Good luck with Nexon

(tokamak) #21

Extraction is now absorbed (no pun intended) in a whole slew of cheap ****ty Nexon games. It’s painful to observe.

What Nexon does COMPLETELY wrong is that it puts itself, as a publisher on the foreground. In order to find any game you first need to pass through Nexon.

All other succesful F2P games. WoT, Hawken, Tribes, Smite, they all have the game on front and the publisher in the back. Any newcomer first gets to download the game, THEN signs up to the game and very discretely that account is also part of the publisher including all the games it may have.

Tribes and Smite are both part of Hi Rez studios but it’s hardly noticeable. And why should it be? They’re both entirely different games. Yet these two games are still more alike to each other than any of the games Nexon tries to shove down your throat alongside Extraction.

I mean, seriously WTF? I have no bloody clue what Dragon’s Nest is supposed to be. I never installed it. What the hell is it doing there?

This is the F2P equivalent of an STD.

And here I thought Activision was disastrous with the ETQW marketing.

(Anti) #22

[QUOTE=tokamak;483346]Extraction is now absorbed (no pun intended) in a whole slew of cheap ****ty Nexon games. It’s painful to observe.

What Nexon does COMPLETELY wrong is that it puts itself, as a publisher on the foreground. In order to find any game you first need to pass through Nexon.

All other succesful F2P games. WoT, Hawken, Tribes, Smite, they all have the game on front and the publisher in the back. Any newcomer first gets to download the game, THEN signs up to the game and very discretely that account is also part of the publisher including all the games it may have.

Tribes and Smite are both part of Hi Rez studios but it’s hardly noticeable. And why should it be? They’re both entirely different games. Yet these two games are still more alike to each other than any of the games Nexon tries to shove down your throat alongside Extraction.

I mean, seriously WTF? I have no bloody clue what Dragon’s Nest is supposed to be. I never installed it. What the hell is it doing there?

This is the F2P equivalent of an STD.

And here I thought Activision was disastrous with the ETQW marketing.[/QUOTE]

You have to bear in mind this launchers is new and in beta, the final visual treatment and flow is likely to be quite different. If anything the presentation will probably be more like Origin or Steam in the end, where you land on a page that discusses the available games and offers or go to a page of your own games.

(tokamak) #23

Okay that’s a bit of a relieve. Because trust me when I say I’m extremely tolerant and patient compared to the average F2P gamer.

This is the ideal procedure.

• Download the actual game
  • Set nick, mail and pass
  • Play

Anything that deviates from this, any added required action, any extra hurdle will lower the playerbase drastically. I’d almost go as far and say that you can simply half the playerbase every time you add an extra step. Yes, even setting your profile should be an afterthought. Hell, make people able to step right in through FB or Google plus. People simply give up that easily. This is not the same as retail games where players already invested money. You’re dealing with highly picky, sceptical and downright lazy people who will only invest the minimum amount of effort until you get them hooked.

Nobody is really looking for a new game to play. People only get hooked on something they almost accidentally tried.

If Nexon is required then so be it. But at least make it so that nexon installs AFTER you installed extraction. If only cosmetically, by name. Make it appear as if players are installing the ‘Extraction Launcher’ rather than ‘nexon’.

It’s such a simple but obvious culprit. It’s as if publishers forgot how Steam started. Nobody wanted Steam at first, it’s just that it came with the games and it installed itself alongside the game and it didn’t bother you in any way. If Valve actually adopted the same procedure many game-hubs have now then they would’ve fizzled out as fast as all the others.

It sounds as if I’m making a big deal out of something small but please don’t overestimate the attention span of your prospective customers.

(fubar) #24

I never understood that necessity of steam or origin, I absolutely hate either and genuinely see nothing in it but a nuisance and waste of resources. I can relate that some people like having a library of games instead of a multitude of shortcuts, or being able to quickly download/play/purchase through a shared portal, but even so, all of that can be provided without having a horrible, severely intrusive and obnoxious front-end for it.

Sorry, just ranting for no particular reason.

On that note, can we ever expect a way of bypassing or eliminating the need of using the nexon client/launcher, entirely? And just skipping/jumping right into the game, possibly so even with custom start parameters for xT? :stuck_out_tongue:

(tokamak) #25

Steam proves that once you get someone on a cloud platform, it’s very easy to sell them new products. That’s why all publishers want their own platform.

The mistake most of them make however is that they get so eager to shove platforms down the player’s throats before they have even played the game. No gamer wants a new platform. If it were up to us it would all be Steam and nothing else.

That’s why you need to trojan horse the new platform INSIDE the game rather than the game INSIDE the new platform. People want games, not platforms. If you’re a smart publisher you don’t even make it look like there’s a new platform until they finished their first match.

Don’t make them do anything but the bare minimum so they can play the game and only afterwards you say “Hope you liked the game, if you feel up to it, complete your profile, here’s some bonus coins if you do”.

If you want to be a succesful F2P publisher you need to have extremely deep empathy with your clients otherwise you’ll perish.

World of Tanks understood this and… voila:

Yes, that’s 45 million registered players.

“Oh but they’ve got a really accessible game concept”

Yes, there’s no way the new incarnation of Enemy ****ing Territory could ever come close to that…

(fubar) #26

[QUOTE=tokamak;483355]
World of Tanks understood this and… voila:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/world-of-tanks-tops-league-of-legends-with-45-million-players/[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I’d very much like to argue that the majority of sign-ups are after the huge announcement of prizemoney. I don’t doubt this game had players prior to that, or big fanbases, but a massive influx of users came from the fact that they’ve invested heavily into eSports.

(tokamak) #27

In 2012 they already had 25 million.

And more so than retail gaming, F2P snowball much faster. The more players you attract, the more players you attract. Everybody wants the next big thing.

Also, price money is not a bad idea.

(Nail) #28

Nexon does price money, but not prize money

(Rémy Cabresin) #29

I honestly don’t give a **** if their forums are working or not. I go there to post my feedback and never come there if I don’t have to?
I don’t care if they make a play2win public model, as long as the competitive side still stays in balance. You can buy all the mercs/perks/gunsights in the world if you want but if they are just as balanced as the free/unlockable ones what is the problem? Outside of that the only big issues is the servers, I still pray SD will come with dedicated server support at public release so that teams/clans can have their own private server on a hosting platform where they prefer it. For public servers I honestly don’t care because I barely ever go there and most of the time(or atleast as the game is atm) it so chaotic the lag isn’t the biggest problem :smiley:

(Ashog) #30

[QUOTE=adeto;483397]I honestly don’t give a **** if their forums are working or not. I go there to post my feedback and never come there if I don’t have to?
I don’t care if they make a play2win public model, as long as the competitive side still stays in balance. You can buy all the mercs/perks/gunsights in the world if you want but if they are just as balanced as the free/unlockable ones what is the problem? Outside of that the only big issues is the servers, I still pray SD will come with dedicated server support at public release so that teams/clans can have their own private server on a hosting platform where they prefer it. For public servers I honestly don’t care because I barely ever go there and most of the time(or atleast as the game is atm) it so chaotic the lag isn’t the biggest problem :D[/QUOTE]

So this or what?

//youtu.be/ulIOrQasR18

(Kl3ppy) #31

[QUOTE=adeto;483397]I honestly don’t give a **** if their forums are working or not. I go there to post my feedback and never come there if I don’t have to?
I don’t care if they make a play2win public model, as long as the competitive side still stays in balance. You can buy all the mercs/perks/gunsights in the world if you want but if they are just as balanced as the free/unlockable ones what is the problem? Outside of that the only big issues is the servers, I still pray SD will come with dedicated server support at public release so that teams/clans can have their own private server on a hosting platform where they prefer it. For public servers I honestly don’t care because I barely ever go there and most of the time(or atleast as the game is atm) it so chaotic the lag isn’t the biggest problem :D[/QUOTE]

Do you really think that the p2w wont affect comp games? ATM I think the difference between pub and comp will be that pub games will be objective mode, comp games will be stopwatch. The rest will be the same.

(fubar) #32

Actually, yes. I genuinely think, as long as we’re allowed dedicated servers and full server config/setting access… p2w will not affect us, at all. If things go badly or competitive scene dislikes the way SD/Nexon are going, they’ll just force a certain set of mercs without unlocks/attachments (or only X and Y) and games will be played as level 1s/0s. Which is exactly what SD doesn’t want, a split of communities. However, if p2w does occur, it’ll be unavoidable.

I highly doubt that. I’m pretty certain comp will have different cool downs, as well as restrictions in place that do not allow X amount of Y for Z period. Having 5 simultaneous airstrikes, molotovs, or arties or… whatever. Will not go, period. They’ll most certainly put a limit on the total availability of mines placed around the map too, most likely sticky grenades too (these are utterly abuseable and game destroying in the current implementation btw). And… random goess, no more than 1 nader per team/rpg/panzer(for whenever either gets released, and… similar characters). Also most certainly to adjust spawntimes, the current spawns do not work, at all. Also given the way antilag works right now, most likely will see that being disabled too. I’m also guessing different cvar restrictions as well as HUD elements. There’s hundreds of things right now that make this game unfit for competitive play, I could go on all day… But, we’ll see what the future holds.

(INF3RN0) #33

I really hope there’s absolutely never a reason to restrict anything for comp. This game needs to have a seamless transition between pub and comp for it to grow into anything more than an existing comp player’s “fall back”. So far I don’t find any warranted restrictions as much as people might complain about lame classes or weapons. I don’t like a lot of ways certain weapon types function for example, but they at least aren’t breaking the game. With all of the theory crafting on best setups though, I’d like to see it in reality first. I highly doubt it will ever be the case in an equal match up between higher skilled teams, but instead a reflection of what players find as the most consistent means of fragging a pub. I just hope that all mercs are designed with both comp and pub in mind because it would be best to have an equal marketing value across the board. Shotguns, Nader, etc all feel like cheap pub thrills by design atm- which isn’t good for the game imo.

(Kendle) #34

I’m pretty sure comp won’t have anything of the sort.

SD have repeatedly stated they want to balance the game for pub and comp play, they’ve even insisted the XP system (which I’m trying to pretend isn’t coming but of course is) won’t be disabled for comp. I highly doubt they’ll go to all the trouble of trying to balance everything, including XP, and then give us the tools to “balance” the game ourselves (and there most likely won’t be an SDK either so forget a community made comp mod).

And tbh I’m glad. ET most definately needed ETPro, and I was it’s biggest fan to begin with, but it became a monster. The “community” restricted everything down to the lowest common denominator of what they considered was and was not acceptable for comp, and the result was a bland 2-dimensional version of the original game. ETPro was great for doing what was necessary to make ET work in a competitive environment, but it gave too much power to too few people, and everything that someone didn’t like got thrown out, and the game lost it’s soul and its diversity along with it. I sincerely hope that doesn’t happen to XT.

(Protekt1) #35

I think comp would prove best to not have any restrictions, or as few as possible. SD has said they plan to support ranked ladders and stuff, hopefully similar to SC2/hearthstone etc. so I am really hoping they do this right and make it so that is the preferred ladder to play on. Tournaments and stuff will be available outside of the ladder still I assume.

(RasteRayzeR) #36

In the end, a gamer gets what he wants or leaves … I can’t blame the ones who leave, I just hope they will come back at some point and hopefully find a game they can enjoy.

I still believe this was too soon to go on beta, and I still don’t understand why the SD forums that work great are not in use for this. As for the rest of the issues, I’d say : “yes, again …”

I’ve not been around much because of my master sucking up every bits of my time, I hope I can get more time for XT during the holyday, provided there are still people to play with by then :confused:

(acekiller345) #37

[QUOTE=RasteRayzeR;483460]In the end, a gamer gets what he wants or leaves … I can’t blame the ones who leave, I just hope they will come back at some point and hopefully find a game they can enjoy.

I still believe this was too soon to go on beta, and I still don’t understand why the SD forums that work great are not in use for this. As for the rest of the issues, I’d say : “yes, again …”

I’ve not been around much because of my master sucking up every bits of my time, I hope I can get more time for XT during the holyday, provided there are still people to play with by then :confused:[/QUOTE]

At the rate that Nexon is getting things done (or, should I say not getting things done), I wouldnt think there will be a whole lot of people playing in a few months. SD, you kinda dropped the ball when it came to picking a Publisher… they don’t seem to give a crap about this game.

(Raviolay) #38

If I lived down under I would have asked for a refund by now, in fact I think SD/Nexon should offer something to alpha aussie player base by way of apology and give them a server FFS.

(prophett) #39

SD’s idea of competitive play won’t be ideal :confused:

I am with Fubar on some points. A team full of shotties with mines could be problematic (among other things).

(shaftz0r) #40

of course they will… do you think there wont be limits on how many airstrikes can go at once? or merc caps? cmon now.