Character-oriented grenades

(Humate) #21

Seems too silly and possibly random lol

lol it was tongue in cheek, but thats sort of stuff sd would do :slight_smile:

(INF3RN0) #22

The main difference between this topic and past topics is that we’re talking about replacing the standard flat-damage grenade functionality with more unique “catalyst types” across all sets of mercs (excluding the soldier maybe). I really hope SD does something with this considering it’s a very decent proposal, and it would help add to the merc definition as well as fill the void of that extra tool.

(RasteRayzeR) #23

Agreed. Here we have a point they can’t deny : add a new ability to each character. Now it can take many forms, why not use this to our advantage and get some grenades back into the game ? Personnaly I know that without grenades this game lacks epicness and excitement, but they won’t let everyone have a standard issue grenade. This is the best we can do to get more grenades in the game i’m afraid.

(RasteRayzeR) #24

Could we get the mortar back too, that was a hell load of fun : explosive, random at first, nice learning curve -> mastery !

(Glottis-3D) #25

Left/right Curved nades??
Like bullet curves in Wanted. They go behind corners.
The more you cook it, the larger radius of curve. Dedonate at contact, or second click.
Secondary weapon switches left/right curvature.

This is going to be not-so-easy to master.

from the top:

O

o
|||||||||||||
o
|||||||||||||
o
|||||||||||||
o
|||||||||||||
o
|||||||||||||
o
|||||||||||||
o
|||||||||||||
o
||||||||||||| <o/

(RasteRayzeR) #26

Looks interesting, I’d love to try something like this. Could be really fun !

(Brinkman) #27

To me a grenade is a grenade is a grenade.

Putting too many weapons in a game will just Team Fortress 2 this game. It has to come down to fast decision making when in a firefight. Now you’ll have to assess what grenades the person you’re battling might have and how to react to them accordingly.

This sounds like a cool idea and who wouldn’t want more content, but I feel this would be counter productive in the core gameplay.

(zeroooo) #28

just give every character his one nade back, nader still keep his nades, which recharge, (maybe shorter)

(BomBaKlaK) #29

[QUOTE=Brinkman;481032]To me a grenade is a grenade is a grenade.

Putting too many weapons in a game will just Team Fortress 2 this game. It has to come down to fast decision making when in a firefight. Now you’ll have to assess what grenades the person you’re battling might have and how to react to them accordingly.

This sounds like a cool idea and who wouldn’t want more content, but I feel this would be counter productive in the core gameplay.[/QUOTE]

I’m agree with your position, but some diversity in the gameplay is needed. maybe only few diffĂ©rent type is better imo.
I don’t want to see this game turn in a new TF2 spam fest.

(Glottis-3D) #30

noone wants spam. but it appears to me that the only way we can get our beloved nades back is that these nades could be used as a differentiate factor for characters. since this is the policy of extraction (not class based, but character-based)

(Ashog) #31

[QUOTE=Brinkman;481032]To me a grenade is a grenade is a grenade.

This sounds like a cool idea and who wouldn’t want more content, but I feel this would be counter productive in the core gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Totally wrong in all points.

First TF2 doesn’t have grenades.

Second, every class having different grenades has already been tried for many years in QW TF, TF Classic, Q3F and what not. All of these games were a lot of fun and grenades served not for confusion but for variable tactics and steeper class learning curves.

(tokamak) #32

Grenades should have low-damage and a huge push-back effect.

(Brinkman) #33

Too over powered. I agree they should be low powered but it should really just be to finish someone off or to flush them out of a hiding spot. I dig the molotov cocktails. They do add a lot to the game. I’d say that’s the limit though. Give each character either a standard grenade or a cocktail.

(fubar) #34

speak for yourself, I love spam, I love spamming. There’s a huge difference between people that actually know how to and your random pubscrubheros that throw untimed nades for no reason other than having gotten a kill from such, there, once, 20minutes ago. And despite everything you may believe in, if you know spam, you know how to avoid it, don’t like spam? Play around it. Spam is and should be integral to the game, as is to any decent FPS, spam gives smart players an advantage over brainless aim-only heroes, spam is the best thing to have ever happened to RtCW/ET/Quake/Even CS for that matter. But, it really doesn’t matter, you can cry and argue as much as you want over it, they’ve long decided they need an even easier hello kitty series because apparently the target audience for this game consists of 8 year olds with mental disabilities, boy would it be wrong to ever expect your players not to be handicapped in a way such that they could actually even figure something out on their own!

(Rex) #35

The grenade I would like to see is the “EMP”. Could be really useful for disabling the EV for a certain time, MGs etc.

To the spam topic:

My words! I also love controlled spam and it was always part of the games.

(Glottis-3D) #36

i do not confuse spam with tactical usage of grenades. Spam starts when something - like quantity of nades - is not balanced. Like it was in vanilla etqw with supply boxes (at a certain patch).

(BomBaKlaK) #37

I understand this point of view, spam is needed but not to much like said rex “Controlled spam” not spam only as TF2 can be.

I’m more on this idea :

(Protekt1) #38

It’ll be fine as long as grenades don’t take precedence over gunplay. Look at stun nades, they are good but they don’t kill or cause really any damage. If something is going to disorient or cause a slow down, it shouldn’t be better than stun nades. If something is going to have area of effect persistence like molotovs, it shouldn’t do a slow down and damage. I’m not suggesting these are rules or anything, just saying that they shouldn’t get out of hand and it could very easily with some of the suggestions having multiple effects and damage and some powerful twist.

(Brinkman) #39

I think we’re speaking for the majority and not the minority that you appear to be in.

(Rex) #40

And what exactly are you speaking for the majority?

Oh you didn’t like Volcano main? :> (Was my absolute favourite one! :D)