grasssteps sound is not generated with q3map2

(sd2009) #1

Hi,

I have finished building a new large sp rtcw map (65 x 65 gray scale height map). The grass terrain does not cause grass sound if I put (surfaceparm grasssteps) in the terrain shader but the terrain looks fine. I hear the grass steps sound if I enter the shader name of the map in shaderlist.txt but the textures look totally damaged. The tcmod scale does not work properly after I insert the name of my terrain shader in the shaderlist.txt file. What is the reason?

I have q3map2 version 2.5.11
gtkradiant 1.4
EasyGen 1.42

The parameter q3map_terrain is present inside the file common.shader in terrain and terrain2.

Here is a sample:

texture/mymap/terrain_0
{
q3map_lightmapsamplesize 64
q3map_lightmapaxis z
q3map_texturesize 512 512
q3map_tcGen ivector (1024 0 0) (0 1024 0)
surfaceparm grasssteps
{
map textures/grass/grass10.tga
tcmod scale .063 .063
}
{
map $lightmap
blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
tcGen lightmap
}
}

Please, see the attachment as a reference.

Thank you for any help.
sd2009

(vicpas) #2

I don’t know why this error occurs.
Try to email for the best RTCW mapper and inform your problem.
He always help me and his email is info@katsbits.com.

(obsidian) #3

Try using the latest version of Q3Map2 (2.5.16).

Unrelated, but you probably don’t want to use q3map_textureSize. Deprecated and only useful for the PS2 version of RTCW. Also, you set texture size with ivector, so it’s actually quite redundant.

(sd2009) #4

You are right. I removed all the stuff that EasyGen inserted inside the terrain shader and now I can enjoy with both my ears and eyes. wolfsp.exe did not like those lines. I removed all the lines q3map_bla… I installed the q3map2_16 also.
Thank you.

(sd2009) #5

q3map2 (2.5.11 to 2.5.16) and EasyGen 1.42 are not compatible

(obsidian) #6

Easygen uses old-school alphamap terrain blending. It’s old, not intuitive to use and a bit antiquated. alphaMod (dotproduct and volume) terrain blending is the shizzle.

http://simonoc.com/pages/articles/terrain1_1.htm

(sd2009) #7

Hi Obsidian,

Your link was very neat and suitable. I remixed my shader, please look at the results below. The q3map 2.5.16 and 2.5.13 are disappointing me though, with the same syntax, why? q3map 2.5.11 is the perfect one for my map. q3map 2.5.13 and 2.5.16 are residing alone in the folder under wolf\radiant14\q3map2_16 and wolf\radiant14\q3map2_13 respectively. q3map2 2.5.11 is residing together with c:\radiant14 since it has the same dlls like gtkradiant 1.4. Could this be the reason or did the syntax change between 2.5.11 and the rest => 13 and 16?

Thanks,
sd2009.

(obsidian) #8

First screenshot: Looks like instead of projecting the texture from the z-axis as normal terrain is, it looks perhaps it is being box-mapped. Without the full shader, it’s hard to tell.

I don’t know why you’re getting inconsistencies between versions, ideally, you should have no reason to use anything other than 2.5.16. I’ve used it for terrain blending purposes and it works perfect for me (and Sock).

(sd2009) #9

I looked at the log and found that q3map2 2.5.11 does not understand the command q3map_alphaMod dotproduct2. It just ignored it and produced a perfect terrain. 2.5.13 and 2.5.16 understand it (unfortunately and fortunately) and they performed it and damaged my terrain severly. I removed the line from my shader and the terrain is even more perfect with 2.5.16 now, it produced excellent shadows from ase and md3 models. No shader manual would tell you all this. It is very strange that the shader manual does not tell anything about the differences between very close releases (2.5.11 and 2.5.16). If the q3map2 compiler changes that dramatically, mapping is going to be a hard guesssing game, most of the time, especially for those who do not compile continuously.

(obsidian) #10

Uhh… what?

2.5.16 has all the same functions and capabilities of earlier versions except with more additional features and bug fixes. If it works with earlier versions it will work with later versions, unless you are doing something else wrong.

Sounds like you’re taking a old metashader terrain and slapping on dotproduct2 and expecting it to work correctly. Socks tutorial on terrain blending takes entirely different techniques that you have to adapt to in order to get it to work as intended. It works better and easier in the long run.

The shader manual has a version number to it. It was written to everything up to 2.5.15. Again, there’s no reason to use anything other than the latest version of Q3Map2.

(sd2009) #11

Exactly, I am remixing an automatically generated shader and terrain by EasyGen and adding the new code as you suggested, since you told me that the EasyGen code is old. I am doing some parts manually and it works. But you gave me now the exact answer. I must study the Socks tutorial again. I thought that it works with a mixed method also. For this reason, q3map2 2.5.11 was writing in my log q3map_alphaMod method dotproduct2 unknown. I found it very strange, since the documentation (readme.txt) mentions it as early as in release 2.3.24 (2002-10-20). Thank you Obsidian a lot.