Dome: Behind the Rework

(hawkeyeguy99) #21

@auwi said:

@hawkeyeguy99 said:

@auwi said:
its just the focus area has been moved so there’s only one main route to focus on

That’s my problem. It all comes down to one single route. That’s easy to defend and it’s just like every other stinking map in Dirty Bomb. On the old Dome the defenders had to be smart with how they spread out because you have to keep an eye on two routes because if you shut down one route, that means the other is open. It creates a beautiful balance and tension for defense and attack. This is in contrast to every other map in the game where it’s just whoever can brute force their way through the other team to push their lines forward. It’s an opposite tug of war every match. Which is fine, don’t get me wrong I love the game, but it was nice to have a map that required THOUGHT to defend instead of just, “shoot straight ahead because that’s the only place enemies will be coming from”.

I understand you like the two routes idea, as running around alot that seemed to be the map’s style, 2 main routes with lots of flanks. The problem is this splits up teams naturally, leading to all the fighting moving around way too much, it’s really not fun from a defenders standpoint. You really want a map that naturally brings teams together, especially in DB.

The rework still has flanks, as I’m pointing out, there’s just one main route so the fighting feels more centralized.

As one of the devs said, they’re striving to balance what some was and what will be. Those far sided flanks on the first objective means the defenders will still be stuck around it. I’m not sure if the attackers spawn area will be camp-proof.

Totally see your point. Agree to disagree tho. I found the spaced out fights to be that much more tense and fun because there were higher stakes. If you died, you didn’t have 4 other team members right there to back you up. You had to be careful and smart with your play style, more so than other maps in my opinion.

(znuund) #22

I have to admit that I liked the run from last spawn defenders to the AA-gun. I kind a always took the far right path to make some nice jumps. But the time you had to spend on this journey to defuse the bomb was cumbersome and useless. It felt always that you don’t have a way to defuse once you have to respawn. Also it is so easy to cover the dyna from various points with good cover, but at least you are faster there now.

So I do like that the running distances have shortened.

(The Enema Bandit) #23

Cool. I understand your reasoning and I think that’s a good rework. Thanks!

Since we’re talking map reworks,
Execution maps are not bad, they could be chained and made into an Objective map.

(watsyurdeal) #24

@hawkeyeguy99 said:

@auwi said:
its just the focus area has been moved so there’s only one main route to focus on

That’s my problem. It all comes down to one single route. That’s easy to defend and it’s just like every other stinking map in Dirty Bomb. On the old Dome the defenders had to be smart with how they spread out because you have to keep an eye on two routes because if you shut down one route, that means the other is open. It creates a beautiful balance and tension for defense and attack. This is in contrast to every other map in the game where it’s just whoever can brute force their way through the other team to push their lines forward. It’s an opposite tug of war every match. Which is fine, don’t get me wrong I love the game, but it was nice to have a map that required THOUGHT to defend instead of just, “shoot straight ahead because that’s the only place enemies will be coming from”.

Look at arguably the most famously designed map of all time: Dust 2. (yeah i know, CS:GO reference, totally different game and gameplay but hear me out)

But look, it’s not linear. You have to defend BOTH A + B and not just A. How boring would it be if it was reduced to just A plus a few flanks? It’s not half as interesting if you don’t have options. All I’m saying is more options is better and that’s why I liked Dome so much.

It’s also not the same type of mode, for the gameplay Dirty Bomb has the maps have to be somewhat linear to allow a more easy, natural progression from one objective to the next.

(Xenithos) #25

Personally, I loved Gallery hands-down more than Dome, because you still had all of those tight packed areas, but you had SOOO many flank routes, but since they were always able to be stopped as a DETONATION rather than a delivery it never suffered.