DIRTY BOMB UPDATE: Version 14502

(Senethro) #41

I’m ignoring camden because its way too soon.

[QUOTE=shirosae;413981]Pre-patch Waterloo almost always had defence camping the room next to the wall objective, camping the room above the wall objective, and trying to hold the hotel room thingy across the courtyard from the objective, and usually the top of the subway station. The latter two were less campy than the former 'cause of the alternate routes in.

It’s much better now, because you can’t just pin people running out in the open down so easily.[/quote]
Oh come on dude, in a static attack/defend objective without the mobile EV, what do you expect to happen? It doesn’t matter if they manage to get a good personal frag ratio by camping as long as the objective isn’t made uncappable by camping.

Most EU players are sitting on 20-70 ping. The Americans are running 150-300 ish. Human reflex time is 200-250 on average.

Yeah, kind of my point. Its a stretch to say that fights are over faster than latency.

This has been happening. The sound of the first shot comes with incap. At the time I was kinda assuming that some guns had 100hp+ damage on a headshot, but it seems more likely that it was this cause it was always the laggier players, and it was happening sometimes through walls that I’d just ducked behind.

I think that if firefights are so short that the game’s antilag sometimes can’t keep up, it might be a problem worth looking at. Even if - shock horror - the result is slightly more ET-like.

This has never happened to me, but sometimes its nearly felt like it happened because of heartbeat sensors and pre-aiming. Are you quite sure this isn’t a rare situation where your opponent has a high level awareness of you and unexpectedly kills you fast? Or even two opponents firing simultaneously? Or simply that someone dropped a packet.

(shirosae) #42

It is too soon; the map is unbalanced. It does illustrate the problem with turrets and first-to-shoot stuff, though.

Look, you said the game wasn’t campy. It was. I realise why it was. I even think it was sometimes justified that it was campy. The fact that sometimes being campy is justified doesn’t make it not campy. Campy is still campy, even if it’s justifiably campy.

I thought the game was overly campy, and that some campy was there because moving was such a risk. I didn’t say that the game should have no campy, just that it should have less campy, because some campy was only there because people stop moving when they got hit. Campy.

What I expect to happen is what’s happening now that the movement-impedance-on-hit has gone - people are willing to defend further out, and patrol rather than sitting in rooms waiting. It’s much better now. It was campy, it is now less campy. I’d even go so far as to say that the game is approaching optimum campiness.

Well, what I said was that the some fights with players with higher ping were over faster than latency. Given that, it’s literally true? Guns can shoot enough bullets to get headshots in less time than 200 ms.

Whitechapel, just after the last patch. I’m on defence, trying to hold the high tower in the second last open area behind the construction site. I take a single bullet from someone and die. One bullet sound, and as it plays I fall over. There’s no delay or anything, I just hear one bullet, see one screenshake, and get incapped all at the same time. There were no covops on either team.

As I say, at the time I thought SD had tweaked headshot damage, so I didn’t pay much attention to who it was. Most of the other team was American I think, 200-ish ping. It happened about ten times during that match, and then again during Waterloo.

(SinDonor) #43

[QUOTE=shirosae;413987]
Whitechapel, just after the last patch. I’m on defence, trying to hold the high tower in the second last open area behind the construction site. I take a single bullet from someone and die. One bullet sound, and as it plays I fall over. There’s no delay or anything, I just hear one bullet, see one screenshake, and get incapped all at the same time. There were no covops on either team.

As I say, at the time I thought SD had tweaked headshot damage, so I didn’t pay much attention to who it was. Most of the other team was American I think, 200-ish ping. It happened about ten times during that match, and then again during Waterloo.[/QUOTE]

On the flip side, last night I was hearing the headshot damage effect multiple time while I prayed and sprayed, yet my target survived and usually killed me. So, I dunno what weapon you were killed with, but I was maining the medic, engie, and support last night and this issue happened a lot for me.

Maybe I was just shooting off their ears.