Community Question: Upcoming Dirty Bomb Videos

(Ecano) #21

I voted for Engine and Technology

(Loffy) #22

I voted for “anything, as long as there are more videos”.

There is no need for high-budget, absolutely-perfect videos. Informative, fast-paced, fact-filled videos, with a bit of humour and a lot of honesty in them, are all that is required. (The game on launch-day, on the other hand, has to be as perfect as possible. However, that is another story.)

Many gamers, me included, have grown to dislike big business, polished promotional schemes that lack depth. Make human, personal promotional videos, and it will surely pay off.

(Hyperg) #23

From all the stuff on the list, the topic about “Story and setting” is the least bound to changes as the game development progresses (at least there is an idea about that and pretty much everything else will support that plan). So those movies should be “easier” to make. My personal interest however goes to the gameplay exploration parts, which fall under the Classes, Maps and Objectives categories. Voted for Classes tho, since the design choices behind class mechanics and their role would be interesting to put into a nice informative movie.

(rookie1) #24

comparaison of DB with other SD games

(Skletcher) #25

+1 , but i want to see: Trick jumps(engine), RECOIL, HITSOUNDS and hitboxes.

(Bullveyr) #26

Because of the lack of an Gunplay/Movement option I voted for “Leveling Up and Unlockables”.

(NathanDavid) #27

I’m actually wondering why Gunplay/Movement, or what I would call - Mechanics - isn’t on that list. From years of FPS experience - I’d say mechanics are the most vital aspect of any game.

Competition should also be on that list.

(Kl3ppy) #28

I want to see something about the story. Also some infos about the engine would be cool.

(BTMPL) #29

My guess would be because the game is still in alpha and those things (movement mechanics) are still subject to change. They probably want to make a movie that can also be viewed when the game goes gold and still represent the product. Only thing from the list that could change overtime is the story, and they can just do an overview for now; the other thing are unlocks but I guess they will show a few and just fine tune them when needed.

(iwound) #30

Something involving cones.
They need to know the truth.

(ImageOmega) #31

[QUOTE=NathanDavid;436428]I’m actually wondering why Gunplay/Movement, or what I would call - Mechanics - isn’t on that list. From years of FPS experience - I’d say mechanics are the most vital aspect of any game.

Competition should also be on that list.[/QUOTE]

Well, the game is still in alpha, so this could be something that changes and evolves even through open beta. I would think eventually that this should be something that should be highlighted.

I am definitely with you to hear more about what kind of plans they have for “competition” specifically competitive match making (a la cs:go) and ladders. Also, I’d like to hear about what kind of team/clan support they are going to engage in. There are a lot of games that tout they support these ideas, but barely scratch the surface and don’t really get the community into the competitive side of things. I would say check out how popular Twitch.TV is becoming to see that there are more and more gamers interested in seeing high level play.

(Jarfer) #32

Def the level unlocks. I want to see what kind of incentives your game has.

(Hyperg) #33

Not sure “having fun playing DB” is an item on the game’s unlock table :stuck_out_tongue:

(MrFunkyFunk) #34

Would love to see what’s their plan to help build the community and the competitive scene through in and out of their planned game facilities/options.
And of course more of why players should play the game and what’s in it for them (fun!): maps/obj/levels & unlocks

It’s nice to preview the background story & settings but I believe it’s not specifically something that most people will care about past the introduction in a solely multiplayer game like DB. It can be great once players know more about your philosophy’s foundations and in-the-work plans for DB.
I think more people might be hooked by more in-game footage delivered by the devs with a punch-line sort of “this is what we’ve done, this is what we do and this is where we’re going thanks to you*”.

*players/testers

(Pytox) #35

[QUOTE=iwound;436450]Something involving cones.
They need to know the truth.[/QUOTE]
Cones? What mystery is hidden behind that?

(Falcon.PL) #36

I would highly appreciate a skills leveling info including the presentation of unlocked skills’/gadgets’ effectiveness compared to what it was like without them. Also some zoom at the rules of leveling/getting the skills unlocked. How about mixing classes during a campaign in order to get some skills from different classes? Will stuff remain?

Especially if there is something that might influence the duels - like rised HitPoints value @ respawn or lowered weapon spread.

Reasuming: Would appreciate to see what will the real influence of the whatever we can unlock be on the gameplay, how practical will the unlockables be.

Have a good day!

(Bangtastic) #37

First choice: Classes, Mercs Second: Level-System

(ImageOmega) #38

[QUOTE=MrFunkyFunk;436528]Would love to see what’s their plan to help build the community and the competitive scene through in and out of their planned game facilities/options.
And of course more of why players should play the game and what’s in it for them (fun!): maps/obj/levels & unlocks

It’s nice to preview the background story & settings but I believe it’s not specifically something that most people will care about past the introduction in a solely multiplayer game like DB. It can be great once players know more about your philosophy’s foundations and in-the-work plans for DB.
I think more people might be hooked by more in-game footage delivered by the devs with a punch-line sort of “this is what we’ve done, this is what we do and this is where we’re going thanks to you*”.

*players/testers[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, agree with you in the fullest there. The core mechanics of the game (movement/weapons) are extremely important, but beyond that what will Splash Damage do to ensure the longevity of Dirty Bomb and in support of the community and competitive scene (not that those two are mutually exclusive).

I think it is features like this that would set Dirty Bomb apart from all other games. I mean, look at the success of League of Legends. In a world full of moba clones why has LoL stood out head and shoulders above the rest? I think a huge part of that is the community support, lobby system, competitive branding, and usability/accessibility.

(Dysfunkshion) #39

Engine and technology. I want to know how the game will feel, based on the engine specifics and the technology SD uses. Both these things are at the core of the game and everything else somewhat depends on it. (This should also cover trickjumping and how much skill and knowledge affects gameplay.)

This also gives you the opportunity to release gameplay related info later, closer to release. From a marketing perspective, that would be the more obvious thing to do. Releasing a video about technology and the engine appeals more to players who are still unsure wether DB will be something for them and it might help them decide. On the other hand, pretty much every other option appeals more to new players, who haven’t heard much about DB yet.

If you convince people who are currently following DB, but not actively, you’ll probably create a lot more mouth to mouth advertising as well.

However, I’m a gamer and every piece of info is welcome. ^^

(dIaBol0s) #40

I would be interested also a video about the anti cheat system in Dirty Bomb