DirtyCups.gg Closes Its Doors

(Ardez1) #21

@singular How was DirtyCups the only opportunity? It was just the first. It was run primarily by players who hadn’t run anything of it’s scale before. They learned some lessons from the experience I hope.

Progress can be made when the game is ready for competitive. They started too early. Give the game time to mature, then try and make a space for itself. It isn’t even released yet.

(efficientCookie) #22

The destruction of the competitive scene is only a stepping stone, cheaters won’t just suddenly become civilized and stop hacking. Unless something is done about this, and soon or at least were shown some VERY solid evidence of whats being done to fix the problem, then the casual side of the game will be ruined and the game will die completely.

(Ardez1) #23

I am a huge proponent of transparency in game development and I would love for more information to be released publicly about the incoming changes, but for the time being that information is being kept under wraps. Please be assured when I say that this is a huge priority for development, as has been stated many times. Right now what we need is patience. Change is coming as soon as possible.

(Volcano) #24

still waiting for those changes for a few years now

(L3thalGho5t) #25

Wow really coffeeBusiness… dont look at the pic!!!

(Sinee) #26

I saw that. :smiley:

(Ghosthree3) #27

Lold. Why so small though?

(Sinee) #28

(efficientCookie) #29

I am a huge proponent of transparency in game development and I would love for more information to be released publicly about the incoming changes, but for the time being that information is being kept under wraps. Please be assured when I say that this is a huge priority for development, as has been stated many times. Right now what we need is patience. Change is coming as soon as possible.[/quote]

I can definitely understand why Splash Damage would want to keep information about an anti-cheat system under wraps, whats worrying me and I think many people is that since we’ve been provided with next to no information about this system, many of us are starting to doubt if its even anywhere close to completion, or what many people are fearing, whether it was really being seriously developed at all.

(singular) #30

[quote=“Ardez;62066”]@singular How was DirtyCups the only opportunity? It was just the first. It was run primarily by players who hadn’t run anything of it’s scale before. They learned some lessons from the experience I hope.

Progress can be made when the game is ready for competitive. They started too early. Give the game time to mature, then try and make a space for itself. It isn’t even released yet.
[/quote]

Maybe not one and only, but it was the only thing piece of evidence to justify DB’s competitive scene at this moment.

(Yes) #31

Oh. :disappointed:

(D'@athi) #32

At least you tried to build-up something. Thank you.

(Pogo) #33

Bummed out my Twitch subscription for supporting a comp scene hasn’t helped out, hopefully this can be a wake up call for both Splash Damage and Nexon to make a new assessment for what is good for Dirty Bomb in the long run.

I think it’s also pretty silly at best to tell anyone to “sit back and relax” after the only grassroots competitive scene for a new game unexpectedly closes. If anything, the people upset with SD should be voicing their concerns over the game turning less competitive, not waiting for private dedicated servers.
What an insane suggestion, seriously.

(Sinee) #34

[quote=“Pogo;62089”]I think it’s also pretty silly at best to tell anyone to “sit back and relax” after the only grassroots competitive scene for a new game unexpectedly closes. If anything, the people upset with SD should be voicing their concerns over the game turning less competitive, not waiting for private dedicated servers.
What an insane suggestion, seriously. [/quote]This.
It doesn’t matter if DB is in beta. It’s open on Steam and I think it’d be silly to think SD doesn’t want their product to be considered seriously as a contender for the FPS comp scene.

(Ardez1) #35

Let me put it like this then. The message from Oen was EXTREMELY vague about what their reasoning was for ending Dirty Cups. They also left some hope for the future in their message saying that the event may resume within the month. Take this for what it actually it. A third party group that made a commitment to the community to host an event, only to indefinitely suspend it without giving any specific reasoning. Only some mysterious message from Oen saying “there are clear changes that need to be made which the developers & publishers are fully aware of”

BTW, That message from Oen has been edited by Sagan on Roids. Sagan on Roids edit: We will be bringing back bi-weekly tournaments soon with new management. Stay tuned for more information :slight_smile:

So with this information it seems like Oen is the one with the issues, as Dirty Cups will continue to host events. If the issues with DB were as serious as the original message stated, why would they be hosting any events at all?

(Kroad) #36

[quote=“Ardez;62091”]
So with this information it seems like Oen is the one with the issues, as Dirty Cups will continue to host events. If the issues with DB were as serious as the original message stated, why would they be hosting any events at all?[/quote]

you’re crazy if you think no AC isn’t a serious issue when the game has CASH MONEY PRIZES, practically no reason not to cheat when only thing catching people is player eyes

(Pogo) #37

Agreed Ardez, I don’t think Oen should be vague. I do think with recent controversy around an awful anti-cheat and Nexon’s awful obsession/contract with Xigncode, combined with the recent graphic config locks, the answer is pretty clear.

Either way, I do think Oen should be more open about why he closed it and allow for a discussion between the supporters of dirty cups, Splash Damage, and the rest of the community.

(Ardez1) #38

[quote=“singular;62051”]http://i.imgur.com/wXWI9jQ.png
[/quote]

Just saw this. This image is slightly misleading, because at the same time as the case login event was Markiplier uploading a video about Dirty Bomb to youtube. For those who don’t know Markiplier is a youtube personality that has millions of subscribers. The type of crowd youtubers like that generally attract tend to jump games which means they were falsely inflated numbers to begin with. The case event coincidentally happened at the same time.

(Sinee) #39

@Ardez Well, Lumfish was much more candid than Oen on Reddit.

“This is heartbreaking and incredible sad. As many of you know my support, passion, and love for both Dirty Bomb and Dirty Cups has been boundless, however it has finally come to an end. Splash Damage has sadly made too many mistakes, too quickly, without acting on any input from us, the competitive community.
I have met so many amazing people in this community, and have made some of the dearest online friends in any game I have ever played. I look forward to playing with you all in the next game in the next league ;)”
-source

So…

(L3thalGho5t) #40

we have gone from 11k users to 6k in 2 weeks.