Extreme stutter, DB unplayable [videos]

(pr0nflakes) #1

[xpost https://www.reddit.com/r/Dirtybomb/comments/5lmk7l/extreme_stutter_db_unplayable_videos/]

Hiya,

since spring last year I have extreme stutter while playing DB which is getting worse from update to update. Now it’s completly unplayable. Check the following short video to see what the problem is:

Now a longer version to show that the stutter is NOT situation related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiDFap1jWJY (edit: sound is getting out of sync after a while, sry)

Check the “stat fps” ouput on the right, frames drop from now to then to something in the 30fps and the to below 20 fps, gfx and sfx are stuttering extremly. Funny sidenote… my own weaponsounds are not affected in these moments!

CPU/GPU temps are fine, changed GFX-Card (R9 380X now) in the meantime. Tried to limit blackcipher.aes with Battle Encoder Shirase and other tools. Network itself is perfect. Nothing helped. All other games I’ve tried like the actual BF1 and CoD Infinte Warfare work perfectly out of the box.

I really need help to solve this prob, I’ve posted my prob here, on Nexon and Warchest forums several times. No solution until now. I can provide any needed information.

:frowning:

(K1X455) #2

It’s DPC stacking… Same problem with my Win10, i7-6700k, Radeon RX480, 32GB DDR4

Check this thread.

(pr0nflakes) #3

unfortunately limiting processes with bse does not help. Still the same issue.

(K1X455) #4

It’s the game. NetCode probably has a runaway code that has outlived its execution cycle beyond normal and the processor could no longer attend to the process that has lost its resources.

(pr0nflakes) #5

Tried everything posted on different forums, nothing helped. DB actually to me (and other guys who I play regulary together) is unplayable.

So, after 300h+ ingame it’s time to have a break as this problem is still not fixed since Spring 2016.

I am still open-minded to help to get this stutter fixed, maybe one of the next updates will fix it.

(K1X455) #6

The symptom appears to be gradually progressing throughout the match which is so similar to my case, however, your system is suffering longer bouts of lag than me and is able to recover far better than my setup. My fps drops can go as low as 0.4 frames per second and it is now known that it can crash the game entirely and even Windows10.

If you are able to sense it’s presence, have you tried normally exiting Dirty Bomb and starting it again to play? It’s what I do to get the stutter out, but i have to do it after every match which is extremely annoying.

(pr0nflakes) #7

Exactly. Behaviour like a memleak. The longer I play, the faster the stutter appears.

Not really. Reason is that I usually play together with 3-7 mates on server. And then it’s hard to quit and rejoin the same server again. Played yesterday on a DBNation Pug server, stutter starts, I quitted, could play for 3 mins after reconnect but then hell starts burning again.

To be honest I am a bit disappointed that noone of devs or community managers responded to our problem, neither here nor on reddit.

(K1X455) #8

I’ve had this problem since Summer Squash III.

Initially, I thought it was some sort of memory leak as well and later, I’ve identified it as DPC stacking. This is where I used basic Windows stuff to check what was going on. If you check the thread that I posted, I was able to track the favourable amount of DPC stacks my system can handle before I start noticing any audio or frame stutter. When the threshold is exceeded, it’s high time I wind down the game and stop/start it to continue playing. Do this a few times, and get infected with rage quitting losers, I get real salty real fast.

It just goes to show that neither NVidia or ATI graphic cards are immune to the problem in DPC handling and is not firmware dependent either. I got other games that are displaying DPC stacking issues, but the symptoms only show after about 10 hours straight. Dirty Bomb is an exceptionally good at breaking the threshold to the point that it can crash Win10.

(pr0nflakes) #9

As we are posting this in “Technical Support”… why there is no technical support by staff?

(pr0nflakes) #10

Did a fresh and clean install of Win7 today, updates and drivers up to date. Just installed Steam and DB. Had a test game, same stutter in in the second match.

Nexon, c’mon… why don’t we, having this prob, get no response in this case? Is this chicken-company deal already so progressed that you don’t care about this game anymore?

(K1X455) #11

You should try getting support from Warchest Forums of Splash Damage. It’s not entirely a NEXON problem.

(henki000) #12

Have you tried to limit blackcipher.aes and dirty bomb processes affinity to separate core? (assuming you have 4 cores or more…) Perhaps some other third party software is causing your problem?

quote: If a program is not designed to run on parallel cores, you can have routines within the application that are designed to run sequentially running at the same time. This can cause all sorts of issues (like if 2 routines use the same memory block but are not meant to run at the same time).

(LIGHT_BAGHEERA) #13

@K1X455 said:
I’ve had this problem since Summer Squash III.

Initially, I thought it was some sort of memory leak as well and later, I’ve identified it as DPC stacking. This is where I used basic Windows stuff to check what was going on. If you check the thread that I posted, I was able to track the favourable amount of DPC stacks my system can handle before I start noticing any audio or frame stutter. When the threshold is exceeded, it’s high time I wind down the game and stop/start it to continue playing. Do this a few times, and get infected with rage quitting losers, I get real salty real fast.

It just goes to show that neither NVidia or ATI graphic cards are immune to the problem in DPC handling and is not firmware dependent either. I got other games that are displaying DPC stacking issues, but the symptoms only show after about 10 hours straight. Dirty Bomb is an exceptionally good at breaking the threshold to the point that it can crash Win10.

Can you link me the post of yours, the one you mentioned, I’m having a huge stuttering as well, frames are dropping to below 20…
Any help is much appreciated

(K1X455) #14

The only thing I do to suppress further build up of DPC/ISR stacks is to restart every match. Simply close Dirty Bomb normally as you would and start it again in Steam. It should tell the OS that whatever handles the DPC/ISR stack should be freed of the resource handle.