Developer Insights - Credit Earn Rate

(Chris Mullins) #1

Credit Earn Rate
There’s a few things to bear in mind when it comes to Credit earnings, things that we don’t (yet) communicate properly in-game:

[list][] The base credit earn rate is 12/min (it is less if a server has fewer than 10 players)
[
] Completing a match and losing (spent the most time on losing team) gives you a +10% bonus to earnings
[] Completing a match and winning (spent the most time on winning team) gives you a +30% bonus
[
] Completing a match and having the highest XP on the server gives you a +20% bonus and this linearly scales across the entire server:

[list][] The player at the bottom gets +0%
[
]The player in the middle gets +10% etc…[/list]
[*] Ranked plays gives a flat 2x multiplier to the base rate[/list]
So the ‘average’ player who wins/loses 50/50 and comes middle of the table will be getting +30% bonus (additive +20% for winning/losing and +10% for getting middling XP) to the base rate on average, bringing the earning rate to 15.6/min. A player who wins and comes top of the server, will be getting 18/min. Translate that to Ranked play and it becomes 31.2/min on average and 36/min at peak.

Credit Booster Breakdown

Ever curious about how many Credit you can earn from Credit Boosters? Here is a brakdown for both Casual and Ranked play.

In Casual play:

[list][] 3-hour booster will give you 2,808 extra credits on average (3,240 at max)
[
] 6-hour booster will give you 5,616 extra credits on average (6,480 at max)
[] 12-hour booster will give you 11,232 extra credits on average (12,960 at max)
[
] 18-hour booster will give you 16,848 extra credits on average (19,440 at max)[/list]
In Ranked play:

[list][] 3-hour booster will give you 5,616 extra credits on average (6,480 at max)
[
] 6-hour booster will give you 11,232 extra credits on average (12,960 at max)
[] 12-hour booster will give you 22,464 extra credits on average (25,920 at max)
[
] 18-hour booster will give you 33,696 extra credits on average (38,880 at max)[/list]

Match Size Penalty

This system has been around since the start, it simply hasn’t been properly shown in-game yet and that’s something we need to fix before we officially release.

The ‘Match Size’ penalty is intended to prevent players from farming in small groups and kicking players who join in. It’s only for less than 10 players, and it works by modifying the base rate for the duration that the server is below that number:

[list][] 8-9 players = base rate of 10/min (-2)
[
] 6-7 players = base rate of 8/min (-4)
[] 4-5 player = base rate of 6/min (-6)
[
] 2-3 player = base rate of 4/min (-8)
[*] 1 player = base rate of 2/min (-10)[/list]
There’s also a ‘Team Imbalance’ to try and get players to swap to the smaller team. The penalty for the larger team there is:

[list][] A team with +2 players gets 11/min (-1)
[
] A team with +3 players gets 10/min (-2)
[] A team with +4 players gets 9/min (-3)
[
] A team with +5 players (or more) gets 8/min (-4)[/list]

(MarsRover) #2

One of the biggest DB mysteries finally explained. Thanks! :smiley:

(Orivar) #3

I don’t need credits anymore. Thanks for explaining anyways o:)

(nokiII) #4

Read this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dirtybomb/comments/4v1wm5/what_are_summer/d5vozul

If you want to get even more insight on how the credit earn rate works.

(Chris Mullins) #5

[quote=“hypnotoad;197728”]Read this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dirtybomb/comments/4v1wm5/what_are_summer/d5vozul

If you want to get even more insight on how the credit earn rate works.[/quote]

Taken some of Smooths extra info and added it to the OP :slight_smile:

(Tanker_Ray) #6

NOICE.

(MisterBadmin) #7

NUMBERS.

I love numbers. <3

(Vexed) #8

[quote=“stayfreshshoe;31734”]There’s also a ‘Team Imbalance’ to try and get players to swap to the smaller team. The penalty for the larger team there is:

[list][] A team with +2 players gets 11/min (-1)
[
] A team with +3 players gets 10/min (-2)
[] A team with +4 players gets 9/min (-3)
[
] A team with +5 players (or more) gets 8/min (-4)[/list][/quote]

This is the first I’ve heard of this, and it reminds me of the line in Dr Strangelove about how “the whole point of a doomsday device is lost if you keep it a secret!” Good to know!

(The_N00Ba) #9

That’s cool to know. thanks Shoe.

(DB Genome editor) #10

@stayfreshshoe any reason why these details are not explicit in the end-game report? As @Vexed pointed out, hidden penalties are not much of an incentive. But having having a line in red in your credits summary saying “Low player count penalty: -xxx” for instance would be hard to miss…

Also, it seems to me like the penalties for unbalanced teams are not harsh enough. For instance, a 3 men advantage costs you about -17% of your XP/min, but pretty much guarantees you a win, thus a +20% difference on your game completion bonus and most likely a better ranking in the overall XP as well. I certainly don’t see any incentive to switch to the disadvantaged team there… Make it more obvious when teams are unbalanced and then you can start cranking up those penalties to a level where they are actually punishing.

(perkyCab) #11

There’s also a ‘Team Imbalance’ to try and get players to swap to the smaller team. The penalty for the larger team there is:
A team with +2 players gets 11/min (-1)
A team with +3 players gets 10/min (-2)
A team with +4 players gets 9/min (-3)
A team with +5 players (or more) gets 8/min (-4)

Is this calculated on an interval basis or only at the end of the game? It would be unfair if it’s the latter if the people on the opposing team rage quit like 1 minute before game ends.

(DB Genome editor) #12

[quote=“perkyCab;197948”]

A team with +2 players gets 11/min (-1)
A team with +3 players gets 10/min (-2)
A team with +4 players gets 9/min (-3)
A team with +5 players (or more) gets 8/min (-4)

Is this calculated on an interval basis or only at the end of the game? It would be unfair if it’s the latter if the people on the opposing team rage quit like 1 minute before game ends.[/quote]

Since it is quoted as a “per min” penalty rather than an overall or percentage one, pretty good odds that it applies only during the period of the imbalance. It’s much easier to do “as you go”.

(ArsonistCow) #13

For anybody curious about the efficiency of boosters (with the new prices) compared to other items in the store, have a look at this one:

TL;DR: Boosters are great value IN RANKED, but awful value outside of that.

(bgyoshi) #14

Game win credits as an incentive to balance teams is an awful idea. Why do I care that I’ll get 170 credits instead of 250 credits when I’m about to get 1500 - 3000 credits for completing my missions? Missions earn money, not playing.

Team balance is just a core concept that should be enforced, not something that needs to be incentivized. Auto-balance the lowest scoring player with over 100xp to the other team when ever teams are imbalanced by two (4v6, 5v7, 6v8) in casual only.

(PorkyPerson) #15

[quote=“MidnightButterSweats;198349”]Game win credits as an incentive to balance teams is an awful idea. Why do I care that I’ll get 170 credits instead of 250 credits when I’m about to get 1500 - 3000 credits for completing my missions? Missions earn money, not playing.

Team balance is just a core concept that should be enforced, not something that needs to be incentivized. Auto-balance the lowest scoring player with over 100xp to the other team when ever teams are imbalanced by two (4v6, 5v7, 6v8) in casual only.[/quote]

Yes, autobalance. Yes.

Vote balance never works. Last time it was 4v8 and the other team just joked about how of course they wouldn’t vote for it. They’re still going to complete their missions and get 80-90% of the prize, because missions >> match reward.

(PorkyPerson) #16

I’d say the last to join, but pretty much the same thing. If they got an AFK, they could just kick them and it would balance again.

Another option would be to only respawn up to the number of the other team +1. Anyone above +1 would just stay dead until they switched or someone else died.

(SirMurder) #17

@stayfreshshoe Hey shoe, it says “brakdown” instead of breakdown, just letting you know man.

(Grave_Knight) #18

Oh, okay. Honestly I had no idea this system was in place, just figured everyone earned the same amount of credits throughout the game. Never really felt restricted by it, maybe back at level 1 when I didn’t understand the system (but that was back before Nader was even a thing…not counting CBT experience).

(FireWorks) #19

Bringing it up for someone who asked ingame. shameless bumpin

(K1X455) #20

shamless bump… make steeky