Do you ever watch video games as movies?

(TheStrangerous) #1

In other words, watch entire playthroughs/cutscenes on youtube/streams?

Heck, in my case it has to be MGS series.
The only one I’ve ever played was Snake Eater on PS2, and the demo of MGR, which gameplay didn’t captivate me. Funny how much I know about MGS’s convoluted story and lore, through review and walkthrough vids, and admire MGR’s OST, despite not playing them at all. :lol:

Even did that with Infamous Second Son and Uncharted 4, cause I was curious where the story went, since I’ve dropped consoles, in favor of more pro-consumer platform called PC.

Surely, I’ll do the same thing, once Rockstar drops their overhyped sandbox, set in the wild west. Just to see how much I’m not gonna regret buying a console. :tongue:
P.S. Westworld Season 2 is coming anyway, so I already gonna have my western fix anyway.

(GatoCommodore) #2

Games are better than movies Imo
its more interactive and provides you with minimum 10+ hours of entertainment

the closest game to movie for me is Witcher series and VA11-Hall-A

(maybe because its a VN)

(TheStrangerous) #3

@GatoCommodore said:
Games are better than movies Imo
its more interactive and provides you with minimum 10+ hours of entertainment

the closest game to movie for me is Witcher series and VA11-Hall-A

(maybe because its a VN)

Ironically them big budget games tries too hard to be like movies (Buzzword: “CINEMATIC”), which makes them worse… :worried:

No wonder movies based on games suck, due to lack of ludonarrative portion… Unless it’s Wreck it Ralph.

(Ptiloui) #4

I watched the MGS movie too made from ingame cinematic and it was quite good. Of course it doesn’t have the depth of a real movie but it was entertaining.

Another thing i found and which i find awesome :

It is not a movie from a game but a movie made IN the game. The full Terminator movie remade in GTA V engine. It lacks some scene but it’s really fun to watch if you’re a fan :slight_smile:

(TheStrangerous) #5

Oh that’s right! Games like Gmod, Sims and TheMovies can create magnificent machiminas!

(Mr.Cuddlesworth) #6

I like it when people create their own little movies.

(bgyoshi) #7

Nope

For me:
I play

• Games

I watch

• Movies

I read

• Books

I hate it when:
I play

• Movies
  • Books

I watch

• Games
  • Books

I read

• Games
  • Movies

Obviously a good single player game will have a plot and lore, but when the amount of watching cutscenes and reading lore is more than 25% of the time I spent in the game, it’s too much and I ignore it.

After a few years of ripping through single player games in 10 hours or less and being disappointed in how short they are, I just stopped playing them. Of course, the natural response was “WELL YOU DIDN’T PLAY IT ALL”

Au contraire, I started the game, I played all of the essential content. Bonus content/side-quests don’t count.