Community Question: Watching Multiplayer Matches

(SockDog) #21

Sorry, I totally missed that!

I do wonder, and I’m not being bitchy here, if SD actually expect this. That being the community to finish off the features. I think my greatest disappointment with Brink was the apparent two steps back they took compared to ETQW on polish, the one thing I really thought they would have nailed is avoiding the six months of patches and features, it hurt with ETQW (apparently also on a financial scale for SD) but totally destroyed Brink.

I honestly think that if SD doesn’t feel these periphery items are essential (read: properly budgeted for time and money rather than appearing on a nice to have list) then perhaps they need to look at the products they’re creating, to be content to release a stunning B+ game than a incomplete AAA one.

(SebaSOFT) #22

@badman I think the poll question will not give you a lot of information due the people that care to answer. My opinion is that replay capabilities are right if youre looking for the hardcore competitive scene. Right things for the right customers.

(SockDog) #23

You’re thinking this backwards. It’s been a tool for the competitive scene because they’re the ones who get most from their investment learning and dealing with the demo/recording tools. If the tools were more accessible more users would use them.

(tokamak) #24

Indeed. The competitive scene is becoming more mainstream in that more and more people start to enjoy watching professional matches being played.

(Dthy) #25

Demo playback isn’t just locked to Competitive play, it’s also a good way of finding cheats.

(INF3RN0) #26

Let’s not forget that demo playback also allows more people to upload video content to the interwebs and promote the game :wink:. As we have seen in ETQW also, even the pub clans make use of tvservers as well as large scale community events. More useful than it all looks.

(Dthy) #27

Oh yeh, forgot about the fact you can promote yourself so you can show off your e-peen :o

(wolfnemesis75) #28

I’ve watched Live MLG matches for Halo Reach and BLOPS, which was fun and some competitions on Justin TV. I watch more Youtube Videos for games than any other way if I am not playing.

(wolfnemesis75) #29

May I ask what you’re working on with all these specific questions? Te he he!

(tokamak) #30

Damage control.

(Crispy) #31

[QUOTE=tokamak;389312]Damage control.[/QUOTE]That’s a pretty awesome name for a game!

(tokamak) #32

Or a subtitle for a particular sequel.

(BioSnark) #33

As with sports, if I watch largely depends on if I have any connection to the parties involved.

Team FPS is a hard genre to follow due to the perspective, however. Having a RTS style overhead view in a corner would really improve the experience for me and probably others not as interested in how well an individual plays as much as how the teams are doing.

(GreasedScotsman) #34

I imagine most can guess my answers :slight_smile: Shameless plugs in my sig, of course.

(Exedore) #35

Damage, Inc.

(tokamak) #36

[QUOTE=BioSnark;389478]As with sports, if I watch largely depends on if I have any connection to the parties involved.

Team FPS is a hard genre to follow due to the perspective, however. Having a RTS style overhead view in a corner would really improve the experience for me and probably others not as interested in how well an individual plays as much as how the teams are doing.[/QUOTE]

The third person perspective is really decent though.

I REALLY like like what Gears of War has. Some kind of smart cam that you can ‘bounce’ back and forth between fixed angles in the map. It’s really spectacular.

(SockDog) #37

It’s not a bad idea, you would hope that during map design camera placement and perhaps camera tracking routes would be inserted. Some fancy coding and you could have a semi automatic spectator mode (bring back the Quake III announcer!) based on objectives. These are the sorts of things, IMO, that SD needs to do and often are the first things they put to one side. Sure we want a solid game but these flourishes are the polish that make games and developers AAA.

3rd person works well because we’re just every day familiar with it and it gives a good overall perspective of the situation. That said 1st person can have a lot of value too. I think (not a dig) that missing one or the other is a poor decision, ideally you’d have that server side demo option where you’re able to obtain the entire data set and do what you please.

As it kind of touches on it too I’d have to repeat that solid demo, editing and spectating tools should be there from the off or at least have an interface open enough for modders to do them their selves and have that available on or before release.

Finally, killcam. I know it just won’t work in the current engine but IF you’re moving to another engine this is something I really miss from my early CoD days. It just helps improve your game when you can see exactly what you was doing wrong to die without trawling through whole demos. And making the game more accessible is a big objective of SD’s isn’t it? :slight_smile:

(The Ranger) #38

aww , 5 with no interest in this ? :frowning: