DOOM 3 beta patch is out!!

([DS]Method) #1

Robert Duffy updated his .plan today talking about the beta patch for DOOM 3. He said that the patch fixes some MP and game stability bugs and that the final patch, SDK and DOOM 3 Demo should be available shortly. I read through the list of fixed bugs, but couldn’t find anything related to D3Radiant :frowning:

Method

(Aphax) #2

Looks like there’s no fix for demo recording either :eek2:

([DS]Method) #3

Let’s hope the final patch will fix the rest.

Method

(swelt) #4

I can’t see anything for custom maps on pure servers either (except something in the localisation section). This being the issue where a player requires all the custom maps that are on a given server, whether those maps are active or not. I guess I’ll download and test the beta, but if this isn’t fixed I’ll be very disappointed :frowning:

(Salteh) #5

Did doom3 remove cl_allowdownload 0:?? or does it just… not work as sexy as it does in Q3A / ET ? :o

(UniKorn) #6

If the server has maps a->f and is runnig map b, you need to download map a->f to play map b. At least that’s what I understand from swelt’s post.

(swelt) #7

That’s correct. I’ve mailed Robert Duffy (since he posted the .plan)

Hi Robert

I’m sure you must get a ton of mail, so I’ll try to keep this fairly brief.

I make custom maps for MultiPlayer. I’ve made a bunch for Q3 and I’ve made a couple now for Doom3. I hope that you are aware that there is currently an issue with the way that Doom3 pure servers handle custom content: if the server has a pk4, the client must have it too. This seems to happen regardless of the content of the pk4 and whether the map is in the base directory or in a mod directory specified by fs_game.

sending challenge to localhost:27666
received challenge response 2749539 from localhost:27666
sending connect to localhost:27666 with challenge 2749539
Can’t connect to the pure server at localhost:27666:
Missing 5 media pak files: 0x2b75d071 0x62aa40ed 0x574af730 0x619bbafc 0xb36e2324
--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------

I was very disappointed to find that this issue has not been addressed in the new patch. I’ve done testing on my machine (local dedicated server w/custom pk4, local client without) and confirmed that the problem still
exists. It’s always a challenge to get maps onto servers for people to play on the internet. This issue, if unresolved, is a nail in the coffin for 99% of custom mappers chances for getting their maps onto servers and played.

Can you advise if this is on the agenda to fix, or if there is a workaround we can use (without compromising sv_pure).

I greatly appreciate your time. I’m a huge fan of iD software - not just the games which I’ve grown up with but especially the level of support you provide to mod communities, support of open standards and such.

(Wils) #8

It’s actually si_pure and id software (not iD), but I’m sure he won’t mind too much :slight_smile:

We were having some issues with the fraglimit - game’s keep ending after 1 frag, regardless of what it’s set to on the server - anyone else having the same problem?

(swelt) #9

Sadly I had noone to play with :frowning: Perhaps if you are mentioning that to id you can mention the problem of custom maps? :wink:

ps. iD is an old habit, I’m sure I’m not alone!

(wviperw) #10

Looks like some pretty relatively big changes to multiplayer:

• Bumped damage up on rocket jumping in multiplayer
  • Decreased damage from chaingun to 25 in multiplayer
  • Exploding barrels to full damage to attacker in multiplayer
  • Increased height for falling damage in multiplayer
  • Made r_skipNewAmbient, r_skipSpecular, r_skipBump, and r_shadows cheat protected
  • Made g_fov modifiable in mutiplayer from 90 to 110

Though I’m not too ecstatic about those gfx settings being cheat protected. That essentially means, anyone who does not have a current generation vid card has little chance of competing in match play, since they’ll now be getting <40fps.

Also, what is that whole “localization” section about? I guess I didn’t understand its functionality.

(digibob) #11

Localisation jsut refers to the translation of the game into languages other than english.

r_skipbump/specular shouldn’t affect your frame rate at all either really, as they just bind different ( flat ) textures instead of the normal ones for those materials, they don’t actually skip any processing.

(def46) #12

Barrel frags, yessss !! :slight_smile: I hope they really meant ‘exploding things’ and not ‘exploding barrels’ … i.e. the canisters (carboy? fire extinguisher thingies)

(swelt) #13

r_skipNewAmbient and r_shadows are big framerate killers tho… Difficult situation because they both have a huge effect on visibility too. It isn’t ‘fair’ for one player to have them on, another to have them off.

(megaman) #14

yay, also nice is that you cant install the patch if you changed os and saved your d3 install.

this and the anooying copy protection (no i wont wait half a minute before the game even starts…! (or the editor for that matter)) makes mebelieve activision has much more to say inthese regards than is good for the game.

could anybody zip the exe and the new pak and upload it somewhere?

(zeh) #15

I’ve seen id employees typind “iD” time and time again on .plan updates, so yeah, I am sure you’re not alone. :slight_smile:

(swelt) #16

It turns out that with the 1.05 beta, getting custom maps to work is a real bitch! doom3euro are running a small tourney on swd3dm1 and 2, but have had nightmares trying to get them to work. Now it seems that, not only do all clients need all pk4s, but the server admin has to edit their mapcycle.scriptcfg to include those maps.

Here is an example modified script, thanks to Kuula. http://digerati.ukgamer.net/mapcycle.scriptcfg

I really hope they sort out the custom map vs pure server issues, or mapping for MP is going to be a waste of time.

(Dev/Null) #17

Ouch!

Yeah, if id wants Doom 3 to even be around a year from now, they’d better get working on this. Sure, D3DM may not be the fanciest thing around, but if id’s counting on lots and lots of mods, the engine needs to have good netcode to begin with. Where would Counter-Strike (for example) be today if the underlying Half-Life engine (based off of Quake I) didn’t like custom maps?

sigh Too bad there’s so many problems. I really like mapping for D3!

(wviperw) #18

Swelt: Any response back yet from Robert Duffy?

(swelt) #19

Nope.