Cel Shading in D3 or Q4

(Enforcer) #1

Im gonan be starting 2 new mods soon as well as working on the current 1 im working on now. And im wondering if anyone knows how to make a Cel Shaded (ful blown Cel shaded fragment Prog, with simple single texture shade and the anime black outlines.)

YOu can post here on this forum or over here http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=14692 on that forum.

im basically looking for what ydnar did with q3map2 and the cel shading effect in that.

(kamikazee) #2

You should be able to look at Ydnar’s code, I guess.
There are some versions of Q3map2 in the GTKRadiant source repository, the onlything I don’t know is if that version contains the cel shading feature.

(Enforcer) #3

k ill take a peak

(carnage) #4

are you sure q3map2 will be much use. after all q3map2 relies on pre compiled maps. the d3 q4 have to work at real time

(Enforcer) #5

not sure but atm is the only shot i have to try

(Zombie13) #6

There is already a semi-cel-shading mod out there for Doom 3. It only lacks the black outline around the objects: http://pcgamemods.com/mod/6604.html
If you want to write your own fragment/vertex program for Doom 3 you won’t be able to use q3map2 stuff you’ll need to learn how to write shaders in assembly.

This is an overview of what a fragment program is: http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/ARB/fragment_program.txt

Hope that helps!

Z

(Higgins) #7

There is already a semi-cel-shading mod out there for Doom 3. It only lacks the black outline around the objects: http://pcgamemods.com/mod/6604.html

Thats just doom 3 without the bump maps.

(carnage) #8

its not quite there is a lot more there but i dont realy like the cell shading style you get there. if you look at the cell sahding kinda anime and comics then things are shaderd by one flat colour then a darker shader of that colour to signify areas that are darker

the aproch here is more an engine way of rendering than using shaders, you sertainly wont get the same level of efficiency by going though shaders then a cell shading engine

the way i see that you coudl actuly get this work is like per pixel lighting but rather then rendering this render the flat shade on the surface then analysis if the value after lighting is higher or lower then a sertain value. if its value is higher leave that pixel alone if its lower then apply shading to that pixel to make it darker. you woudl still need a black outline shader to get a real comic effect tho

i think that method would be find for player models etc but not sure for walls floors etc as rounded lightources could leave strong rounded light shaped on walls etc making it look a lil wierd

(Herr W) #9

Hi everyone! Guess, some of us met on the Doom3world board, discussing this topic…

I deal with the same problem since I intended to convert my Q3 “MONKEY KOMBAT Arena” mod ( http://monkeykombat.planetquake.gamespy.com ) to D3 .

It should be possible to recreate the effect. THIS http://monkeykombat.planetquake.gamespy.com/cartoon_scr_02.jpg is what I brought about after playing around with D3’s material keywords for a while. Pretty basic, but maybe something to build on.

Every box consists of two cubes (yep, one slightly bigger than the other), each covered with one of of the following materials:

textures/bb2/outline
{
qer_editorimage textures/bb2/outline.tga
noShadows
noOverlay
sort decal
diffusemap textures/bb2/outline.tga
}

textures/bb2/gelb_01
{
qer_editorimage textures/bb2/gelb_01
sort close
noselfshadow
diffusemap textures/bb2/grau.tga
{
blend add
map textures/bb2/strand_gelb_01.tga
}
}

Not very elegant, though. But maybe one of you has an idea how to develope it…

(Rituioo887) #10

bump up then lurk---------------------------------------------------------------------------------We offer wow power leveling and World of Warcraft Powerleveling, wow power leveling, Buy Cheap WoW Power Leveling, enjoy best service:cheap WoW Gold, WoW Gold, buy WoW Gold,

(lmno240) #11

[align=left][align=left]Pearlove Jewelry Inc. lauches many fine pearl jewelries ?C pearl necklaces, pearl bracelets, pearl earrings, and fine Swarovski crystal jewelry for wedding bridal party, Christmas Eve, and other occasions. Detailed products lists are at http://www.pearlove.com/christmas-gift-jewelry-cl-49.html . [/align][/align][align=left][align=left] [/align][/align][align=left][align=left]Pearlove.com, one of the most swiftly developing cultured pearl jewelry wholesalers in China, launches many new styles of freshwater pearl necklaces, bracelets, cultured pearl earrings and pearl jewelry sets, which can be worn in wedding parties, grand dinners, and etc.In the past few months, Pearlove.com specializes in designing fashion pearl jewelry, especially for Christmas. The styles of pearl necklaces include single-row simple necklaces, illusion necklaces, tin cup necklaces, lariat necklaces, multi-strand, twisted necklaces, rope necklaces and more. Materials used are including various shapes and colors of freshwater pearls, Chinese semi-precious stones, Swarovski crystals, Chinese natural crystals and etc. [/align][/align][align=left][align=left]The jewelries made for formal occasions are usually used with good quality pearls and stones, and light colors. For example, 925 silver chains & clasps, round or near round pearls are used for bridal jewelry styles, and the colors are usually white, pink or lavender. Most of these styles are simple and beautiful. Usually, pearl colors are changeable, according to buyers’ own design.Pearl jewelry sets are popular with most clients. Consumers like more to wear a set jewelry which can match their clothes, hair and shoes perfectly. Pearlove’s jewelry sets are usually including necklaces and earrings, bracelets according clients request. The jewelry sets styles contain formal set, good quality set and fashion style, to meet different market. Clients can easily choose equal prices and styles on http://www.pearlove.com/pearl-jewelry-c-5.html .[/align][/align][align=left][align=left]About Pearlove.comPearlove Jewelry (http://www.pearlove.com), freshwater pearl jewelries online wholesale store, mainly focused in Chinese natural colors of cultured freshwater pearls; Pearlove Jewelry also does some dyed pearls basing clients’ requests. In addition, the company wholesale coral jewelry, turquoise, shell beaded jewelry, crystal and other gemstone jewelry. Customized requests are accepted as well. [/align][/align]

(Ropiiol943) #12

the secret of success is constancy of purpose.-------------------------THE website offer Fast and Secure wow powerleveling service. wow power leveling 60-80, Cheap wow power leveling. Buy WoW Gold The Professional WoW Power Leveling! Powerlevel now. WOrld of warcraft Power Leveling, wow power leveling bloom of true love associated with this time of year!

(sherriesyo) #13

woo!good!MONEY-RUNESCAPE provide good and safe runescape money ,runescape gold,runescape power leveling and Runescape Gold.want to buy them,come here.

(Yougssio28) #14

I’m going to bump the thread PRETTY WOMANPART 7INT. STUCKEY’S OFFICE - LATE AFTERNOON - INTERCUTEdward is in a private office.EDWARDNever answer the phone. Ever.VIVIANTsk, believe me, this will be thelast time.EDWARDDid you buy some clothes?VIVIANI got a dress, yeah.EDWARDJust one? Christ… I hope it’sappropriate.VIVIANIt’s very tasteful. I thinkyou’ll especially like the zipperin the crotch.(silence)I’m – joking.EDWARDLet’s hope so. You’ll get somemore clothes tomorrow. I’ll bepushed for time so meet me in thehotel lobby at seven forty-fivesharp. Got it?VIVIANNo, I don’t “got it”. Even thefarmboys back in Georgia come tothe door when they’re taking youon a date.EDWARDThis isn’t a date.VIVIANGo by yourself then. Where youtaking me anyway?EDWARDThe Rex.VIVIANAny good?EDWARDI think you’ll approve.VIVIAN… all right. I’ll meet you inthe lobby. But only cause you’repaying me to.EDWARDThank you very much.Vivian slowly sets the phone down. The phone rings again.Vivian, very carefully, punches the flashing button and picksit up.VIVIANHello?EDWARDI thought I told you not to answerthe phone.VIVIANOooh!Edward hangs up. He smiles to himself.Vivian bites her fingernails, looking nervous. The doorbellRINGS. Vivian looks up, startled. She rises, moves to answerit.It’s the Spanish MAID. She nods politely at Vivian.MAIDHousekeeping. I come to turndown the bed. 5:00, I turn downthe bed.VIVIANWhat?The Maid points to her hotel badge, trying to explain.MAIDHousekeeping. I come to turndown the bed.VIVIANOkay.The Maid enters.VIVIANIs there a trick to it?INT. PENTHOUSE BEDROOM - LATE AFTERNOONThe Maid turns down the bedspread.VIVIANIs that all? You just fold backthe bedspread?MAIDI also place las chocolates onthe pillow.VIVIANOooh, I love those.MAIDI leave extras, miss.VIVIANThanks! Consuelo, are all richpeople so lazy they can’t do thison their own?Consuelo shrugs.INT. HOTEL LOBBY - LATE AFTERNOONMr. Thomas is still behind the desk, working when a soft voicestartles him.VIVIANBarney.He looks up. He sighs. Vivian still hasn’t changed.MR. THOMASWhat is it, Miss Vivian?VIVIANEdward is taking me to some fancyplace for dinner. The Rex. Everbeen there?MR. THOMASIt’s a bit beyond my… range,shall we say.VIVIANYeah, mine too. Is it like,y’know, normal?MR. THOMASI think you’ll find it normalenough.VIVIANWill I like it?MR. THOMASYou’ll like it fine.VIVIANOkay. Thanks, Barney. You’rethe best.She turns away.MR. THOMASJust mind which fork you use.Vivian turns abruptly back, a horrified look on her face.VIVIANFork?INT. HOTEL DINING ROOM - LATE AFTERNOONCLOSE ANGLE - PLACESETTINGAn elegant formal placesetting complete with a myriad ofdifferent size forks, spoons, stacked china plates and crystalglassware.ANGLE ON MR. THOMAS AND VIVIANsit across from one another at a fully set table.MR. THOMASIn fifteen minutes I can teachyou everything you need to knowto dine with the Queen. First,as you pick up the knife you shiftyour fork to the left hand.VIVIANBut I always eat like this.MR. THOMASEither you’re European or badlybrought up.VIVIANHmmm… I vonder vich.(giggles)MR. THOMASActually, some of the richestpeople I know have the worstmanners. Of course, Mr. Harris,being of old money, knows his wayaround a table. All right now,pay attention please. Salad fork.VIVIANWhat if they serve soup?MR. THOMASThey will serve salad.VIVIANBut what if they serve soup?MR. THOMASThen you use your soup spoon.VIVIAN(smiles)I like steak.MR. THOMAS(picking up theappropriate utensil)Then you would use your–VIVIANSteak spoon!(laughs)Mr. Thomas swallows his exasperation.WE PULL BACK from their table to reveal the cavernous, emptybanquets room, each table is set and ready for the dinnerservice.MR. THOMASMiss Vivian --VIVIANMaybe I’ll just order a burger,Barney, that way I can eat withmy hands.MR. THOMASMiss Vivian… there’s a salonhere in the hotel. Instead ofworrying unnecessarily about tablemanners, why don’t you just haveyour hair done instead?VIVIANProfessionally?INT. SALON - LATE AFTERNOONVivian sits in a salon chair. The last customer, THANE, ayoung man of about twenty with his long hair pulled back in apony tail, tilts her head one way and then another, eyeing herprofessionally.VIVIANI have a friend who has a friendwho does Cher’s wigs.THANEI hate him already.(a beat)All set?VIVIANYeah… what a ya say we chopit all off and bleach the tips.THANEDarling? Trust me.INT. HOTEL LOBBY - EVENINGEdward enters and looks around the lobby. No Vivian. Annoyed.Edward crosses to a house phone and picks it up. He’s aboutto dial when:MR. THOMASGood evening, Mr. Harris.Edward looks at him blankly.MR. THOMASBarnard Thomas, manager of thehotel.EDWARDOf course, yes. If you’ll excuseme just a moment --MR. THOMASI have a message for you from your"niece", sir.EDWARDMy what?MR. THOMASThe young lady staying in your room?Edward’s eyes narrow. He hangs up the phone.EDWARDI think we both know she’s notmy niece.Mr. Thomas looks uncomfortable.EDWARD (cont’d)Does this hotel have any problemwith that?MR. THOMASMr. Harris, a guest of yours, isa guest of ours and shall betreated accordingly. The younglady asked me to tell you thatshe is waiting for you in thelounge.EDWARDThank you.He starts towards the lounge.MR. THOMASVery intriguing young woman, MissVivian.His tone stops Edward in his tracks.MR. THOMAS (cont’d)Have a good evening, sir.And off he goes, leaving Edward to wonder what the helltranspired during the afternoon.INT. HOTEL LOUNGE - NIGHTEdward enters the lounge. He looks around, not seeing Vivian.And suddenly his eyes go back to… the beautiful girl with thebeautifully styled hair in the beautiful black cocktail dressat the piano bar. Edward tries to hide his surprise as Vivianrises, moves elegantly towards him. She smiles.VIVIANYou’re late.Such a beautiful woman deserves an apology and so, withoutthinking:EDWARDI’m sorry.VIVIANYou’re forgiven.She waits expectantly. He holds out an arm. She takes it. Most of us take life for granted. We know that one day we must die, but usually we picture that day as far in the future, when we are in buoyant health, death is all but unimaginable. We seldom think of it. wow gold, The days stretch out in an endless vista. So we go about our petty task, hardly aware of our listless attitude towards life. The same lethargy, I am afraid, characterizes the use of our faculties and senses. Only the deaf appreciate hearing, only the blind realize the manifold blessings that lie in sight url=http://www.wowgoldvip.fr]wow gold. Particularly does this observation apply to those who have lost sight and hearing in adult WOW Power leveling life. But those who have never suffered impairment of sight or hearing seldom make the fullest use of these blessed faculties. Their eyes and ears take in all sights and sound hazily, without concentration, and with little appreciation. It is the same old story of not being grateful for what we conscious of health until we are ill. I have often thought it would be a blessing if each human being were stricken blind and deaf for a few days at some wow gold time during his early adult life. Darkness would make him more appreciative of sight; silence would teach him the joys of sound. WOW Power leveling Now and then I have tested my seeing friends