Game Recommendations?

Hi again, beautiful people. I’m lookin’ for a new game to try and get into and I figured I’d drop this question here ‘cause I’m not much of a gamer anymore. Don’t really follow much and I’m not even sure if there’s a genre for what I want to find. I’ll just list some games I love and let y’all run with it from there. I think I’m pretty much looking for a shooter with MMO and RPG elements. A loot system, trading, collectibles, co-op or PvP multiplayer, maybe open world? Idk. Somethin’ that will keep me hooked for a long time. The original Borderlands is the best example I can think of, but I’m nearing 10k hours on it over the years and I know the game from the inside out. There’s nothing else I can do at this point.

Defiance and Planetside were cool, but too heavy on the MMO/RPG to keep me interested. I didn’t like Destiny, but something along those lines is probably what I’m aiming for. The Division and the new Player Unknown Battleground game looks good, but I don’t think they have a loot system that’ll keep me hooked. Hmm. What else? Maybe like a L4D or Killing Floor with more open world or collectible elements? Idk.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I’m open to whatever.

(TheStrangerous) #2

Shadow Warrior 2?
It became a lootfest, contrary to the prequel.
Of course it’s melee oriented for the most part, but you can still have fun using guns. It also has co-op.

@TheStrangerous said:
Shadow Warrior 2?

I just checked out some gameplay trailers and it looks awesome. Definitely a game I think I’d have fun playing and I’ll keep an eye open on sales, but does it have any replay value in the end? It seems like a once and done type of game. This ruined (well, not ruined but didn’t keep me playing) a lot of other games for me like Dishonered, Witcher, DOOM, Bulletstorm, Far Cry, the old Turok, the Metro games, RAGE, and so on. When I’m not playing a multiplayer shooter like DB or CoD4, I want that one game on the side I can always have stuff to do on for years. So far Borderlands is the only game I’ve got into that had that kind of lasting value.

(watsyurdeal) #4

Life is pretty fun, and it has some real benefits, the graphics are amazing, the women are so realistic, downside is that one life thing is a pretty harsh design choice. They really oughta buff that, that and my charisma and confidence take forever to level up.

(TheStrangerous) #5

@Wintergreen said:

@TheStrangerous said:
Shadow Warrior 2?

I just checked out some gameplay trailers and it looks awesome. Definitely a game I think I’d have fun playing and I’ll keep an eye open on sales, but does it have any replay value in the end? It seems like a once and done type of game. This ruined (well, not ruined but didn’t keep me playing) a lot of other games for me like Dishonered, Witcher, DOOM, Bulletstorm, Far Cry, the old Turok, the Metro games, RAGE, and so on. When I’m not playing a multiplayer shooter like DB or CoD4, I want that one game on the side I can always have stuff to do on for years. So far Borderlands is the only game I’ve got into that had that kind of lasting value.

It has NG+ and higher difficulty levels, and more loot and crafting, etc.

@watsyurdeal said:
Life is pretty fun, and it has some real benefits, the graphics are amazing, the women are so realistic, downside is that one life thing is a pretty harsh design choice. They really oughta buff that, that and my charisma and confidence take forever to level up.

Preaching to the choir here, man. It’s not always fun when you do concrete finishing 4 to 5 days a week and learn to weld on your off days, though. That’s why I don’t follow much with games anymore and limit myself to only a game or 2 at a time. A competitive multiplayer (DB for the past 2 years) and a time killer I can pick up whenever I’m bored and continue where I left off. That’s probably why games with collecting are the only things that stick to me anymore.

@TheStrangerous said:
It has NG+ and higher difficulty levels, and more loot and crafting, etc.

Saved in a wishlist! Thanks. 0% surprised a game recommendation from you had dual-wielding. :wink:

(watsyurdeal) #7

Well Destiny 2 is pretty chill like the first one, it’s not super complex, competitive, or anything like that. It’s just relaxing to play.

(henki000) #8

Have you played Fallouts already? I know it’s not multiplayer, but who knows what mods bring you in the future.

(AlbinMatt) #9

@henki000 said:
Have you played Fallouts already? I know it’s not multiplayer, but who knows what mods bring you in the future.

Too continue the modular train, XCOM 2 is always depressingly fun, and masochistically enthralling with the Long War mod. Word of warning, the War of the Chosen expansion made a lot of old mods unusable, as mpdmakers need to rewrite the codes to fit WotC’s needs.

(Ptiloui) #10

Warframe ?
Didn’t test the last update but I saw the announcement bringing the game into an “open world” system, and it looks pretty amazing. I guess it’s still a grind fest though (which made me stop playing, that and no friends of mine playing it)

Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys. Destiny and Warframe are similar to what I’m looking for, but I didn’t like the first Destiny and I wasn’t a fan of the third person in Warframe. I’ll definitely check it out again if it has gone open world and changed a lot, though. Already played and loved most of the Fallout series and that XCOM game looks good but not really my thing. So far @TheStrangerous wins the thread with the best suggestion. I’ve got Shadow Warrior 2 saved in my Steam wishlist now and just messin’ around on Paladins and DB a bit when I have time. Looks like a game I could get into a lot, but guess we’ll see.

This Shadow Warrior game reminds me of an old classic with guns and elements of loot goodies. Sort of seems like an id Software game, too. I dig that style.

(GatoCommodore) #12

games that i like (but probably wont fit to your taste)

Best Parkour game ive ever played

TF2 new update

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Shogun 2: Total War: Fall of the samurai DLC

@GatoCommodore said:

Dying Light actually seems pretty fun from I’ve seen.

(GatoCommodore) #14

@Wintergreen said:

@GatoCommodore said:

Dying Light actually seems pretty fun from I’ve seen.

very punishing early game but rewarding if you are brave enough to run around in night time

the following expansion is actually an expansion and not just a small DLC.

(Mr.Cuddlesworth) #15

When glancing at it, I read it as ‘‘Dying A Lot’’

(watsyurdeal) #16

Destiny 2 is super chill to play

(TitaniumRapture) #17

@Mr.Cuddlesworth said:

My version of Dirty Bomb is called like that.

(GatoCommodore) #18

@Mr.Cuddlesworth said:

in early play it does translate to dying a lot.
steep learning curve

(watsyurdeal) #19

So off the top of my head from this year

Cuphead - It’s like Contra and Megaman had a baby
Destiny 2 - First Person Looter, really chill game, just needs more endgame stuff
Wolfenstein 2 the New Colossus - It’s Wolfenstein, do I really need to say more?

From other years

Doom
Far Cry 3
Bioshock
Skyrim
Oblivion
Borderlands 2

That’s about it

I just realized I posted here twice…WHY CAN’T I DELETE MY OWN POSTS DAMMIT