Competitive scene

(DarkangelUK) #61

Everyone having the same gun ruins balance? o_O

(tokamak) #62

You were talking about making the game more dynamic, not balanced. Sure you can easily balance a game by stripping away it’s complexity.

(Kinjal) #63

It’s not so simple, the main objective of promod(rules) is to remove all exploits, like 2-3 rocket lunchers or overpowered gun or perk(people always seek a way to have supremacy) and save the game strong sides like class balance and coordination. U can’t use promod on everyone, it will lead to whine – “Why we have only 1 sniper rifle(rocket) on team, I want be sniper too!!! It’s unfair”.

(Zanchile) #64

if you clan and the opposing clan are all “pro” players using promod why wouldn’t they just be mature enough to not use certain weapons and abilities instead of trying to use them when you all agreed you dont want them being used?

(Crytiqal) #65

Why would you need to stream to cheat protection services?
Can’t we all just be mature and agree not to cheat?

fail

(Kinjal) #66

Promod leaves no other option, just right option. Other way its rules ( like any game , http://clanbase.ggl.com/laddernews.php?nid=349945 ). If all player mature enough, promod not needed, but its utopia

(Kinjal) #67

For me balance lead to dynamic, but it’s only my opinion. Of course my opinion based on clanwars I played in ET, ETQW and Wolf 2009 promods, maybe in different games balance ruin dynamic of the game, I don’t know. “stripping away it’s complexity” – promod is not about that, not for me, all main features are saved, like 1 anti-personal turret per team in ETQW.

(murka) #68

The fact remains, do not judge a game before it’s out. We saw how some rules were agreed upon even without testing in wolf2009(unlocks? Sure some were unbalanced, but why remove something if it doesn’t seem balanced at first). Of course the communtiy itself was… well filled with the likes of JBRAA.

The moaning majority doesn’t even know what they want. Example, the weekly one-day etqw cup. It was on wednesdays, 4-8 teams signed up. Pushed to sunday due to “popular” demand and the cup didn’t get enuf ppl to start.

Now how is 4v4 etqw in no way a random arena 4v4? The whole match is decided by who lags the most and/or has the most luck. All the etqw complexity stripped away(VEHICLES!), it WAS literally random arena 4v4.

(tokamak) #69

[QUOTE=Kinjal;246182]For me balance lead to dynamic
[/QUOTE]

And you plan to achieve that balance by shutting off features rather than adjusting them. I have no problem with that, but don’t call it making the game more dynamic.

(Senethro) #70

You’re wrong. You also hold strong opinions that you refuse to change in the face of evidence, so I’m not going to discuss this with you more than this post.

In TF2 6v6, class restrictions prevent the teams being slight variations on 5 demomans and a medic. Restrictions of features is sometimes good for variety. I hope you’d agree that more variety usually increases how dynamic a game is.

Restrictions in earlier leagues on the Sandman Scout weapon which countered offensive ubers were placed because it made games more playable. There were less double fullholds which meant less games needed to be played as less deciding rounds needed to be played, rounds were shorter and scoreboards weren’t filled with draws. This made this metagame more dynamic.

These restrictions make the game more dynamic by decreasing the number of stalemates where two teams projectile spam the same chokepoint for 30 mins.

(tokamak) #71

Haha the irony. It’s alright mate, thanks for warning me, I won’t read further than that.

(H0RSE) #72

[QUOTE=Senethro;246203]You’re wrong. You also hold strong opinions that you refuse to change in the face of evidence, so I’m not going to discuss this with you more than this post.

In TF2 6v6, class restrictions prevent the teams being slight variations on 5 demomans and a medic. Restrictions of features is sometimes good for variety. I hope you’d agree that more variety usually increases how dynamic a game is.

Restrictions in earlier leagues on the Sandman Scout weapon which countered offensive ubers were placed because it made games more playable. There were less double fullholds which meant less games needed to be played as less deciding rounds needed to be played, rounds were shorter and scoreboards weren’t filled with draws. This made this metagame more dynamic.

These restrictions make the game more dynamic by decreasing the number of stalemates where two teams projectile spam the same chokepoint for 30 mins.[/QUOTE]
I think the one of the points trying to be made is tat Brink hasn’t even been released yet, and people are talking about getting a promod made for it. How could anyone know not only what a promod for Brink would need, but if it would even need one. And like you said:

“These restrictions make the game more dynamic by decreasing the number of stalemates where two teams projectile spam the same chokepoint for 30 mins.”

How would anyone know that either.

(Senethro) #73

[QUOTE=H0RSE;246207]
“These restrictions make the game more dynamic by decreasing the number of stalemates where two teams projectile spam the same chokepoint for 30 mins.”

How would anyone know that either.[/QUOTE]

I was referring to the ones described in my post for TF2, not the ones described in this thread for Brink.

Personally, I think Brink should be given the chance to be its own game before the old ET comp crowd decide they can design a better game.

Hey, I’m just trying to save another thread from becoming you repeating yourself in every second post for 3 pages without any evidence of understanding or interaction.

(.Chris.) #74

The only things that are a dead cert are the basics for match administration, pause, spec lock/invite and so.

(Cankor) #75

Agreed. I wouldn’t be surprised to see SD include the types of options in the original featureset that would allow for things like limitting wepaon types, class types,or even body types, as well as allowing for tweaking of spawn times and objective times.

The fact remains though that a game balanced for pub play tends to need to be tweaked at least a little to balance it for comp where you need to provide an offensive bias. But if everything else is well balanced this could easily be done simply by tweaking spawn times or objective completion times.

Hopefully everything is so well done that there isn’t a need to add any restrictions, and it’s pretty much unarguable that we need to see how the game plays first before theorizing about imposing any restrictions.

(BomBaKlaK) #76

Maybe a little selection like : PC clan / Xbox clan / PS3 clan can be a good idea !
not all in the same basket :wink:

(Kinjal) #77

[QUOTE=BomBaKlaK;246270]Maybe a little selection like : PC clan / Xbox clan / PS3 clan can be a good idea !
not all in the same basket ;)[/QUOTE]

May be in future. But where do I place unit 13 then.

(stepotronic) #78

Clan name: nimbleMinds
Web page: http://www.nimbleminds.eu
Info: Gaming clan for more than 5 years! We will play clanbase. 18+ English speaking, Meetings at least once a year
Members: http://www.nimbleminds.eu/forum/members/

(Kinjal) #79

2 new teams added

(Weapuh) #80

Yup, I see nothing wrong with getting an early jump on what MAY need to be customized ect. It will probably be less restrictive and more " allow equal access to every skill and piece of equipment" making things easier.

SD makes the Broodwar of FPS games :slight_smile: