sum it up:

Maps do get compiled, files are written away but Quake 3 doesn’t see them even though they are in the right directory.

What more can I try?

Thanks

(Infernis) #2

I fixed it by reinstalling everything. Quake, Radiant, Q3Map2.

Don’t know what caused it but I’m happy it works.

(VolumetricSteve) #3

I don’t know what it is with windows 7 but I’ve seen that kind of problem come up a lot. I’m sure it handles NTFS differently from how XP did, and I think there’s an extra layer of security for file access that didn’t exist in XP, I’m not sure where it is or how it works though. I just know that…sometimes windows 7 will start telling you things that aren’t true (like you saw when you had files in the right directory) and all you can do is reinstall them until they work.

Personally, I’m working on migrating my mapping into Linux.

If you have a 64-bit machine, there’s a very good chance whatever you’re doing will perform better under linux.

(obsidian) #4

Windows 7 works fine. NTFS changes are pretty “under the hood” so you’ll never know the difference. I think you’re thinking of Bitlocker disk encryption on Ultimate and Enterprise. Otherwise, you’re talking about protected file locations which the OS doesn’t want you manually editing files in (C:\Windows and C:\Program Files, etc.), and with good reason. Linux and OS X does the same thing for a number of directories.