Cheaters in Dirty Bomb

(ToonBE) #21

So nothing could be done about the haxers already out there? I realy don’t get how you can be happy with just a cheat scanner, even a good one.

It is not like if one person is reporting you that you will get banned. It would be highly valueable when certain people of the community together with people over at splash damage are assigned to watch demo’s of so called cheaters. Only when it is 100% sure that this person is cheating, there will be a ban.

Also a ban is not permanent. You start with 1 month, next 6 months, next 1 year, next 2 years etc…

anti cheat software is ALWAYS bypasseble no matter how good or bad it is. Also a good anti-cheat software is VERY intrusive on privacy. There needs to something backing it up and the best way to do that is by providing a tool like overwatch in csgo.

(Mustang) #22

You wouldn’t immediately get the ability to ban everyone, it could be more of a peers sort of system as Kroad said, and you’d have to build up reputation by not banning players incorrectly, the better you are at making the right call the more heavily your vote on the final decision is.

Essentially it would, again as Kroad said, allow the community to ban the blatant cheaters, whilst the questionable players can still be dealt with in the usual manner by devs.

BTW just because someone in-game is raging and calling hax doesn’t necessarily mean they actually believe it, it’s just something to say when you get schooled by a better player.

(Anti) #23

[QUOTE=ToonBE;527026]So nothing could be done about the haxers already out there? I realy don’t get how you can be happy with just a cheat scanner, even a good one.

It is not like if one person is reporting you that you will get banned. It would be highly valueable when certain people of the community together with people over at splash damage are assigned to watch demo’s of so called cheaters. Only when it is 100% sure that this person is cheating, there will be a ban.

Also a ban is not permanent. You start with 1 month, next 6 months, next 1 year, next 2 years etc…

anti cheat software is ALWAYS bypasseble no matter how good or bad it is. Also a good anti-cheat software is VERY intrusive on privacy. There needs to something backing it up and the best way to do that is by providing a tool like overwatch in csgo.[/QUOTE]

Systems like the one you suggest are quite involved to build, and ensure they work well, but it’s definitely an idea that we like.

(Humbugsen) #24

[QUOTE=ToonBE;527026]So nothing could be done about the haxers already out there? I realy don’t get how you can be happy with just a cheat scanner, even a good one.

anti cheat software is ALWAYS bypasseble no matter how good or bad it is. Also a good anti-cheat software is VERY intrusive on privacy. There needs to something backing it up and the best way to do that is by providing a tool like overwatch in csgo.[/QUOTE]

If this is going to happen, only high level AND high skilled players should be able to report and judge.
I saw sooo many new players calling totally legit players hackers.

I personally didn’t see any obvious hacker in 180hours playtime yet

(ToonBE) #25

Yes, I can imagine it is very demanding to build. However in my oppinion it should not be the next overwatch, which probably costs alot of money to build.

What about something like this:

In a competitive match everyone is obliged to record there game. This is done by a simple console command f.e. “record evaczone vs v586”. This command creates a file in the dirty bomb game folders. This file can be opened and viewed by a program where you can fast forward/rewind, enable a wallhack (like in csgo spectator view). In this way it is easy for players to check if someone is cheating or not: is the suspect looking at walls? is he aimlocking? strange movements?. The player reviewing this demo can make timestamps for the anti-cheat admins, f.e. 3min45s-4min/8min15-9min etc. This timestamped demo file is uploaded to a website (you guys can make awesomlooking websites) where it can be viewed by known players with good reputation. The timestamps also enable these admins to watch the scenes that were tagged as being “dodgy”. These admins all give there oppinion about a demo. If everyone thinks he is cheating then it is up to splash damage to decide to ban or not. If there are admins not convinced this guy is cheating, even if it is just one then the suspects is considered as clean.

Maybe this is less demanding to create? It does not have to be integrated into the games UI, although that would ofcourse be very awesome.

(spookify) #26

[QUOTE=Humbugsen;527030]If this is going to happen, only high level AND high skilled players should be able to report and judge.
I saw sooo many new players calling totally legit players hackers.

I personally didn’t see any obvious hacker in 180hours playtime yet[/QUOTE]

I am just going to elaborate on your comment:

***These so called High Skilled players that you talk about are the ones that need to be under a microscope. (The try hards that are in really good clans.) These people are trying super hard to hide their haxs while getting a slight upper hand with macros, spread control or toggles. These players are the people I am most scared about!!!

I remember when Battlefield 3 first came out and we were in the first few months on Comp it think it was Nox vs Rivel and some nox guy was record getting a normal double kill. A person “like” xfactor (Possible someone else) had that demo and a broke it down frame by frame and found out he was using a very hidden spread control toggle.

Cant echo or XIGNCODE or some third party software pick up on abnormal key inputs or have an algorithm that looks for patterns that are made by these macros? Get some nerd scientist in here and use his power for good rather then sports betting haha!

(BMXer) #27

[QUOTE=spookify;527033]I am just going to elaborate on your comment:

***These so called High Skilled players that you talk about are the ones that need to be under a microscope. (The try hards that are in really good clans.) These people are trying super hard to hide their haxs while getting a slight upper hand with macros, spread control or toggles. These players are the people I am most scared about!!!

I remember when Battlefield 3 first came out and we were in the first few months on Comp it think it was Nox vs Rivel and some nox guy was record getting a normal double kill. A person “like” xfactor (Possible someone else) had that demo and a broke it down frame by frame and found out he was using a very hidden spread control toggle.

Cant echo or XIGNCODE or some third party software pick up on abnormal key inputs or have an algorithm that looks for patterns that are made by these macros? Get some nerd scientist in here and use his power for good rather then sports betting haha![/QUOTE]

THIS^^^^
SD needs to take AC way more seriously. Its already a fairly big problem and its just going to get worse.

We know for a fact that there are already a handful of different cheats floating around. I’d venture to guess that there are at least a dozen active cheats that currently are not detected in Dirty Bomb right now. There have been enough idiots using cheats blatantly and even advertising them ingame to know this is fact.
If there are 10 + people using blatant cheats, that means there are at least as many using “humanized” or “private” cheats. The “humanized/private” cheats are the most problematic. Its going to require actual code detection of their cheat or these kids will continue to be considered “good player” and basically ruin competitive play.

There is little to no chance for LAN events for DB. This makes clean online play that much more important.

SD has a legit opportunity to do something really good here. In the history of FPS gaming no one has taken anticheat seriously. VAC is hands down, by far the best and most respected anticheat system in use… and VAC sucks! Set the gold standard for AC and actually put some real effort into keeping your game clean!

(Amerika) #28

As a person who was the head of CAL Anti-Cheat back in the day and very involved in rooting out skilled players who were also skilled at cheating and hiding it, I know what I want to see in a good AC. The issue is, as pointed out earlier, that you take away users privacy by creating an AC that would be any good. The AC would need to have quite a few elevated rights to your system and be able to scan things like key presses, macro usage, browser caches, processes that are running, ability to pick up processes hooking into the DB executable, applications installed, raw image dumps from the GPU, image dumps after GPU rendering (what the person actually sees on their screen), people assigned to constantly infiltrate cheat makers sites and buy all the latest cheats, create signatures to identify the cheats or parts of them and many other things. Not only that, but the AC has to provide tools for the community to use and a proper reporting system with something similar to Overwatch would also go a long way. I am simplifying what is actually involved by quite a bit too.

So it might sound like a simple request in most people’s heads but it’s not. Also, are you willing to give up that much privacy to a company that may or may not have your best intentions in mind? Let us look at ESEA. It’s AC is regarded as one of the best ever created. It has a lot of the features I cited and also have elevated privs. Also, the makers included a bitcoin miner and were caught doing so and claimed it was an April Fool’s Day joke gone wrong even though none of that made sense. People still use ESEA but it’s a prime example of what giving up that kind of privs on your computer means. Hell, recently people went nuts when they found out VAC was scanning browser cache looking for some cheat software’s DRM that was phoning home. That’s all it did but many people were outraged when they found out.

There is a reason why most games don’t have an amazing AC. It’s because it’s impossible without pissing off a pretty good portion of your potential playerbase and it’s a PR nightmare that might be worse than cheaters being more prominent in your game (since everyone expects cheaters and has for 20 years). I’m not saying SD couldn’t do better but I just want to throw out how realistic some of the requests are and what it would mean for those who aren’t as well versed in the area.

(Mustang) #29

You can have all the hook checks and gpu dumps you want, but clientside detection is flawed by design.

Give-up on the idea and work on a better solution.

(Szakalot) #30

Leave AC to the community by giving us tools (demo recording = done)

(Kroad) #31

[QUOTE=Mustang;527044]You can have all the hook checks and gpu dumps you want, but clientside detection is flawed by design.

Give-up on the idea and work on a better solution.[/QUOTE]

pls explain why

because the way i see it, it has flaws, but not as many as letting the community do it

[QUOTE=Amerika_KC;527043]As a person who was the head of CAL Anti-Cheat back in the day and very involved in rooting out skilled players who were also skilled at cheating and hiding it, I know what I want to see in a good AC. The issue is, as pointed out earlier, that you take away users privacy by creating an AC that would be any good. The AC would need to have quite a few elevated rights to your system and be able to scan things like key presses, macro usage, browser caches, processes that are running, ability to pick up processes hooking into the DB executable, applications installed, raw image dumps from the GPU, image dumps after GPU rendering (what the person actually sees on their screen), people assigned to constantly infiltrate cheat makers sites and buy all the latest cheats, create signatures to identify the cheats or parts of them and many other things. Not only that, but the AC has to provide tools for the community to use and a proper reporting system with something similar to Overwatch would also go a long way. I am simplifying what is actually involved by quite a bit too.

So it might sound like a simple request in most people’s heads but it’s not. Also, are you willing to give up that much privacy to a company that may or may not have your best intentions in mind? Let us look at ESEA. It’s AC is regarded as one of the best ever created. It has a lot of the features I cited and also have elevated privs. Also, the makers included a bitcoin miner and were caught doing so and claimed it was an April Fool’s Day joke gone wrong even though none of that made sense. People still use ESEA but it’s a prime example of what giving up that kind of privs on your computer means. Hell, recently people went nuts when they found out VAC was scanning browser cache looking for some cheat software’s DRM that was phoning home. That’s all it did but many people were outraged when they found out.

There is a reason why most games don’t have an amazing AC. It’s because it’s impossible without pissing off a pretty good portion of your potential playerbase and it’s a PR nightmare that might be worse than cheaters being more prominent in your game (since everyone expects cheaters and has for 20 years). I’m not saying SD couldn’t do better but I just want to throw out how realistic some of the requests are and what it would mean for those who aren’t as well versed in the area.[/QUOTE]
sure, AC takes work, but it’s better than nothing and is a NECESSITY, not a luxury. There are plenty of games that are now unplayable due to how hacker infested they are, and this only happens in games with garbage AC (or none, which is pretty much what xigncode comes down to).

overwatch isn’t needed to complement AC, the whole point of a good AC would be to remove the need of an overwatch system,although all that’s needed to complement the AC is demo recording (which is needed for other reasons too) and the ability to send demos to support.

(Amerika) #32

[QUOTE=Mustang;527044]You can have all the hook checks and gpu dumps you want, but clientside detection is flawed by design.

Give-up on the idea and work on a better solution.[/QUOTE]

It’s flawed because most AC programs out there do not have the system privs and the companies don’t want to risk the PR nightmare to make them good. It’s a lose/lose for the company providing the AC. However, if it did happen then those client side tools would be necessary. Even if they get blocked by the cheat software the act of blocking them gives you a good sign of what’s potentially going on.

What exactly is your idea for a better solution?

[QUOTE=Kroad;527050]pls explain why

because the way i see it, it has flaws, but not as many as letting the community do it

sure, AC takes work, but it’s better than nothing and is a NECESSITY, not a luxury. There are plenty of games that are now unplayable due to how hacker infested they are, and this only happens in games with garbage AC (or none, which is pretty much what xigncode comes down to).

overwatch isn’t needed to complement AC, the whole point of a good AC would be to remove the need of an overwatch system,although all that’s needed to complement the AC is demo recording (which is needed for other reasons too) and the ability to send demos to support.[/QUOTE]

I never said nor implied that AC wasn’t needed. I am simply telling people who don’t know the reality of the situation in regards to their request and what goes into it. It’s better to know why something isn’t being done than to make up your own reasons. People consider VAC to be garbage but it’s literally the best AC out there that doesn’t cross too many personal lines (like the ESEA plugin I described). And personal review is always needed at some point. Nothing could ever be flawless.

(Mustang) #33

It’s flawed because the cheater can man-in-the-middle between the client and server as well as between the gpu and monitor, all without having any actual cheat program running on the PC that’s running the game.

Also I’ve said what my better idea is, serverside only analysis and detection, and/or a community supported reporting and server demo analysis.

(MoonOnAStick) #34

[QUOTE=Amerika_KC;527043]…

There is a reason why most games don’t have an amazing AC. It’s because it’s impossible without pissing off a pretty good portion of your potential playerbase and it’s a PR nightmare that might be worse than cheaters being more prominent in your game (since everyone expects cheaters and has for 20 years). I’m not saying SD couldn’t do better but I just want to throw out how realistic some of the requests are and what it would mean for those who aren’t as well versed in the area.[/QUOTE]

That’s an interesting perspective. I’ve sometimes wondered why the effectiveness of anti-cheat software seemed so poor compared to, say, commercial anti-virus. I always just assumed there was no financial incentive to crack down beyond a certain point.

(Amerika) #35

[QUOTE=Mustang;527054]It’s flawed because the cheater can man-in-the-middle between the client and server as well as between the gpu and monitor, all without having any actual cheat program running on the PC that’s running the game.

Also I’ve said what my better idea is, serverside only analysis and detection, and/or a community supported reporting and server demo analysis.[/QUOTE]

Just because some cheats have the ability does not mean all do. And detection of the bypassing of some of these methods is another way to check for cheats as well.

How would you go about pulling off this server-side only analysis then? Will it be in real time? If so how many resources are you willing to give it? Does it instead use a demo only and look for certain patterns? With MitM software keystrokes can be spoofed so would it need to be able to compare what happens on the screen exactly to the keystrokes sent? That sounds like it could also be bypassed. Also, what about demo accuracy? I don’t know much about EU3 and it’s demo abilities but in CS:GO server-side demos don’t show what actually happened for reasons we don’t need to go into here.

I am not asking the questions to be a pain in the ass. They are simply questions that would need to be answered along with many more I could come up with given enough time on it.

And of course we need demo support/community oversight. That goes without saying.

(Kroad) #36

I don’t agree with this whole PR thing.
Sure, a bunch of people will kick up a fuss about intrusive AC (hell, some already have about XIGNCODE as it is intrusive)
however, very few people will actually quit because of this intrusive AC, most people don’t actually value privacy over a good game (and the idea that anticheat is a threat to privacy is ridiculous tbh)

A hacker infested game, however, will make people quit.

if PR is such a problem, allow users to choose if they want to allow the AC, and then create secure and non secure servers. Comp MM is secure, and so are most of the servers in server browser. Some servers in server browser aren’t secure, and those that really care about their “privacy” that much can enjoy playing with 9 cheaters there.

(Zenity) #37

That’s the first time I hear about this, and it sounds rather advanced to say the least. Do you know that this exists or are you just assuming that it probably exists because it theoretically could? Even then, that’s not going to be trivial to set up for the average cheater, so client AC would still serves a purpose. It’s just not a comprehensive solution, that should be clear.

(Szakalot) #38

sounds like a new cheat meta : (

Welcome to big Lan events : P

(spookify) #39

Speaking of Cheaters Helmut Muller was just haxing his ass off… USA East 7v7 EX

(BioSnark) #40

Also speaking of cheating, anticheat is letting me run the game with autohotkey. Probably shouldn’t. Could have a script to autofire when aimed at enemy.