GtkRadiant 1.6.4 going to support RtCW again

(Mateos) #1

Hello,

The support for RtCW is back on GtkRadiant, see:

I guess it will be included in the next release, which have interesting new features (like a Struct/Detail toggle button, so you can choose if what you create is VIS blocking or not) :slight_smile:

(ronboy) #2

Sounds interesting. But it will only support Q3map2 for compiling instead of Q3map, am I right?

(Mateos) #3

At the moment it seems there’s no Q3Map bundled, but I will ask and it will probably get included (in my opinion, now the details…), since we have already the choice between x32 and x64 Q3Map2 I don’t think adding this choice will be hard to incorporate :slight_smile:

(Mateos) #4

Q3Map isn’t planned for 1.6, confirmed by the guy managing it and ET, sorry :confused:

(ronboy) #5

What a shame. That new feature you mentioned above (the detail/structural button) would have been very helpful to me.
But, the ancient Rtcw is best compiled with Q3map instead of Q3map2.

(Mateos) #6

I have let them know people would be interested in having it for RtCW, they just said “no for 1.6”, let’s hope it’s just for the 1.6.4 milestone :slight_smile:

(Mateos) #7

Here is a build with the RtCW support (Q3Map2 only, but x32 or x64), if anything’s wrong join us on #radiant @ QuakeNet or PM me or Obsidian:

http://gtkradiant.s3.amazonaws.com/GtkRadiant-1.6.4-20130824.zip

(AidenDemon) #8

wow. that’s pretty good! nice news!

(ronboy) #9

Mateos, thanks for your efforts. I hope that Q3map can be used in the new radiant, because although Q3map is no longer supported, me and many other sp mappers find it to be the best version for sp mapping.

(Mateos) #10

Mmh I guess for now you can use this one to map and compile with 1.4/1.5 or older (or batch);

A good thing to have Q3Map would be IMO to make a ticket on GitHub and have anyone willing for it saying it on the ticket! If there’s several replies it may be prioritize in consequence maybe, who knows :slight_smile:

(-SSF-Sage) #11

Mateos, I was unable to download the Zip file. :frowning:

I don’t see why you would not be able to manually install Q3map to it. Should you not be able to install it just like you would install different Q3Map2 version on it. Correct me if I’m wrong. After all 1.6 should end up with exactly same .map file as 1.4/1.5.

I must argue once more about Q3Map vs. Q3Map2. Yes it is perfectly possible to take advantage of Q3map2 with RTCW like any other game. Q3Map is just easier to use if you don’t care for the fine features and looks. I strongly disagree on RTCW being best compiled with Q3Map.

(Mateos) #12

Edited the post, copy/pasting the address works :slight_smile:

(ronboy) #13

Q3map2 was made more for mp mapping. Sp has the shader overflow bug (I know there are workarounds, but this should have been fixed for sp).
Mp doesn’t have the shader overflow bug once Rtcw is patched to version 1.41. Unfortunately, sp won’t update to 1.41, only mp… :frowning:

(-SSF-Sage) #14

Yes indeed. Shader overflow is very annoying but manageable. It’s not bad if you know the bug before you start the map and work accordingly. It is less fun when you convert a big project from ET. Hehe. :slight_smile: But I choose to tackle it. :slight_smile:

(obsidian) #15

Is there any reason why you guys prefer Q3Map over Q3Map2? It’s just a continuation of the same project, only… uh, you know… actually being developed and supported. If there are any issues, all you have to do is reach out through the support channels so that we know there is something that needs fixing. If no one tells us there are problems, we won’t know about it, will we.

Could someone provide description and details about this shader overflow bug? Steps/test map to reproduce. Preferably with some verbose output from Q3Map2.

(ronboy) #16

[QUOTE=obsidian;467077]Is there any reason why you guys prefer Q3Map over Q3Map2? It’s just a continuation of the same project, only… uh, you know… actually being developed and supported. If there are any issues, all you have to do is reach out through the support channels so that we know there is something that needs fixing. If no one tells us there are problems, we won’t know about it, will we.

Could someone provide description and details about this shader overflow bug? Steps/test map to reproduce. Preferably with some verbose output from Q3Map2.[/QUOTE]

We prefer Q3map because it is more “friendly” with Rtcw sp. As I mentioned above, Rtcw mp is fine once patched to version 1.41. But sp won’t update to 1.41.
It’s simple to reproduce the error. Just take a large/detailed map, and compile with Q3map2. You should see muzzle flashes with some messed up textures, and other strange glitches then. It would be great if the Q3map2 development team was able to fix this bug, so we sp mappers can take advantage of the newer Q3map2. :slight_smile:

(obsidian) #17

Can you provide a sample map? We’ll need one to test Q3Map2 with.

(-SSF-Sage) #18

http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/idtech/q3map2-error-messages.php?subaction=showfull&id=1148502027&archive=&start_from=&ucat=15&

Here is a quite well detailed info about it. I’ll try to find an old map version that I can pm you to test compile with it. I have a feeling someone said this would be really easy fix in the Q3Map2 code, but I might be wrong.

Btw. While at it, are you going to edit BSPC tool (AAS compiler)? There is this one line that need a bigger value that would probably have saved me half year of brutal work. I know this was unofficially fixed for many games but never was able to find working one for RTCW. Atleast max planes count needs a bigger value, it’s the biggest problem. Possibly somethings else. To give you a relative idea, an average ET map has to be cut into 2 or 3 maps to be able to compile aas with the current tools (still takes months to tweak it to get under the limit). Here is a link http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/idtech/q3map2-error-messages.php?subaction=showfull&id=1135215899&archive=&start_from=&ucat=15&

(ronboy) #19

You beat me, Sage. :slight_smile: I was going to compile one of the official maps with Q3map2 until I found one with shader overflow, then send that to obsidian.
It would be really great to get the shader overflow as well as other annoying Q3map2 specific bugs fixed for Rtcw sp. If all goes well, maybe I can use the new Gtk Radiant 1.6 as my main map editor, and use 1.2.11 for cameras.

(obsidian) #20

There is no Q3Map2 team, the project is integrated with GtkRadiant. Regarding the shader overflow issue, it sounds like it is a RTCW SP game specific issue. As mentioned, I created an issue report for it so at least we are aware of it. GtkRadiant is an entirely volunteer driven project and we don’t really have a dedicated RTCW programmer. RTCW support will be enabled in GtkRadiant 1.6.4 using the existing gamepacks, but outside of that there aren’t too many changes that are RTCW specific. Merlin is kind of in charge of RTCW support but I’m not sure how familiar he will be to this issue. You may have to contact him and see what he is able to do.