Execution mode feedback

(intricateWorkshop) #21

i agree with this post

(Glot) #22

on a serious note:
i hope the effort and time put in this map will not be in vain. and this interesting layout will appear in Stopwatch mode. It will be appretiated there, trust me.

(Ardez1) #23

Thoughts on the Execution mode:

When I played I did 3 rounds in a row in a teamspeak server. Myself and two others were on the same team(so 3 of the seven players). By utilizing in game voice we were able to help direct our team to follow the same route and always be pushing against the enemy. The opposing team usually had 1-2 vassili and a pile of medics. I think I only saw 1 proxy, but not for long. Bushwhacker also seemed to be fairly common on the enemy team.

This game mode definitely favors being a medic, but that is where ANY of the assault or fire support classes can make a huge difference. We also ended up switching classes fairly often to counter something the enemy team did the previous round if we noticed it was being a problem. With the heavy open air map it made the play -> counterplay -> counterplay system fairly easy to take advantage of, in particular with 9 additional rounds to work on team comp in. The maps also felt like it had a good use for Arty, which is rare.

The vassili definitely did some work when they were able to get headshots, but that is fairly easy to avoid if you juke and take advantage of superjumping/walljumping. All you need to do is trigger a bodyshot death to get a chance at being revived. Completely dodging the sniper isn’t always possible. Teamwork is key to rooting out an entrenched enemy and communication is even more important than in Obj or Stopwatch. Plenty of times at chokepoints we got flanked or flanked the enemy to trigger a round victory.

We ended up winning 2 of the three full matches that we played. The loss was a fairly close 6-4 that we almost pulled to a draw.

The timer seemed like a good amount of time to attack with and I think that cutting it shorter might significantly help the defenses chances of winning.

I am concerned with the C4 nature of the round ending on a single defuse, as that doesn’t feel like DB to me and stinks an awful lot like CS:GO. Why was the decision to end the game after a defuse made? I feel like at that point it would require some skill to pull off an additional defuse with the remaining time. If a defending team gets the defuse then the game is probably a lost cause for the attacking team anyways. I don’t see why it should be cut short if the attacking team has even a single player remaining though, as they may have the skill to pull off another plant or kill the enemy team. It just doesn’t seem like a fair mechanic in a game like DB to instantly end the game because 2 skyhammers lit up an area and their bushwhacker speed defused or something. I think that that will need to be looked at again.

Overall I felt the game mode was fair and a lot of fun. During the matches I played I didn’t run into the other issues that players are reporting to have seen. Saying that Vassilis headshots are too strong or that medic trains with Fragger are OP is a facile argument that you are sure to lose. As mentioned - Explosions beat medics. Smart movement can beat a Vassili(or a good counter Vassili). Speaking of counters, everything has a counter! The best part is that you have NINE more matches to come up with a solution and win!

(Szakalot) #24

I think the mode is great when teams know what they are doing (read: stick together)A 7v7 battle with both teams being very protective of their lives makes for a whole new experience, that in DB Obj becomes an instant clusterfuck.

There is a problem in how people are revived: if you kill 3 opponents, and help up your downed teammates, it becomes an obvious snowball; and comeback opportunities are very scarce. Imo, to avoid snowballz becoming a problem the game-time should be dropped - at most 2 min.

Otherwise, regenerating after each battle like some RTS single-player campaign is too viable of a strategy. Having less time will put to question ’ do we have enough time to help-up eveyrone, or do we have to push NOW?

Instagib weapons are insanely powerful so expect fragger&vassili squads.

Nader cancels medic trains nicely with nade spam, longing for Stoker to come back to do the same!

(riptide) #25

I really don’t have much to say about the mode other than 7v7 is too much. It should be 5v5 or 6v6. No more than one specific merc per team. Obviously we need a few more mercs before this can be a thing though. Also it should have FF on

Just wanted to add; There’s a UI bug when spectating other players. You do not see their cooldown/abilities only your own.

(Ribero) #26

I would be particularly interested in trying Execution Mode with Friendly Fire enabled.

(MissMurder) #27

Appreciate all the thoughts. Keep 'em coming!

(powi_) #28

things i’d change to:
2 mins round time
no instagib kills
only some merc can plant OR making a physical bomb to plant

it was discussed before that the attacker team will probably be overpowered, so maybe limit revive abilities for them somehow.

but anywas so far i enjoyed this game mode, the “stronger” team basically always won.

However to see if its really working, we need to make a competitive enviroment for it and we will see the balancing issues immediately.

(DadoPeja) #29

Played a game where i was defender 1st, we lost all 5 rounds changed to att and then we won all 5 rounds - Atackers are to easy !

(Szakalot) #30

people don’t know how to play, map is too big, and defending requires more communication.

So far the best strategy I’ve seen is moving together as a 7-player protoss ball, mowing people as they come. This is easier on attackers cause you have a clear goal ‘lets go left, lets go right’. Defence most optimal strategy to counter this meta is to take the 2 high vantage buildings with windows, and rotate as soon as they see enemy charging one of the chokes. Mistake people make is by trying to ‘cover’ all the various entrances, opening themselves up to quick kill&gib.

(Humbug) #31

people don’t know how to play, map is too big, and defending requires more communication.

So far the best strategy I’ve seen is moving together as a 7-player protoss ball, mowing people as they come. This is easier on attackers cause you have a clear goal ‘lets go left, lets go right’. Defence most optimal strategy to counter this meta is to take the 2 high vantage buildings with windows, and rotate as soon as they see enemy charging one of the chokes. Mistake people make is by trying to ‘cover’ all the various entrances, opening themselves up to quick kill&gib.[/quote]

Maybe it would be nice to have some kind of map in the 10second warmup, where players can indicate where they want to go!

I don’t like the mode, but well I’m an ET player :smiley: .
The map is good though.

(Szakalot) #32

I like the idea but tbh all you need is people that want to use VOIP

(joshingPlank) #33

Since it’s a prototype of course it’s going to be a little unbalanced, but in a refined state this mode will be the mode that makes the game actually competitive. After talking to a bunch of friends and other twitch users we’ve all pretty much agreed that a “Search and Destroy” game type is what people like to watch. None of us wanted to sit around and watch someone die kill kill die kill die die kill kill. Viewers like to watch strategy and communication, not people running to their death constantly.

Since joining this game 3 days ago and only playing execution I’ve convinced 10+ friends to do that Alienware CBT key giveaway thing and download the game. Sadly since I work graveyards I haven’t had time to play with them but we’re looking forward to execution returning and hoping that more competitive players notice the game.

If you want to know how much I’m enjoying the game mode I’ve spent almost all my credits on opening boxes (lvl1-7 + starter pack 35k) and have only gotten 1 silver loadout. Usually when it comes to me being that unlucky I usually rage quit and never look back, but the gameplay is good enough to keep me here.

I started off with skyhammer for the first couple levels and then switched to Aura for attacking and Proxy for defending. Skyhammer is probably one of my favorite classes because you can play support, clear a building up ahead with no roof, and can move around while accurately “hip firing” his primary. To me he seems like a decently balanced merc for this mode.

The only thing I think that needs a little changing for proxy is her defuse timer. I’ve been able to defuse the c4 under the enemies noses a lot because it’s so quick. Instead of being able to quickly defuse it I propose a reduction to her defuse time but make her slow down the detonation timer to compensate. She’d still be faster than non engineers but it would be less OP (IMO). Because of her speed I’ve been able to literally run through the enemy team and not be noticed. I think it might have to do with her somewhat lack of red coloring while being opposed against her. When another rushing proxy and I meet face to face I always shoot and ask questions later because up close it’s hard for me to tell if she’s an enemy or not.

For Aura (I think I got the name right) the only thing I’d change about her is her ability to pick up the health station and seconds later be able to put it back down. For her I’d suggest the CD not start until you disarm your previous health station. Instead of picking it up you’d do the “press Q to deactivate” from anywhere followed by a 5-10 second cool down depending on the last time you placed one down. I’ve been able to easily dodge my HS getting blown up by just picking it up and switching to a more secure spot. Because of her speed it also makes it very easy to take advantage of it.

For competitive games explosive classes is never a good idea because of all the randomness involved. Skyhammer is an exception because there’s a flare exploding and loud planes telling you to gtfo that spot and get under a roof. I think I’ve been killed by his airstrike once and that was because I risked it and tried to out run it.

All n all you guys are doing a great job and I can’t wait/hope for you guys to bring execution mode back. I’ve tried the other modes but I’ll probably only be doing them to get my dailies out of the way. Thanks and keep up the good work! (Btw idk why I love the untextured map style it just feels so nice)

(ZGToRRent) #34

MOBA’s, Quake 3/QL works this way so it’s nothing bad in spawning system. It gives more dynamic to gameplay. Personally I hate watching boring CS:GO matches where You need to wait 90 seconds to see some action. I feel like You don’t want to try something new and fresh but only copy other popular games ideas because devs put a lot of money to bring their games to the biggest e-sports events.

Proxy is easy to kill, she has low amount of HP so attackers are noobs if they can’t kill her when she is trying to defuse. Bushwacker also has faster defuse and he is bigger problem than proxy because he has deployable turret and more HP.

(Jan S.) #35

I’m really enjoying this mode, it’s faster and improved CS.
Don’t have anything special to improve, really. I’m not the technical type, and If I enjoy something, I can’t find any cons to it :smiley:

(Blu666) #36
  • no double mercs
  • enable spectator cam as soon as joining the server
  • warmup
  • FF on
  • 1 bomb
  • limit revives and medpacks (for DB in general)

(shallakh) #37

[quote=“Wolven;17036”][quote=“ToRRent;16977”]Regarding roof

Anyone tried to jump? I always failed.[/quote]

I managed to do it a few times, so it is possible, but it’s not easy. Here’s a clip of the jump performed with Proxy.

[/quote]

you also can go up stairs run on the fence, the one that is on your right and just jump at the end of it.

(Lupusanghren) #38

Even if the game mode is only on beta, I’ve really enjoy this mods. Even is the mod need mercs restriction and live restriction, i like it. Coz when u have a good team (Ts would Be great with this mod) and anyone play his role, this great.
For play his role i mean ingenneer plant c4, healer heal and revive and the other protect and kill
I want a lot that this mods can Be play in normal and competitive version
So enjoy !

(splendidAnemone) #39

So for this mode, personally as a bad player i didnt enjoy this mode. I didnt enjoy it because to put it perfectly simply i spent a good 50% of the time playing dead on the ground.
I may be a bad player but at least in objective and stopwatch i can “feel” like im being productive by rushing a plant, in this mode because im not that good an aim i just cannot feel useful, and because i spend a good 50% of the time doing nothing there is nothing to encourage me to get better by playing it.
It may be this mode is very good for balanced teams of experienced players using communication, but how often does that actually happen.
Also finally i assume in order to make money on this, there has to be some interest in attracting new players over time, i fail to see how this mode would apeal to any new player.