ET keeps crashing.

(buttrot) #21

same %#%$# problem here server list has between 6 and 20 servers listed and they show up slowly.ack!!

(DarkMatrix) #22

The funny part is as soon as I clicked this topic to view it, that exact second I get a warning that my ET.exe froze, and it shut’s down…

(h0nd) #23

My ET crashes constantly too :frowning:

(Ragnar_40k) #24

I guess the slowness is because alot of servers are filtered out for some reason.
And my ET keeps crashing too, maybe 9 out of 10 times when I refresh the server list in any way (e.g. by clicking “Play Online” or changing the server filter). Is this a problem with the master server? But on the other hand I have no problems with Pathfinder :confused: .

(HammifeR) #25

Ladies n gentlemen, ET has left the building.

(ArCaNeZeEm) #26

ya same here et is fucked up thats why i use pathfinder get it its the savior:)

(Blood^Lust) #27

Has anyone actually figured out a fix or what the problem is for this?? it’s obviously something wrong with the master server’s end since we are all dying on the listing screen. everyone posted that it’s happeneing but any lead so far??

(Lekdevil.NL) #28

I did some checking just yet. First of all, the crash occurs with the PB client disabled as well, so I doubt it’s a PB issue.

I captured the network traffic to and from the client. I noticed that the “getservers” request to etmaster.idsoftware.com yielded 61 “getserversResponse” reply packets. Each having a payload of 810 bytes, each packet contains the adresses of 112 servers. So, a total of 61*112=6832 server addresses are returned. That’s a lot.

Apart from the first couple of getinfo/infoResponse exchanges to various game servers and a number of ICMP unreachables, no other network traffic was detected.

Could this be a client buffer overflow issue? Are there more server addresses received from the master than the client can handle? Rain, are you digging trough that engine source yet? :slight_smile:

(Grimmy_EFG) #29

I think it can handle a lot more than 6000 odd… Quake 3 used to have 10000’s and I’m sure RTCW had over 8000 at its peak… However it could be a buffer overflow in some of the information returned by one/some of the servers?

(SupaDupaNerd) #30

Yeah ET has recently been biting the pillow for me too unfortunately. :disgust: Everytime looking at the server browser, crash crash crash. I hadn’t changed anything… and i tried uninstalling and then re-installing ET and it did not help. >:(

(Rain) #31

Well that’s interesting… I’m only getting 1008 here, but sure enough, I get numbers in the 6000 range elsewhere (no wonder there are so many empty servers. :eek3:) Regardless, ET’s in-game browser has an upper limit of 2048, so I think that any problems related only to the sheer number of servers would have manifested themselves long ago.

…and now I need to figure out why my NAT box is eating the additional replies!

Yay, it’s not. My connection sucks and the getservers protocol sucks; the extra packets are being dropped outright.

[moreedit]
Okay, fkfen sent me a couple of post-apocalypse copies of servercache.dat, and sure enough, entry 2049 is corrupt in both. :banghead: I couldn’t tell you why this is just now starting to be a problem, though…

[moreedit]
Found the problem. Only occurs when more than 4096 servers are returned from the master. No workaround yet.

(Fusen) #32

no reply from any of the SD team yet?

(-Fl!nT-) #33

folk use ingame browser ? woa, ase innit.

(]UBC[ McNite) #34

Well I m glad you guys are already hunting down the bug…

I m just amazed that such things or new progs are launched into use at weekends… when its clear that in case of bugs and crashes everything will be fucked up for at least 2 days… and a lot of players get pissed a damn lot. Its not what I d like as public relations for my company :smiley:

Whoever is responsible for this deserves to get his fingers broken… all 10 of them… with a hammer preferably :bash: … so he ll never ever again be able to use a keyboard and produce such crap… :smiley:

(J-Inaria2) #35

I m just amazed that such things or new progs are launched into use at weekends… when its clear that in case of bugs and crashes everything will be fucked up for at least 2 days… and a lot of players get pissed a damn lot.

What he said---- :rocker: To crash every ET players computer world wide for two days, has to be so kind of damm record. I’m thinking “Online gamings BUG of the year award.”

(puubert) #36

Just found this from here http://enemy-territory.4players.de:1041/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=311

Master Server down

Because of the master server being down, there will be no or not many servers in the ingame browser.

We suggest reading this article in our HELP section to find a solution for your problem: No Serverlist? Click here!

Basically we suggest you installing the AllSeeingEye or other programs, that do not need the master server for finding game servers.

Rumors are already spreading through the community, but there is no explanation yet what is really causing the problem with the master server.
Either it is a problem with the new ETPro 3.0.0 or 3.0.1 (which in my opinion is highly unlikely), attacks on the master server itself or a general hardware problem over at Splashdamage.

Whatever the reason for this problem is, we hope it will be fixed soon!

(TFate) #37

Luckily I can still play ET because I stored my favorite IP addresses on a shiny peace of parchment. Load up ET real fast and click “connect to IP.” It doesn’t seem to crash when I am connecting to an IP. I hope it’s just a problem with the master server and not some sort of bug…

(Rain) #38

These things actually aren’t the same problem. The master server (which is maintained by Id, fwiw) died earlier today (HDD failure.) The crash is due to the master server working too well–if more than 4096 servers are returned, your ET a splode.

Several people have had this occur in etmain as well. We might be able to work around it in etpro, not sure yet.

(Lekdevil.NL) #39

But that would require people to start ET with +set fs_game etpro, right? Otherwise the client-side etpro pk3 won’t be active and neither would the fix (correct me if I’m wrong).

(Rain) #40

Correct. There’s no apparent way to work around it in etmain.