DB Feature 'Road Map'

(Kendle) #21

Nice list, and glad to see this kind of thing posted, it saves us all arguing for things that are planned anyway just not happening yet.

Only comments I’d make :-

• You “balance” ammo stations by not having them. All ammo should come from the Field Op. I hate that you don’t need your team-mates in this game. You get ammo from dead bodies and health by just hiding in a corner for a bit, why have F/Ops and Medics if you’re going to do this?

• I don’t like the idea of “_te” versions of maps, what I would like is a different version for SW compared to Obj. Just have fewer objectives for SW and chop off big chunks of the map with walls like you do for TDM. i.e. treat TDM, SW and Obj as 3 separate game modes, rather than SW being simply Obj played twice with teams swapping between rounds.

(Anti) #22

[QUOTE=Kendle;433413]

• You “balance” ammo stations by not having them. All ammo should come from the Field Op. I hate that you don’t need your team-mates in this game. You get ammo from dead bodies and health by just hiding in a corner for a bit, why have F/Ops and Medics if you’re going to do this?[/quote]

We’re discussing removing ammo from gibbed corpses. Only ammo methods would be from Fire Support class and Ammo stations in the level, these ammo stations will need to be a little way from the front line (unlike the way some behave now), as an ineffective replacement for when your team insists on not having at Fire Support :frowning:

[QUOTE=Kendle;433413]

• I don’t like the idea of “_te” versions of maps, what I would like is a different version for SW compared to Obj. Just have fewer objectives for SW and chop off big chunks of the map with walls like you do for TDM. i.e. treat TDM, SW and Obj as 3 separate game modes, rather than SW being simply Obj played twice with teams swapping between rounds.[/QUOTE]

Maintaining map variants for different modes is very time consuming. In TDM it’s relatively easy as map balance and timing is not critical like it is in Obj. and Stopwatch. Our goal right now is, aside from spawn timers, to try and get map flows that work the same in both SW and Obj.

(Ruben0s) #23

It’s a great list but one the most important parts for me is missing. The anti-cheat system.

Any idea when we get some information about the “anti-cheat”?

(Kendle) #24

And when your team doesn’t have an Engie? Do you leave a few spare C4 charges lying around for some other class to pick up and use?

Sometimes I think you go too far trying to accomodate bad / inexperienced players, you certainly did in Brink. Give us a bit more credit. Most people, on joining a server, will look to see what classes are needed and choose accordingly. And if you come across a server where this isn’t the case just go somewhere else.

Most people, given the opportunity, will play the game the right way. By allowing them not to you’re only encouraging bad behaviour.

(Kl3ppy) #25

[QUOTE=Ruben0s;433416]It’s a great list but one the most important parts for me is missing. The anti-cheat system.

Any idea when we get some information about the “anti-cheat”?[/QUOTE]

That is an important part on my side too.

[QUOTE=Kendle;433420]And when your team doesn’t have an Engie? Do you leave a few spare C4 charges lying around for some other class to pick up and use?

Sometimes I think you go too far trying to accomodate bad / inexperienced players, you certainly did in Brink. Give us a bit more credit. Most people, on joining a server, will look to see what classes are needed and choose accordingly. And if you come across a server where this isn’t the case just go somewhere else.

Most people, given the opportunity, will play the game the right way. By allowing them not to you’re only encouraging bad behaviour.[/QUOTE]

+1

(papa519) #26

like the sounds of the list :slight_smile: looking forward to these!

(Dormamu) #27

+1 To what Kendel said, you can always implement a training ground for za noobs thru challenges, coop play, movement curses, aiming target practice and so on. This way you care about za noobs, you give them the tools to improve without imposing some “be gentle with them” rule on your game. :smiley:
As a side note and not related to FPS, Demon’s Soul success was because DS had to strip down all of your bad habits implemented by other rpg game developers,all of the holding hands, and the false accomplishment, it was so very, very hard, that game will take you thru a gruelling experience until you learned to be disciplined. :smiley:

(Winnie) #28

Nice news! thanks… we can wait quietly

(Anti) #29

[QUOTE=Kendle;433420]And when your team doesn’t have an Engie? Do you leave a few spare C4 charges lying around for some other class to pick up and use?

Most people, given the opportunity, will play the game the right way. By allowing them not to you’re only encouraging bad behaviour.[/QUOTE]

I give ‘you guys’ credit, but I also have stats that show there are plenty of other FPS players that give up early if they’re struggling. If we can ease their experience for even a tiny bit longer than we do now, without ruining the core game, then we can make sure the game has a really healthy community.

One problem with Brink was that we didn’t maintain that core experience in the pursuit of some of the accessibility, a closed alpha helps us avoid that same mistake on DB.

(Ruben0s) #30

Why don’t you make it a server side options. With ET I have this option as well and most public servers have it enabled, because the majority loves it (I’m sorry kendle, go on a random public server and if you kill a fieldops you will get 5 ammo packs, or if you kill a medic you get 5 health packs).

(SockDog) #31

They want a consistent experience and I think, for now at least, they’re trying to avoid branching DB into two separate games. Perhaps one of the game modes will be a mutator mode where you have a variety of options to select but we really need to ask if we want to have a totally spattered experience that individual groups like or a more consistent one.

Simple. Co-Op Horde mode with objectives to complete rather than simply surviving waves. Such a mode would allow you to teach players the fundamentals, learn about reliance on their team mates and it would be a lot of fun. Granted, despite existing maps being usable I’d expect everything else would take some considerable work.

A bit OT here bit I find that it’s incredibly hard to know what stage the game is in when joining a server. More often than not I’ll pick Medic or Engie then swap once I get a better feel for what the team needs. If this can be conveyed in the limbo menu then it may help alleviate people just default spawning into an overused class.

(potty200) #32

Why don’t you make it a server side options. With ET I have this option as well and most public servers have it enabled, because the majority loves it (I’m sorry kendle, go on a random public server and if you kill a fieldops you will get 5 ammo packs, or if you kill a medic you get 5 health packs).

Then every server becomes completely different. For new players it would suck so bad! Look at how some servers have double jump… faster weapons and many MANY other awful settings. If I was a new player and all these options were being used, I probably wouldn’t come back too often.

(Evil-Doer) #33

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome. What else can I say but AWESOME!

(DeTh) #34

All of these are good news !

(Kendle) #35

You’re probably right. Whilst I wonder sometimes how RTCW survived without these noob-friendly features I guess it was just that at the time there were fewer choices, COD hadn’t reared it’s ugly head and Battlefield was still a year away.

If you’re not willing to make F/Ops the sole source of ammo then ammo racks as opposed to ammo drop is the lesser of 2 evils, IMO. :slight_smile:

(Evil-Doer) #36

I’m extremely excited about Clan Systems, Matchmaking, an the Tournament and Ladder System. I really think this is what keeps people coming back for more…time an time again when it comes to the competitive mindset type players. People that strive for competition just feed off these types of features. I guarantee you guys have your numbers an such, but man am I excited about these types of features, that make it easy to go into game an hop right into competition type playing.

Also, very excited about a Lobby system. This makes getting around so easy an getting a hold of other players an keeping everything organized. I’m very interested to see how you implement the system.

Although, I’m not a “Achievements and Awards” type person, their are thousands an thousands out there an I’m extremely thrilled that you are implementing them so it opens the door for more players that enjoy those features :slight_smile:

I’m interested in what the “Context Chat System” is an what that will entail?

“Party System” is great as well an really like that!

There are just tons of goodies in the list that are awesome Splash Damage. Whether it all makes it in or not, it’s awesome to get an idea what you guys are striving for an what your goals are. Thank you for the list :slight_smile:

(ImageOmega) #37

Nice! Glad to see you guys put down a list for us to salivate over. One of the hot topics me and the others discuss is how excited we are to see the future of Dirty Bomb. There is great potential here as the game has already so many amazing qualities going for it. I hope to see this trend continue of letting us know what is planned and more specifically, what kind of feedback from us is most helpful.

What is also exciting (and validating) for myself is that a lot of the future things you are planning are subject matters I have written extensively on over at DirtyBombers.com. Plus, there are many gamers putting their thoughts down on the site that are not in the alpha, so I think that further validates the ideas that are being whirled around.

Thanks again, Anti!

(Valdez) #38

[QUOTE=Anti;433455]I give ‘you guys’ credit, but I also have stats that show there are plenty of other FPS players that give up early if they’re struggling. If we can ease their experience for even a tiny bit longer than we do now, without ruining the core game, then we can make sure the game has a really healthy community.

One problem with Brink was that we didn’t maintain that core experience in the pursuit of some of the accessibility, a closed alpha helps us avoid that same mistake on DB.[/QUOTE]

First off the plans you have for this game are awesome, I really think this whole LoL/sc2/dota2 game lobby type system is a game changer for an FPS. As far as the ammo boxes / ammo drops, honestly if a newb is getting their teeth kicked in they will be dead before even running out of ammo. I think the way to keep the newbs playing is exactly what you guys have planned (I think this is planned) a ranking system, let the newbs play with other newbs that way they will feel a bit better about themselves.

On to another topic, I really do hope there are some smaller maps with less time to complete and less objectives, this would be beneficial for the competitive community. Two maps for this style will work, then you can add more later :).

(Maca) #39

TF2 is in a way very noobfriendly, because of the different characters, every type of player can have something to do, to have a feeling that they’re doing something.

But DB is much more standardized shooter, which means that you can be pretty ****ed in battle if you don’t know how to aim. So what can a player who is bad at shooting do? Support his team, that’s why this game has multiple classes.
But everything that makes the players in this game self sufficient, ammo drops, ammo stands, auto-healthregen, they are taking away from the sense of accomplishment from everyone who isn’t that great shooter but have a brain to play a team-based game. By making the ways classes support eachother redundant, you’re denying that sense of teamwork from people who want to play for their team, but aren’t great offensively.
I would like to see DB be a game where all your resources come from your team-mates, then people will be asking for them and a “bad” player can get feeling of accomplishment from just playing the support role of his class.

EDIT: people don’t quit a game because they sometimes run out of ammo, they quit a game because they get no sense of accomplishment, because auto-healthregen and ammo stands are doing their job.

(mortis) #40

Most of these plans seem right on target to me.

No mention of SDK, or is this out of the question? Or just too far out to merit mention at this point?