For anyone who doesn't check reddit

(blufflord) #1

"Was originally thinking of doing this to a reply to one of the more recent threads, but thought it might be more constructive as a separate discussion. There’s a very specific thing that’s come up a few times that I want to publicly address: that we’re intentionally creating hard counters in the game.
We don’t view DB as a game of hard counters, and we’re not looking to change that; a better player should win most of the time. Both Javelin and Guardian have high impact abilities that will take a while to get tuned properly (more on that below), but they are mechanics that we’ve wanted to add to the game for years as they add levers to how you and we can manage the gameplay space. There will always be an ebb and flow and it will rarely suit everybody, but we’re going to keep trying to make the game better as a whole regardless.
From my POV, Javelin is still not where she needs to be. Making the first Merc in ages from scratch was a big challenge for our expanded team (we’ve more than tripled in size in 2017), and while they’ve done an awesome job overall, we need to get that last bit of fine tuning done to re-establish a healthy balance. We’re planning some more tweaks post-Guardian, and the biggest issue to address is adequately communicating that you’re about to have a close range rocket fired at your face.
Some might remember that we’ve been in the process of re-implementing our gameplay telemetry system entirely, and I’m pleased to say that the work is nearly finished. This is the biggest reason that you haven’t seen that many balance changes of late, and I completely agree that the lack of them has had a negative impact on the core game. It won’t allow us to fix it overnight, but we’ll at least have improved means to identify issues and tackle them one at a time.
And on a personal note, apologies that I haven’t been more active here. I’ve been Out of the Office 5 times in the last 6 weeks, but I’m all out of bubblegum/holiday/conferences now. :slight_smile: "

• Copied and pasted from thrmoptc’s comment.

Thought it would useful for non-redditers here to see.

EDIT BY EOX : you guys might want to check out the source. https://www.reddit.com/r/Dirtybomb/comments/75fpnv/guardian_javelin_balance/

(watsyurdeal) #2

I don’t doubt him, but that does say something about the counter play, where stuff like Turtle, Javelin, and Guardian feel like hard counters, or answers to common complaints.

(GatoCommodore) #3

@watsyurdeal said:
I don’t doubt him, but that does say something about the counter play, where stuff like Turtle, Javelin, and Guardian feel like hard counters, or answers to common complaints.

honestly when both javelin and turtle came out my friends found out that rushing at the enemies is more rewarding now since panic is a stuff of legend apparently

(TheStrangerous) #4

Or maybe make it so, that rocket’s damage increase over distance it flew, starting with a non lethal minimal?

(GatoCommodore) #5

@TheStrangerous said:
Or maybe make it so, that rocket’s damage increase over distance it flew, starting with a non lethal minimal?

now that you mention it,

it does sounds like a great idea
long range javelin strike can kill EV in one hit

but then you can abuse it by fly the rocket around in a circle and then drop it on medium/short range

(AlbinMatt) #6

@GatoCommodore said:

@TheStrangerous said:

now that you mention it,

it does sounds like a great idea
long range javelin strike can kill EV in one hit

but then you can abuse it by fly the rocket around in a circle and then drop it on medium/short range

Maybe just have the feature on the straight missile shot? Ah, who am I kidding. No way Javelin is straight

(Press E) #7

@TheStrangerous said:

Honestly my problem with javelin is that she can instagib mercs with no warning, either from around a corner or far away. This helps the corner issue more or less, but just intensifies the range issue. It’s not like shooting a rocket across the map into a window gives the enemy much ability to react.

(TheWickedsin) #8

@STARRYSOCK said:

@TheStrangerous said:

Honestly my problem with javelin is that she can instagib mercs with no warning, either from around a corner or far away. This helps the corner issue more or less, but just intensifies the range issue. It’s not like shooting a rocket across the map into a window gives the enemy much ability to react.

Not to mention the close range fire that kills you and not the Jav, when they are right On top of you. They countered this on Nader quite effectively, making the nades have to travel to arm or they flop and explode later
Thanks for posting this. I don’t reddit and it’s a shame there isn’t more dev talk here.

(neverplayseriou) #9

Well just SD’s ‘promising’ yearly speech.

(Eox) #10

I added the source thread to the OP.

I advise to all of you to check the comments in the source thread. Should give you more valuable information. They do seem aware of the lack of communication since a few month since they seemed extremely busy working on a new telemetry system.

(Ptiloui) #11

This telemetry system, is it the same as presented at first stage of Dirty Bomb development, which make them automatic feedback on where gunfights were concentrated so they can polish maps to add/remove routes ?

(Eox) #12

@Ptiloui said:
This telemetry system, is it the same as presented at first stage of Dirty Bomb development, which make them automatic feedback on where gunfights were concentrated so they can polish maps to add/remove routes ?

Yes.