ET performance

(dfusion) #21

stop deviating off the subject, the point is I have a new pc an it still wont run et with decent fps… pointless bringing out a game that needs more than any current system can perform… :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

From what i hear the original wolf was extremely tweakable… all im asking is if the devs will release a performance config…

(DG) #22

r_fastsky 1
cg_wolfparticles 0
cg_atmosphericaffects 0
cg_shadows 0
cg_marktime 0
cg_brasstime 0
r_drawSun 0
r_detailtextures 0
r_colorbits 16
r_texturebits 16
r_picmip 1 to 3
cg_showblood 0
r_dynamiclight 0
r_flares 0

er, forgotten what gives the “lego” effect like the screen above :o

(k1ll3r) #23

r_rmse limited to 0 is a problem for me too. I don’t see what’s wrong with it till the tree leaves etc start going away and they don’t with 75. And i get extra 30 FPS by using r_rmse 75 and no choppy gameplay…

(kyleb) #24

no, he is talking about wost case senerio, like all the way in the back of the axis side of radar and looking across the whole map.

(WolfWings) #25

r_texturemode GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST

The above command, BTW, has never gained any FPS in any test I’ve run on any of the following:

ANY GeForce 2 or above
ANY Radeon 7000 or above
ANY Kyro
ANY Matrox G200 or above

r_texturemode GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST

THIS command can gain FPS for some cards, but any modern card will gain no performance from this setting. It’s commonly referred to as Bilinear Filtering.

r_texturemode GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR

This is the standard ‘Trilinear’ filtering option. Anything except Voodoo-based video cards should run in this setting, ESPECIALLY if you have compressed textures enabled, which you do by default unless you specifically disable them.

(WolfWings) #26

If you copied your config from RTCW, it would already have that set. ET changed something from RTCW and Q3A in that r_primitives defaults to 1 instead of 0 now.

(twiFight) #27

I have never changed the value and r_primitives is set to 0 here also.
never played RTCW in my life.

(kyleb) #28

nope, default in et is 0. it says so in console when you enter the command.

(ExPLiCiT) #29

what it comes down to is once again games are exceeding the hardware, its just time for the hardware sector to catch up. hopefully soon before half-life 2 comes out, i will be getting at least a 3.2 gig for that.

(twiFight) #30

By the way, you don’t have a laptop do you?!
cos a friend of mine got a laptop (at Aldi for dutch & german people) which has a P4 2,6 ghz and Geforce 4 something, but he can’t even play Quake 3 cos the hardware is regular desktop hardware and not mobile, so it generates massive heat with the result that it has to cool down so the laptop starts running slower, resulting in 15 frames per second in a normal game of quake.

(uglok) #31

I just upgraded to Windows 2000 from ME (ugh) and now my FPS in Enemy Territory is cut in half. No other game is like that for me; now I get 20 fps best while moving around and even less in combat.

I have a p4 1.8ghz, GF4 Ti4200 128mb, 512mb ram.

I’ve had to switch to full time panzer because my accuracy sucks beyond belief with this fps cut. Likewise the fps cut has dropped my accuracy in half.

I have the most recent drivers and every other game I have works fine, so I guess it’s splash damage’s fault. my q3f framerate sucks too :stuck_out_tongue:

(Freedom[]Tickler) #32

Uglok, did you do a clean format upgrade or let 2k install over WinME, b/c win2k shld not run a game slower at all, so something is wrong there.

dfusion, is your 2.6 P4 a 533 FSB w/ DDR333 RAM? Depending on which P4 mainboard chipset you have could affect your FPS by a good 20 on average. Did you build the PC or buy it prebuilt, Im just curious which mobo you have and what speed RAM.

I have an nforce2 w/ 1.7 gig OCd to 2.23x333FSB- w/ a g3ti500 that gives me min 40 FPS in worst case situations, but spikes up to 250 in hallways.

ET and RTCW are modified quake3 Team Arena engine based game, not vanilla q3 engine. Team Arena ran like a dog too, just part of the sacrifice of tweaking the engine to work w/ large outdoor maps.

I didnt vote in the poll b/c I disagree w/ your wording. If you play on PB servers, alot of speed tweaks in CFG may be disallowed. Those options are tweaked by server admins, which moots an SD written speed CFG. I also do not believe it is possible to CFG tweak this game to run an avg of 20fps faster.

What would be interesting is to know the system specs of SD guys and what settings they preferred. Id be willing to bet most SD guys arent running the latest greatest hardware, coders are fussy about stability - very quirky I think : )

(uglok) #33

I let win2k install over ME, but like I said, every other game runs the same or better. I will reinstall ET later, but from the looks of it I’m not going to be getting a large performance gain. A few people here have better setups than me and are getting the same or equal FPS.

(Awol) #34

Ugg you upgraded ME to W2K. thats the problem MS has never managed to make an upgrade work correctly. I suggest you make a backup of all the stuff you want then do a format and then install W2K. You will notice alot of speed increase in many areas.

As for you getting back FPS your setup is close to mine and the lowest FPS I get is on Radar and thats 40

2Ghz P4
512 MB ram
Geforce4 Ti42000 with 64 MB of ram

Also check your video drivers to make sure AA isn’t on sometimes it is on by default.

(twiFight) #35

Doing a clean install instead of an upgrade is always the better option.
Not only will games run better/faster but also your whole pc will run better after a clean install. And put SP4 on when you’re at it, it will bring your pc uptodate in a few seconds…

I used to have win98 on my pc and never really had the need to upgrade. Untill I once was bored and installed win2k. It was the best damn choice i made (with pcs) in my whole life.