Colourblind Tutorial/Guide

(Faraleth) #1

This guide was created by Naxxus at Splash Damage, so all credit goes to him for his awesome work on grabbing the info. The original reddit thread can be found here.

To change the names and health of your Enemies:

1. Go to C:\Users\YourUsername\Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\ShooterGame\Config
  2. Right click on the ShooterUI.ini file (Save a copy of this file on your desktop just in case)
  3. Click on Open With and then select Notepad
  4. Search for [ShooterGame.SGUIHUDIFFObjectAlly]
  5. Under that heading there will be “m_PrimaryColor=” change the Value in the brackets with the colour that you want for your allies.*
  6. Search for [ShooterGame.SGUIHUDIFFObjectEnemy] (It should be right under the previous heading)
  7. Under that heading there will be “m_PrimaryColor=” change the Value in the brackets with the colour that you want for your enemies.*
  8. Save the text file (It is OK to overwrite the previous one).
  9. Load up Dirty Bomb, enjoy your new colours and Play Dirty!

To change the health bars on the side of the screen:

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dirty Bomb\ShooterGame\Config
  2. Right click on the DefaultGame.ini file (Save a copy of this file on your desktop just in case)
  3. Click on Open With and then select Notepad
  4. Search for [ShooterGame.SGUIHUDManager]
  5. Under that heading there should be a value named “m_AttackerColor” change the value in the brackets with the colour that you want the health bars on the side of your screen to appear as.*
  6. Save the text file (It is OK to overwrite the previous one).
  7. Load up Dirty Bomb, enjoy your new colours and Play Dirty!

The values in the brackets (RGBA) stand for Red, Green, Blue and Alpha. Editing these values will edit the colour, the Alpha value will determine the opacity of the colour and you don’t have to change this unless you want to. The colours that we used as an example are (R=252,G=255,B=56,A=255) for Allies and (R=128,G=77,B=255,A=255) for enemies. For examples of what values create what colours, check out this image: http://gutrrknchk.webs.com/RGBhtml.jpg

I know I will definitely find this very helpful, and I hope many of you who are also colourblind will find this helpful too. :slight_smile: As a final note, if you feel it needs any improvements to this guide, comment on the reddit thread and let them know what needs improving, as they will be looking there for responses, not here. Thanks!

(gg2ez) #2

I’m not colorblind but I’m sure someone will find this helpful.

Have you tried EnChroma glasses? They’re glasses that allow people with certain levels of CB to see colours. There’s an online test that will allow you to see if EnChroma will work for you. They’re pretty pricey though.

(Faraleth) #3

Exactly. :stuck_out_tongue:

(gg2ez) #4

Exactly. :stuck_out_tongue: [/quote]

Yeah, money is kind of sad :neutral:

(MissMurder) #5

Hope this helps some folks out!

(piranha_3) #6

wooow, a good idea will help many players

(CCP115) #7

I’m more interested in that RGB image, so I can change my crosshair colour without having to guess B)

Still, good to see a solution, even if just temporary.

(Healindeath_SGT_ET) #8

Thanks so much, this will help me with my db experience <3 :slight_smile:

(1AGRESSOR) #9

here this might be real helpful

http://www.rapidtables.com/web/color/RGB_Color.htm

you can enter color code and you see which color it is
or
you can choose a color and you get a color code

(Private_Falcon) #10

O mah gud thank you

(Private_Falcon) #11

For

(KnightDemon) #12

I’ve bookmarked this page, it’s incredibly useful for those that are colorblind. Another thing that helps as well is to set your digital vibrance if you have an Nvidia card to around 70 - 90. It helps the colors pop out better, and coupled with the guide posted makes things easier to see.

If anyone wonders if they may be an undiagnosed person afflicted w/ colorblindness, you can actually test yourself via online Ishihara plates, aka the dot test. Go here and click start test, after finishing it will give you an idea of where you stand. http://enchroma.com/test/instructions/

Mine comes across as a moderate protan, which means red is very weak to my eyes. For most of you, it will probably read that you have normal color vision.