ET: Legacy

(VS.wArRi0r) #161

Thank you :slight_smile: Will tell it to Monkey & Borg

(Shownie) #162

About trackbase: I know that feature. At least I think. Sounds much like the TSP which can be used on servers right now by using a app of some sort.
Yes, could be good to make that part of ET:L :slight_smile:

(morsik) #163

@Shownie: yeah, just problem of new tracking system is that Trackbase bot must connect to server (which takes 1 slot). With our implementation server will send to TB information about kills/deaths etc. So there won’t be any problem with connecting. This is still in “designing” phase but we have proof-of-concept that almost works.

(cheesy) #164

What does this mean for server owners hosting 2.55 servers?

(Radegast) #165

There was a discussion about allowing 2.55 clients to connect to ET:L servers and Sol has done it in his previous project ETeng. If we eventually allow this then 2.55 clients will get spammed like there’s no tomorrow with something like “WARNING: you are using an outdated client, please go to www.etlegacy.com and download a newer version!”

(please do not start a flame about 2.55 vs 2.60b vs 2.70)

(cheesy) #166

[QUOTE=Radegast;398877] “WARNING: you are using an outdated client, please go to www.etlegacy.com and download a newer version!”
[/QUOTE]
Ah like NoQuarter did in previous versions.

[QUOTE=Radegast;398877] (please do not start a flame about 2.55 vs 2.60b vs 2.70)
[/QUOTE]
ha, no worries. its just good to know who is trying to drop support for 2.55. debating apples and oranges is pointless.

Some humble suggestions to Dev team:

1. It would be nice to see the warning indicator not installed, if 2.55 is supported. Somebody will just get motivated to start another mod or equalone type project to support 2.55 clients (40% of the community)
  2. For the love of God, please compile linux with glibc 2.3 so that gameservers.com can use the mod. Otherwise this will become a Europe-only mod.
    Compiling in the latest glibc version does not take into account major game hosts that use older glibc.

(morsik) #167

You can always compile it by yourself (:

glibc is kind of problem and linux download is just for preview on page.
For release we’ll do builds for some distros. At least Debian, Fedora and ArchLinux (those we know and use). And maybe ebuild for gentoo and standalone build script.
If you want, we can even setup package repo for that - that’s no problem - just about 50M to 100M for distros.

(Gir) #168

The ET Source Code Release is version 2.60c, and not 2.55, that is why its not possible.

any possibility to fix up “r_smp” for windows platforms

(Dushan) #169

I believe that its version 2.60d

(Radegast) #170

Yea, I can backport SMP support. It’s certainly better if it is there fixed than if it is there broken, but I am not sure about the benefits. Dushan thinks it is useful, but the ioquake people think it is useless (remember we are talking here about an improved version of a Quake3-based game, not ET:Xreal). In fact, this is what the lead ioquake developer had to say about it:

Edit: ehm, I know ET:Xreal is also a Quake3-based game, but I hope you get my point

(Gir) #171

[QUOTE=Radegast;398992]Yea, I can backport SMP support. It’s certainly better if it is there fixed than if it is there broken, but I am not sure about the benefits. Dushan thinks it is useful, but the ioquake people think it is useless (remember we are talking here about an improved version of a Quake3-based game, not ET:Xreal). In fact, this is what the lead ioquake developer had to say about it:

Edit: ehm, I know ET:Xreal is also a Quake3-based game, but I hope you get my point[/QUOTE]

If adding mutli-core support, its w might benefit by putting the Renderer on its own thread,

I noticed SDL gets rid of the ET Console ? i really don’t see the benefit of SDL, its also slower on Windows platforms, i would rather see true xinput/xaudio2

(Dushan) #172

[QUOTE=Gir;399000]If adding mutli-core support, its w might benefit by putting the Renderer on its own thread,

I noticed SDL gets rid of the ET Console ? i really don’t see the benefit of SDL, its also slower on Windows platforms, i would rather see true xinput/xaudio2[/QUOTE]

XInput is for using Xbox 360 joypad. I have ET Windows console along with SDL system. And I used SDL just to make it more other platforms friendly without too much coding :slight_smile:

(morsik) #173

@Gir: slower on Windows? Why you think so?
Writing input system from scratch is long time to get it working perfectly…

(NovaPrime) #174

what exactly is preventing etpro to work?

(Mateos) #175

I think ETPro checks the ET.exe?

(Radegast) #176

When I asked the iowolfet people about ETPro they told me it just won’t work so I haven’t even tried. Then I heard ETPro does some nasty memory checks like Mateos said, but after playing with it for a while I think I am getting somewhere. I’ll take a closer look at it next month.

There was an idea of gathering as many people as we can from the modding community and creating ETLPro mod which would aim to mimic ETPro as closely as possible and it may come to that if I fail to make ETPro compatible. We’ll see.

(zbzero) #177

That is the best news i read in many years, go for it guys i have sure people will love it!!! Keep the good work with that!!!

(Mateos) #178

You can maybe contact ETPro author to see if he wants to adapt his mod to ETL :slight_smile:

(NovaPrime) #179

What? ETpro rise from the dead? That will ne news!

(zbzero) #180

Sorry Mateos but people have already tried to contact bani before but i think he never answer :frowning: